Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2008, 09:29 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times

Advertisements

Has anybody been to some shows at the improv?

Can you post your reviews on it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 10:05 PM

339 posts, read 1,436,286 times
Reviews on the venue itself? Well, from my experience it's a pretty fun, rather typical comedy spot. Small seating area, small stage, 2 drink minimum, fairly nice and clean. Some of the weekend shows are dinner shows, not included in the ticket price of course, but think you get priority seating with those reservations. The food is just adequate, IMO. I've seen some quite unfunny standup there, some real groaners of warm up guys, but ultimately a lot of side-splitting talent too. (RIP, Mitch Hedberg.)

They book a bit of everything, the audience varies too. When the big name headliners come out, the crowd sometimes dresses up a bit, but it's a fairly casual spot and I like it just because it's a convenient drive from my house. Everyone should go at least once. Sign up for their weekly email and you can get advanced word of the lineup.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:09 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Have you been to their comedy magic show?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacvb1974 View Post
Reviews on the venue itself? Well, from my experience it's a pretty fun, rather typical comedy spot. Small seating area, small stage, 2 drink minimum, fairly nice and clean. Some of the weekend shows are dinner shows, not included in the ticket price of course, but think you get priority seating with those reservations. The food is just adequate, IMO. I've seen some quite unfunny standup there, some real groaners of warm up guys, but ultimately a lot of side-splitting talent too. (RIP, Mitch Hedberg.)

They book a bit of everything, the audience varies too. When the big name headliners come out, the crowd sometimes dresses up a bit, but it's a fairly casual spot and I like it just because it's a convenient drive from my house. Everyone should go at least once. Sign up for their weekly email and you can get advanced word of the lineup.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:35 PM

339 posts, read 1,436,286 times
Nope, have never seen a comedy magic show at Improv. My taste usually runs more to the edgy stuff and if I even suspect there's audience participation, I get a panic attack. Can't handle that, lol.

Sorta off topic, but do you enjoy community theatre or think you'd be into our local improv troupes? Pocket Sandwich comes to mind. (Hey think they're doing a New Year's thing too, re: your other thread.) Also, just for an inexpensive night out for well produced, but low budget and truly 'community theatre', I really enjoy Richardson Theatre Centre.

Pocket Sandwich Theatre
Home Page (RTC)

Old 11-29-2008, 03:17 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,804,066 times
We've always enjoyed another improv place more - Ad-Libs in Dallas - started way back by a group of locals, always fun entertainment, voted "Best of Dallas 2007 to Improvise" by the Dallas Observer.

Their theater was at Ross and Routh Streets for "forever!" (sorry to hear the old building was torn down ), but they're still performing at the Mouth Restaurant, 2626 Main St., on Fri-Sat nights until their new theater is ready (call 214-754-7050 for show info and reservations).

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-08-2008 at 06:53 AM..

Old 12-08-2008, 02:19 AM

291 posts, read 674,801 times
That building - Ad Libs - was torn down a while ago. Used to live walking distance from it. I always thought it was an odd location but was sad to see it go even though I haven't lived here long.

Saw Hal Sparks at the Improv. Had such an awesome time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas