Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 8,290 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I will be relocating to the Dallas area in September from Illinois. I lost my job last year and have been applying to jobs everywhere, even out of state. Luckily, I have 4 job interviews in the next few months and they are in: Grand Prairie, Arlington, Irving and Mesquite. I'd really like to live close to work, but I'm not sure of the quality of life in these places when compared to a big city like Dallas. I have never visited Texas and because of limited funds, I won't have the opportunity to explore all of these cities to find a place to settle down. I'll barely be able to pay for round trip tickets and hotels for each of the job interviews, but I have to do what I have to do. My wife might have to leave her job to relocate with me, so we'll be living off a yearly income of $55,000.

My wife and I are in our mid-30's, no children and we have a dog. We're looking for a place to live that offers the following and we're also going to RENT until we know for sure if the city we decide on will be "the one":

Outdoor activities (fishing, walking trails, beautiful parks for our dog)
Great restaurants (chain restaurants yuck!)
Upscale shopping (my wife insists on having a Whole Foods Market close by within 15 miles ideally)
Charming cafes and bookstores
Nice, down to earth people (I've read stories on the folks in Highland Park, care to confirm or deny? LOL)

I've been racking my brain on this website and of course everyone has their own opinions. I'd appreciate any feedback you could give. Although Grand Prairie, Irving, Arlington and Mesquite are places where I'll be interviewing, I'm very open to other areas too, just not sure which ones. I've read A LOT of good things about the LAKEWOOD area. Lakewood seems to have a lot of things my wife and I are looking for, but then again, some internet sites can be deceiving.

Thanks for all your help and whoever picks the winning city, when my wife and I finally move there, we'll take you out for drinks Thanks again!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 07:30 PM

11,858 posts, read 26,891,424 times
Get the job first, then decide where to live. Lakewood would be an easy commute to Mesquite, but horrible to Arlington or GP, and pretty bad to irving.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,013 times
For what you are looking for the Lakewood area is your best bet. Good restaurants/bookstores/coffee shops etc. White Rock Lake is right there, which satisfies your need for outdoor activities. Plus, the Lakewood Whole Foods is the best in town. This would be a great place to live, esp. if you get the job in Mesquite.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:58 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,485,157 times
East Dallas area is where the down to earth people live. That includes Lakewood, Old East Dallas, Munger Place, Junius Heights, Little Forest Hills, Casa Linda, etc. Look in zips 75214, 75218, 75228.

To commute to Arlington or Grand Prairie from Lakewood - take Abrams south and stay on the street. It will change names a few times although the same street (Abrams, Columbia, Main, Canton, Young). Once you get to Harwood near the Farmer's Market turn left at head toward I-30. Turn right onto the I-30 feeder road heading west. There is no traffic here; you will see once you do it. Once you get to the mixmaster (I-30 and I-35 come together) merge over to the left one lane and you are on I-30west....it's so easy and not a lot of trouble at all.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:10 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,274,546 times
Sounds like Lakewood might indeed be a good place for you if you can find something suitable in your income bracket. Check out crime rates before you settle in some areas. That would be my one piece of advice. I agree with you that renting is probably a good idea before getting locked into an area.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:13 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,172,928 times
Also try 75223 which is Hollywood Heights. I think if you take your dog to White Rock Dog Park, Dallas, TX go shopping at Lakewood Whole Foods, stop in for some wine at Times Ten times ten cellars - Dallas and Fort Worth, Texas Winery - Wine Tasting Bar and have diinner at York Street Dallas you are going to be hooked on Lakewood! And then there's Henderson, Lower Greenville, Ellum/Expo/Fair Park and so many other places to explore..

Old 02-04-2010, 02:36 PM

Lakewooder,

You've got me sold! LOL You were just helping me out for the free drinks right? Ok fine, I'll toss in a steak dinner too. Wish me luck and I'll be out there hopefully by July.

Bulldog

P.S You have no idea how ecstatic my wife is about Whole Foods. Picture a gorgeous lady with green eyes jumping up and down with her hair flopping all over the place. You know the old saying, happy wife = happy husband. LOL

Old 02-04-2010, 04:44 PM

339 posts, read 1,436,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog1975 View Post

P.S You have no idea how ecstatic my wife is about Whole Foods. Picture a gorgeous lady with green eyes jumping up and down with her hair flopping all over the place. You know the old saying, happy wife = happy husband. LOL
Well then she may be equally excited about Central Market | Home | Love Your Grocery Store

Personally, I usually prefer it to Whole Foods just because not all Whole Foods are created equally down here, IMO. (Though the Lakewood location is a great one.) Dallas really does have some awesome spots when it comes to higher end/organic grocery shopping and the Central Market Lover's Lane location is pretty convenient to Lakewood. About ten minutes, if that.

Good luck with those job interviews and hope you'll make it to town soon.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:53 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,585,914 times
I came to recommend Lakewood even when going to Arlington or Irving could be bad.

Old 02-04-2010, 07:21 PM

Thanks kacvb1974! I forwarded the link you sent me to my wife and now she's super duper excited, haha! I always kid around with her about that whole organic vs conventional thing telling her it doesn't matter what you eat because we'll wind up being organic ourselves once we leave this earth, haha! Sounds a bit morbid, but much funnier in person. God bless Texas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas