Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 10:32 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for an event or show of some sort to attend on new year's eve and to celebrate New Years.

Last year my family and I were roaming around Dallas looking for something to do and boy was that incredibly boring and depressing. We drove around for hours wasting gas asking each other "well what should we do" If only we had planned ahead of time. Really it was very lame. LOL.

We are looking for an entertainment show, a magic show, a concert, a party, art show, cirque du soleil, blue man group show, etc. Something along those lines. Something entertaining. I do not have a problem buying tickets ahead of time.

Any ideas?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-27-2008 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: Three 2008 New Year's Eve threads combined into this one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2008, 08:04 AM

1 posts, read 6,123 times
Smile New Year's Eve Suggestions

I am moving back to Dallas from England in December and wanted to know what decent clubs there are, maybe for new years eve. My friends and I are women, mid to early 20s and looking for somewhere to drink/dance thats not too overpriced or in a bad area. I have looked on other websites, but mostly they just list names of clubs and don't tell you any info about them so if anyone has any favorites or good weekend places, that's what i'm looking for! Thanks!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-29-2008 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: renamed thread to fit all New Year's Eve suggestions

Old 11-29-2008, 12:51 PM

Default NYE and Greenville Ave.

Anything good for adults and parents for NYE on Greenville Ave.? Nothing wild or crazy. Thanks.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-29-2008 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: merged thread with existing one for all New Year's Eve suggestions

Old 12-01-2008, 01:12 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Check out St. Martin's -- also Terilli's and The Grape. Maybe even Kirby's.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:39 PM

Default NYE at Victory Park

I hope it is better than last year.

BIG D NYE | WFAA.com

Old 12-02-2008, 09:50 PM

184 posts, read 551,763 times
I went last year and had a blast. What did you not like about it?

Considering this is Dallas I was actually impressed by the fact that there was a large congregation of people OUTDOORS celebrating to live music...and the police were not disbursing anybody!!

During my 27 years of living in Dallas-which is my entire life I have seen the police break up any kind of outdoor celebration that ever tried to get started.

I remember during the World Cup of 1994 when various teams played at the Cotton Bowl the police went nuts. The best was the Brazil x Holland game where afterwards downtown was invaded by mobs of people cheering and celebrating and having a good time. Sure enough the Dallas PD broke it up quick, much to the chagrin of everybody...including some bewildered Dutch and Brazilian fans who could not understand why this was not allowed!

BUT...Dallas has been making a HUGE push these past 6 years to become more metropolitan and cosmopolitan. Victory Park is one case and point. It seems the NYE celebrations are part of this new "Dallas Identity"

For the better, in my opinion.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:07 PM

339 posts, read 1,436,175 times
Artsyguy, I, too, would like to know what made it not so fun last year? Haven't spent too much time in Victory Park, but only hear good things. Just curious.

Gotta say though that even in my wild 20s I preferred not to go out on NYE. Too many sloppy amateurs and too much expectation to have more fun than some other random party night. Exhausting, lol.

Ambassador, I remember being in Deep Ellum during a weekday right before World Cup and running into some semi-drunk, very confused Europeans who were convinced they weren't really in "Dallas" Dallas. Because their hotel was in the CBD and since downtown back in the day was sooo very dead at night, they thought something was fishy. Kept repeating how big they heard Dallas was, so where were all zeh peepel? I found myself quite apologetic as I understood their frustration. So it's really nice to see some activity all over downtown now and it's pretty surprising how quickly the change has come.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:12 PM

What time did you show up to victory park on NYE last year?

I was there around 9PM and I remember it was freezing cold and thousands of people were just standing around doing nothing. I think some country band played for a little bit and then got off the stage. After 45 minutes it got really boring and I left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambassador View Post
I went last year and had a blast. What did you not like about it?

Considering this is Dallas I was actually impressed by the fact that there was a large congregation of people OUTDOORS celebrating to live music...and the police were not disbursing anybody!!

During my 27 years of living in Dallas-which is my entire life I have seen the police break up any kind of outdoor celebration that ever tried to get started.

I remember during the World Cup of 1994 when various teams played at the Cotton Bowl the police went nuts. The best was the Brazil x Holland game where afterwards downtown was invaded by mobs of people cheering and celebrating and having a good time. Sure enough the Dallas PD broke it up quick, much to the chagrin of everybody...including some bewildered Dutch and Brazilian fans who could not understand why this was not allowed!

BUT...Dallas has been making a HUGE push these past 6 years to become more metropolitan and cosmopolitan. Victory Park is one case and point. It seems the NYE celebrations are part of this new "Dallas Identity"

For the better, in my opinion.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:27 PM

184 posts, read 551,763 times
Yeah, it was REALLY cold! I got there sometime around 10 then stayed until after 1 am. It was crowded enough that people were bumping into eachother. Trust me...it was fun. And when it comes to parties and celebrations my bar is set pretty high. I'm the one usually complaining about how dead and lifeless Dallas' nightlife is unless you enjoy pretentious $30k millionaires hooting and hollering at some New York City wannabe bar in uptown.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:46 AM

779 posts, read 2,247,279 times
I have always spent New Years Eve in the comfort of my home in Oklahoma with my family and am scared to celebrate it with other people who drink like there is no tomorrow. I think that it would be fun, however, to celebrate New Years Eve in Dallas like they do in New York City, just for the experience, but in the safest manner possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas