Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 03:32 AM

1 posts, read 13,405 times

Advertisements

940: where R those PR restaurants?? I just moved here and I'm missing my PR/DR food : (
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 06:37 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,044 times
I am half Cuban and Half Italian. I lived in Puerto Rico for two years. Now I live in Plano. All the caribbbean hispanics live in Florida and New York. Everyone in Texas will think your Mexican. I get it all the time. I have green eyes and light skin but everyone thinks Im mexican here because they do not know better. And I only know of one Cuban Restaurant in Dallas that is good. Im pretty sure the people that work there are Cuban. You may want to go there and ask them.

Caribbean Cafe

- caribbeancafecuba.com
1000 Webb Chapel Rd, Carrollton - (972) 418-7071

Old 12-08-2008, 02:26 AM

291 posts, read 674,728 times
I am Puerto Rican but love Cuban food b/c it's the closest to Puerto Rican food and unless you're in NY or Chicago, good look finding Puerto Rican food.

There is a place in Knox/Henderson that I went to that had great Cuban food!

Old 12-08-2008, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Those population numbers I posted are 8 years old...

Houston is going to have the most Spanish speaking diversity & culture in Texas no matter what others may argue.

True about Florida. The majority of Puerto Rican's in the US tend to live on the East Coast & South Eastern states. I had no idea Atlanta has the PR population it does.
Actually, outside of NYC, Chicago has one of the largest Puerto Rican populations outside of Puerto Rico.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 13,271 times
I have been here 5 years and the closest I have come to Puerto Rican food is the Cuban owned Carribean Cafe. While it is the closest to Puerto Rican food I can find, it is not Puerto Rican food so I still ache for it.

I have had the occasion to cook Puerto Rican food for my friends and they love it. And I can cook it, but I am more of a healthy eater (and you KNOW Puerto Rican food isn't on the diet menu) and I want to be able to get in the car from time to time and hit a spot that is owned by someone who will make it the old school way, like I had growing up. I miss my pasteles during the holidays. I'd love to be able to find someone who makes them and sells them.

On the topic of limiting oneself to those in their ethnic group, I don't think that is what the OP meant. I think he/she wanted to be able to have access to those things that are dear and familiar to him/her. I have Caucasian friends that do the same - wanting to stay close to their roots, wherever they may be from. I personally would love to connect with a few fellow Puerto Ricans AND Ecuadorans. It's even harder to find Ecuadoran food and it is yummy.

As far as groceries - it took a while but I have it down. Kroger sells Goya products in abundance, so do many Mexican grocery stores. Surpisingly enough, the Asian markets sell them too AND they have all the veggies and herbs we love: yautia, yucca, platanos, name, recao, cilantro, banana leaves, calabaza......they have a huge fish market and their meat is very inexpensive; they carry the pork shoulder picnic cut for pernil all the time. The H-Mart on Trinity Mills and 190 is the one I recommend above every asian mart I've been to.

I'll post more as I come across it.

Last edited by PastelesPorFavor; 12-24-2008 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: spacing

Old 12-24-2008, 03:00 PM

251 posts, read 1,532,091 times
ahhhh....I miss them rican/dominican bonitas in the jersey/nyc area.Actually that's the only thing I've missed ever since moving down to dallas 2 years ago.

Old 12-24-2008, 07:44 PM

Okay, why is everyone bringing up pasteles lately!!! Aaargh. I love them and my mom makes some awesome ones. I wish I knew how to cook

Old 12-30-2008, 10:51 PM

60 posts, read 280,076 times
Default Puerto rican food in dallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cggirl View Post
okay, why is everyone bringing up pasteles lately!!! Aaargh. I love them and my mom makes some awesome ones. I wish i knew how to cook

i know how hard it is to find home made pr food. I have very good pr friends a few of which i've been friends with going on 14 years now. I realize it's a very small community but there are a lot more pr's here in the dfw area than one would think. And plenty of us other latinos that adore pr people, the culture, food, and music too.

Honestly there's only one place that i'm aware of in carrollton but it's a columbian restaurant. Therefore, they do not have a large variety of pr food. Nor is it as authentic as what you could get from your moms or even a cuchifrito in ny.

A side note: My fiance is puerto rican and has been in texas for 2 years now. City-dallas unfortunately does now allow me to advertise. But i know of another place where you can get some really good homemade pr food! *wink*wink*

Old 01-01-2009, 05:27 PM

3 posts, read 20,627 times
I know how you feel. I just moved from NYC this past year and it's like a different world here. I am finding it difficult to adjust.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:37 PM

60 posts, read 280,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosieNYC View Post
I know how you feel. I just moved from NYC this past year and it's like a different world here. I am finding it difficult to adjust.
sorry to hear that. when i go up to nyc i feel a little out of place. i've actually been mistaken for a puerto rican. which if i were one, i'd be proud to say it. but i'm mexican, therefore, i rep what i know. hopefully, more people from all over will move out this way to help dallas be a more diverse city. i think it's one of the many things i love about nyc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas