Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 12:31 AM

6 posts, read 15,127 times

Advertisements

We are relocating the family in about a month and have no idea where to live. We get mixed input from the few people that have shared with us so far. Hubby to work at DFW so I will find work where we settle or as close to it as possible. We are going to be renting and want guidance to find the most home for the $. The area is so HUGE compared to what we are used to that I am completely overwhelmed just starting the search online. I am supposed to come to the area in a few days and look at possible homes. Where should we look?

By the way, thank you in advance for answering. I have a true appreciation for your willingness to answer such similar questions over and over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 12:38 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,564,452 times
How many bedrooms do you need, what is your budget, and do you prefer a home or apartment?

I imagine Lewisville and Irving has loads of homes to rent. There are also some really nice apartment complexes just north of DFW at Grapevine Mills.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:14 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,771,620 times
I love Irving; it's close to DFW and Dallas.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:17 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,508,869 times
When you say DFW, do you mean "DFW Airport", or the metroplex?

Old 03-28-2010, 06:29 AM

11,866 posts, read 26,910,887 times
I'd recommend looking on the west side of DFW Airport. The cities are: Grapevine, Euless and Bedford. All of these have nice rental properties (both apartments and houses). You didn't say your budget or how big of a place you need.

Keep your husband's commute short. Most of the freeway on the north and east side of DFW are being reconstructed and the process will last 5 years. It will be wonderful once it is finished, but a pain to drive through in the mean time. Any property on the north or east side of DFW (north part of Grapevine, Lewisville, Flower Mound, Irving/Las Colinas and Coppell) will make him have to drive through the construction every day.

Old 03-28-2010, 08:10 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,929,795 times
you say "family" but don't mention children's ages or if schools are concern for you
the fact that your title mentions PETS also means that could be factor in finding housing if you are renting--some apts and home rentals screen pets as much as humans

you don't mention price point--that is always a factor in where people move

there are MANY areas that might work--too many unknown factors right now to make an informed decision

but I would say that if DFW refers to the airport area specifically vs the entire metroplex area generally
the areas with moderate housing prices and low crime, good schools, plenty of positives like churches/shopping/parks would include
Hurst, Euless, Bedford, Grapevine, North Richland Hills, some parts of north Arlington area, some parts of north Irving/Las Colinas, and Flower Mound/Lewisville--but that is large area and commute and cost vary depending

these towns are very nice areas with good schools but housing costs are higher and not sure about rental availability and NO apartments
Coppell, Colleyville, Southlake

there are parts of North Grand Prairie that are close to DFW but area is more mixed and "iffy" just as Irving and Arlington are...

Carrollton-Farmer's Branch is fairly close to DFW airport--housing costs are fairly affordable--but you have to be selective about where--some schools in CFBISD are good and some aren't so great...

Old 03-28-2010, 10:42 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,479,615 times
Don't worry about the millions of choices and the big area. Just try and find something within 10 miles of the job. If for some reason the schools aren't "good enough" within 10 miles, only then broaden the search.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:39 PM

Default More Info

Wow! You are all great responders.
Can't believe I did not think to include this helpful info
DFW airport for hubby's work
Homeschooled in the past but looking at putting youngest into school
Hubby, Me and 2 of our children both in teens
2 dogs and a very independent cat
3 bd/2ba minimum
is $800 realistic for rent?
We are leaving Eastern Washington, hubby has been commuting for 2 years. We should have done this sooner, but I was afraid. Small town girl moves to the city .

Old 03-28-2010, 01:02 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,479,615 times
You are probably going to have to spend more than $800/month for a single family home that is half way decent and in a good school district. I'm thinking at least $1200/month if not more.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:05 PM

Yikes! Cannot exceed $1000 - Maybe that is why we have not moved before now. I thought the cost of living in DFW metroplex was less than Eastern Washington. I guess I was wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas