Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 11:17 PM

5 posts, read 14,976 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how bad the commute would be from uptown to Parker and the Toll Way? I am moving to Dallas and several of the people I have talked to have suggested uptown for the type of living that I am looking for...it looks to be far from where I will be working though. Also, how much will it cost to take the Toll Way all the way up? Would there be a better/faster/cheaper way? Thanks!
Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 11:27 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,254,649 times
I think the commute wouldn't be bad at all since you will be going against traffic. I estimate about 30 minutes. I think there are 3 tollbooths. Someone who makes the route may give a more accurate answer on pricing.

Naima

Old 01-05-2009, 11:35 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,430 times
Where you are going to work is probably 20-25 miles north of Uptown. The tollway is the best way to get there. Without traffic you can probably do it in less than 30 minutes. Fortunately you will be making a reverse commute. Not sure how much it will cost each way, but almost any amount of money would be worth it to me not to live in Plano. If you want to live in an urban environment, Uptown or Downtown are your best options.

NTTA: Traffic

Old 01-06-2009, 12:23 AM

175 posts, read 405,013 times
I do that trip half of the week, close to uptown to plano (exactly to parker rd).

The trip depends on the time of the day.
Going up to Plano-Parker in the morning is good, and easy, no traffic at all, will be around 25miles, and 30mins (including uptown city drive to the tollway).

On tollway there is one toll at Wycliff, one at Beltline and one at Parker exit (Each $1). But I do take the Plano Pkwy exit instead of Parker as it is a free exit. Get a tolltag and you will save 25% off the regular toll prices (as i remember it is 25%). You will get a tolltag and give your credit card, it will be charged automatically.

The tricky part for the commute back to uptown is dependent of the time of the day. For some reason if I go back from Parker around 5pm-6pm I sometimes see traffic on tollway starting Frankford to Beltline, sometimes to 635. At certain times you will see accidents etc during rush hour on the Northbound Tollway, but Southbound will also be busy due to lookers.

If you are going on a Friday back to Uptown you will definitely hit traffic around 6pm, and commute may take 45mins or more, if there is accident etc 1 hour or more. Other days it just depends. I usually leave around 6.30p so I don't hit traffic and arrive to intown in about 30 mins.

Be careful with the cops, they usually hide before Frankford exit just off the cliff, Beltline Toll entrance, and just after 635. The cops are not city cops, they are state troopers and they do not give you a free ride. At least in my experiences and from what I have heard and seen they do not. The speed limit is 55-60 depending on the area (on tollway) and 15 over will set you a hefty fine, $200+ (as I remember).

I wish there was a rail line on tollway to downtown, I would have taken that instead of driving

I stay in intown dallas and in plano (parker to be exact). I do like parker and tollway, it is very established, and close to many places by driving, there is Target, Wal Mart, Kroger, a big mall, starbucks, fast food, restaurants, a movie theater within 3 mile radius. A few miles up north there is Legacy Square (urban wannabe pocket area in the middle of suburbia - laughable) with many visitors, restaurants, specialty stores etc.

It is not like intown living at all. But not excessively suburbic as well. So you can actually consider living in the Parker/Tollway area and go to uptown etc for the 30K mill lifestyle. Instead of uptown I would recommend Turtle Creek area, and Oak Lawn towards Preston neighborhood (if you think you will get tired of the young "wannabe" crowd soon).

Old 01-06-2009, 10:35 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,474,475 times
As PPs have stated it's a no problem commute. To make it even easier, if you check NTTA.org before you leave, you can get a traffic report before you leave and then avoid and accidents or jams. Use daltrans.org for the rest of the highways.

If NTTA.org shows a major jam on the Tollway, there are many other roads through town you can take as an alternative. I do it like this. If NTTA.org shows the Tollway is jammed at LBJ, I will get off at the prior exit and take a different north/south route. Roads Like Preston, Marsh, Inwood, Hillcrest are all decent 35 - 40 MPH highways that make a nice alternative to the highways.

Dallas's traffic is moderate. Perhaps to someone from Topeka it will seem tough but to someone from LA it will seem easy.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:40 AM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times
Have you considered Addison. It's not as trendy as uptown but you would be alot closer to work and would have plenty of bars and restaurants to choose from.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:14 PM

625 posts, read 1,956,315 times
dude, I do exactly what Grainraiser suggested. It's 30-35 minutes from uptown, and even further away depending on where you live. When I moved, I basically said to myself "Is an hour in the car everyday worth a $10 cab ride on the weekends?" To me it wasn't. I live in Addison, and the commute is only 12 minutes. Way better.

Zatires, what exactly is "intown"? never heard that term before.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:57 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
dude, I do exactly what Grainraiser suggested. It's 30-35 minutes from uptown, and even further away depending on where you live. When I moved, I basically said to myself "Is an hour in the car everyday worth a $10 cab ride on the weekends?" To me it wasn't. I live in Addison, and the commute is only 12 minutes. Way better.

Exactly... I lived in uptown and hated trips during rush hour to Collin County. If you work in DT Dallas, Uptown is great... working up north, Addison is a better choice.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:35 PM

175 posts, read 405,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post

Intown for me is living in the "urban" areas of Dallas where proximity is close by, walking or public transport distance. Such area for me includes the following;
OakLawn neighborhood, Turtle Creek, Uptown, Knox-H, WestVillage, McKinney, Cedar Springs, Victory Park, Downtown (partially). The above areas are within 3-4 miles of each other depending on where you are at, are "walkable" (maybe not as good as really urban cities), public transport can be used, denser in population and proximity to basic needs are decent.

Those are the areas I associate "intown" as.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas