Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 11:43 AM

19 posts, read 20,045 times

Advertisements

I've been a central Pennsylvanian all my life, except for a summer internship with a company in New Hampshire (first time living on my own, first time living outside of PA.) I will be graduating college in May and am considering offers in Plano TX, Richmond VA, McLean VA, Seattle WA, Dover NH, and Chevy Chase, MD. I'm a 22 year old white male, single, and I am most compelled to take my Plano offer.

One of the most important things for me to consider is a place to live. I'm not big on night life, but I definitely don't want to travel too far if I decide to go out. I want to feel safe in a fairly quiet community. For these reasons, Richmond, McLean, and Chevy Chase are a bit less appealing to me (the first for safety reasons and the latter for noise reasons). Plano, at a glance, seems to be what I'm looking for, and if it is, I need to consider affordable-but-decent communities to live in. I've heard good things about some east and central Plano, but I'm totally unfamiliar with the culture of any location in Texas. I've never visited any of the central US states.

I'd like to keep my hobbies in mind when I move: I love to play soccer, drum, program, game, and go to church. I don't know how into soccer Texas is, though I guess there's an MLS team in Dallas. Hopefully that raises the chance of me joining a league of some sort. As for the drumming, I have an electronic kit, but even that could potentially annoy close neighbors in a paper-walls apartment. As for the gaming and programming, a solid internet connection is a must. Not sure if there are any areas infamous for poor connection that I should avoid.

Other than that, I want to open this up for discussion. If you have lived anywhere in or around Plano that you think might be a good fit, I'd love to hear it. If you have any feedback on the other locations, I would also be interested in discussing possible places to live there. I have about a week to decide what I want to do and I'm kind of stressing out, so please give me any feedback you can. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 11:52 AM

455 posts, read 578,998 times
I am not a big fan of Plano, but if I lived there id probably look at stuff west of Preston road. Or far north Plano.

But you can work in Plano and live in other areas like Frisco.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:17 PM

216 posts, read 344,203 times
I think you will like it actually. Although Plano is not known for young single people - they can be found. Mainly around Shops at Legacy which is North - right by Frisco. I haven't heard of any dodgy internet around there. As far as soccer - there are a lot of parks in Plano and definitely in East Dallas (where I live) and I am sure you could probably get into a game easily enough. And churches - well there are lots of those there and pretty much every denomination - so I think you will really like it here. I can say though - that in the summer it gets hot and the lack of trees (not like PA) might take a bit to get orientated to - but congrats on all the great offers!

Old 10-24-2014, 12:41 PM

48 posts, read 63,447 times
I've lived in DC and am familiar with the McLean and Chevy Chase area. DMV area, (DC ,Maryland, Virginia) is also one of the most expensive to live in the country. Young, single, just graduating from college, I would choose DMV area for quality of life. Restaurants, outdoor activities (hiking, running, mtns nearby, proximity to all of the eastern seaboard). Tons of activities for you, as well as like minded individuals. Plenty of safe and quiet neighborhoods in McLean and Chevy Chase.

That said, DMV is a rat race, everyone looking to get ahead and working on careers. Luxury cars everywhere. Most everyone is highly educated and will have graduate degrees. Good public transportation with the metro.

I live near Addison, TX now and looking to move to East Dallas. Dallas, offers no state income tax, rents and cost of living lower than DC, but not as cheap as you may think. DMV area, apts are approx 10-20% higher. Dallas is great to start career and family.

Plano is suburban, but so is Chevy Chase and McLean. You have more opportunities for pick up soccer as well as leagues in those areas imo. DMV is hot and humid in the summer. Texas is hot in the summer, much less humidity. DMV hsa 4 seasons, Texas has 2.5.

Can't go really go wrong with either of locations. Congrats on having the ability to choose. If they're all with same company, then you could choose now, and if you don't like it, maybe relocate.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Look at the Shops at Legacy area. Tons of restaurants and plenty of active life all throughout the week. Lots of young professionals too.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:57 PM

533 posts, read 643,475 times
Plano sounds like a good fit for your needs. But since you've lived all your life on the east coast, the one thing I would say to you is to not expect Plano or Texas to be like the east coast. Come with an open mind and embrace the differences. If you do that, you will love it here!

Old 10-24-2014, 01:12 PM

477 posts, read 1,052,285 times
If I were you, I'd maybe fly here for a weekend and check it out just to see what Plano and TX is like. Personally, if I were in my early 20's and right out of college i'd choose DC area or Seattle. No way i'd choose Plano or as my twenty something friends like to call it, "Plaino." With that said, you may love it. That's why I suggest checking out the area before making your decision.
If you do choose Plano maybe consider actually living in Uptown, Addison, etc just to be closer to more people you age.

Old 10-24-2014, 01:13 PM

5,265 posts, read 6,410,278 times
Quote:
though I guess there's an MLS team in Dallas
The Dallas MLS team, FC Dallas, actually plays in Frisco, a short drive away from where everyone is recommending you live, the Shops at Legacy in Plano.

Plano is mostly very suburban, but has a few pockets of something like transit oriented development (without the transit-trains only available on the far east side of town), or new urbanism development or whatever you want to call it. The Shops at Legacy is one of those, with apartments, bars, restaurants, and retail all right there in the same complex. Toyota is moving their US HQ to that area, and it is about to really grow in size with their HQ being also new urbanism devleopment, with pedestrian connections across the highways.

Programming jobs are pretty common in that area as well - several major data centers are there, and several telco companies (and their supporting vendors) are located in Plano.

If the progamming/work you do is for the Feds or a defense contractor, I'd recommend you stay in the NE. Much more opportunities there for that.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:29 PM

19 posts, read 20,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacajun76 View Post
I've lived in DC and am familiar with the McLean and Chevy Chase area. DMV area, (DC ,Maryland, Virginia) is also one of the most expensive to live in the country. Young, single, just graduating from college, I would choose DMV area for quality of life. Restaurants, outdoor activities (hiking, running, mtns nearby, proximity to all of the eastern seaboard). Tons of activities for you, as well as like minded individuals. Plenty of safe and quiet neighborhoods in McLean and Chevy Chase.
Are there any neighborhoods in the McLean area you might recommend that are safe/quiet? When I lived in NH I was very close to the university in a woodsy area. Even though I was about 7 minutes from campus, I felt a little nervous living in the woods on my own. Would have preferred somewhere just on the outside of UNH, probably. Not sure if there are any good small communities right outside the city I could look at. I'd be curious to know what kind of salary you'd consider living comfortably in this area, too. We can carry over to PMs if you're not comfortable publicizing numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
If the progamming/work you do is for the Feds or a defense contractor, I'd recommend you stay in the NE. Much more opportunities there for that.
I'm looking at banks and insurance companies at the moment, so no government work for me.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:30 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,758,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by globe9 View Post
If I were you, I'd maybe fly here for a weekend and check it out just to see what Plano and TX is like. Personally, if I were in my early 20's and right out of college i'd choose DC area or Seattle. No way i'd choose Plano or as my twenty something friends like to call it, "Plaino." With that said, you may love it. That's why I suggest checking out the area before making your decision.
If you do choose Plano maybe consider actually living in Uptown, Addison, etc just to be closer to more people you age.
Never been to the Shops area have you? Its not as big as Uptown or Addison, but there are plenty of young professionals in that area and its full of bars and restaurants. Its also pretty active area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas