Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 04:04 PM

6 posts, read 4,762 times

Advertisements

Hi, One of my friends are planning for their kids - to begin with the application process of vanguard schools (elementary schools of magnet school league ) in Dallas ISD. Can anyone give their advice whether these schools are better than normal public schools of Plano or Highland Park. I need to understand this as in future i would also be going through the same process of school admissions. Also we would be purchasing our house based on schooling for kids in Dallas Metroplex area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 04:32 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nams567 View Post
Hi, One of my friends are planning for their kids - to begin with the application process of vanguard schools (elementary schools of magnet school league ) in Dallas ISD. Can anyone give their advice whether these schools are better than normal public schools of Plano or Highland Park. I need to understand this as in future i would also be going through the same process of school admissions. Also we would be purchasing our house based on schooling for kids in Dallas Metroplex area.
the search function is your friend (this has been discussed a LOT here) and the two are not comparable. Plano and HP have good schools, and to get into them you move into the ISD attendance boundary. that's it. to get into the magnet track at DISD, you need a fairly smart kid AND a lot of luck. but given the same motivation and capabilities, a kid from DISD magnets, HPISD, and PISD will have similar opportunity sets in terms of college.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:06 PM

ok, that makes sense. thanks. but you mentioned getting into magnet depends also on luck ? why , i thought it was based on their performance of entrance exams. or maybe i am wrong. do they also have some lottery system or parents profession review or something like that ........

Old 05-23-2016, 09:47 PM

1,429 posts, read 1,778,963 times
There are entrance tests at each level, yes. But there is always an asterisk. At the elementary level, the test is really, really subjective and while some spots are reserved for the very top 30% of scores on that test, the other 70% of spots can depend on where you live geographically in the city. Then siblings get preference. With the middle school vanguards, same thing with sibling preference. The high schools, I believe, are the only ones that are truly merit-based. But the system tends to favor applicants who come up through the DISD magnet system over applicants who don't. So the advantages that skew attendance at the younger magnet schools carry over to the high schools. Luck may or may not be the right word. But the point still stands that you can't simply count on your kid getting in by being incredibly smart and nailing the entrance exam.

Old 05-24-2016, 09:23 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
There are no guarantees to get into a DISD magnet. Each school has its own admission requirements so be sure to understand what they are. Within a school, different grades have varying admission requirements too.
Also understand the better entrance years for schools like Dealey and Harry Stone since they are Montessori.

Old 05-24-2016, 10:08 AM

thank u, all that mentioned is really helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas