Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:02 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I have no clue what the inside of this house looks like but I WANT IT!!!!!! OHMY!!! The architecture of it........... the yard...... drool......

Oh, this area is called Oak Lawn Heights. The house my parents rented when I was born is in this area as well and is FOR SALE!!! I can't believe the price. AND THEY COULD HAVE BOUGHT IT A FEW YEARS AGO FOR NOTHING!!! slap head....
It is beautiful. I looked it up in the MLS and the interior is equally nice. Very mid-century modern. I've been in other houses near it that are also on the cliff looking down to the creek and I got the feeling of being in the jungle somewhere. Prices have escalated a lot in Oak Lawn Hts. But it is interesting to note that the seller originally listed it for $349,900 in late August. I guess reality set in shortly thereafter, because they have it much more reasonably priced now. The only downside about that neighborhood is the noise of planes constantly flying over as they depart or arrive at Lovefield.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 07:16 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
Plus, it's easy to go up Sylvan/Wycliff over the Trinity to get to Parkland so highway traffic shouldn't be a concern.

I'm sending you a message with the other good landlord in the area.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:55 AM

27 posts, read 94,466 times
Default Bishop Arts & other areas

Ldbug35, I am also a single, female grad student. My dog and I live in the South Boulevard historical district just Southeast of downtown, near Fair Park. We've been here since May and I love it. There are not often rentals on the market, though I did notice a sign on Park Row. There are also interesting places to rent in the Junius Heights historical district - historical homes that have been turned into 4-plexes. My daughter almost moved into one that was $900 and 1600 sf (yes, you read that correctly). It has a gated backyard with covered parking and the landlady accepts pets. Each unit has wood floors and central heat and air. My daughter accepted a job in Arlington, so she moved there instead. The Bishop Arts District in Oak Cliff will have some interesting places and you might also find something around Lake Cliff in Oak Cliff. The South Hampton area is also nice and would be extremely convenient for you, as it's almost a straight shot to Parkland and yet also very close to I30 to get to Arlington.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:44 AM

67 posts, read 294,900 times
Again, thank you all so much for your input and information! I just want to make sure I have this all right. The areas that would be considered safe include: Oak Lawn Heights, Bishop Arts District, South Boulevard Historic District, Junius Heights Historical District and South Hampton area?

Now for a new problem.... I have no idea where the places are and I can't look them up by naming the suburb. I have the zip code for Oak Lawn Heights. Does anyone know the zips for the rest of the area or a way I can find them? I hate to keep badgering you folks for info... but I don't know how else to get this info!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, if you guys know of anything in these areas that is for sale (in need or repairs is good because it is probably all I can afford), please let me know. I don't mind living in a not so perfect place if it is in a good area. I can make it liveable until I graduate, then really fix it!!

Thanks again for all of your help!

Old 01-10-2009, 11:54 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbug35 View Post
Again, thank you all so much for your input and information! I just want to make sure I have this all right. The areas that would be considered safe include: Oak Lawn Heights, Bishop Arts District, South Boulevard Historic District, Junius Heights Historical District and South Hampton area?

Now for a new problem.... I have no idea where the places are and I can't look them up by naming the suburb. I have the zip code for Oak Lawn Heights. Does anyone know the zips for the rest of the area or a way I can find them? I hate to keep badgering you folks for info... but I don't know how else to get this info!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, if you guys know of anything in these areas that is for sale (in need or repairs is good because it is probably all I can afford), please let me know. I don't mind living in a not so perfect place if it is in a good area. I can make it liveable until I graduate, then really fix it!!

Thanks again for all of your help!
The zip code for Bishop Arts District in N. Oak Cliff is 75208. Go to www.ooccl.org to find a map of the many neighborhoods in that area. Hampton Rd. is a very long road, so parts of it will be in 75208, 75211, 75224 and 75232. Don't know about zips for the other areas, but this is a start.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:57 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
I HIGHLY SUGGEST that the OP get a Dallas Mapsco ASAP!!! This will be of WONDERFUL benefit. You can look up each street, zipcodes, etc. Even us natives depend on our mapsco's a good bit. Especially when it comes to all of those new streets out on the praries.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:59 PM

67 posts, read 294,900 times
Thanks for all the advice, zips and other information. I will definitely invest in the mapster. I am headed to Dallas this coming Saturday to look at the areas you guys have mentioned. I appreciate all of your input!!!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 07:02 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
I was in the North Oak Cliff area last night. I installed a fireplace for a co-worker and had to go to the Home Depot. Does anyone no the rough boundary cross street for the most desirable areas. I was driving down Hampton and it was hard to tell.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:59 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I HIGHLY SUGGEST that the OP get a Dallas Mapsco ASAP!!! This will be of WONDERFUL benefit. You can look up each street, zipcodes, etc. Even us natives depend on our mapsco's a good bit. Especially when it comes to all of those new streets out on the praries.
I recently bought myself a new one to replace one from 1995. You can find them at Target in the magazine aisle where the books are sold....there's a small selection of maps, but this Mapsco is one of the best. There's a Rand McNally version of the book/map too, but it isn't as good as Mapsco.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:43 AM

308 posts, read 1,232,475 times
[quote=ldbug35;6929827]Again, thank you all so much for your input and information! I just want to make sure I have this all right. The areas that would be considered safe include: Oak Lawn Heights, Bishop Arts District, South Boulevard Historic District, Junius Heights Historical District and South Hampton area?

quote]

The only area that you listed above that has a remote chance of being safe for you is Junius Heights, and even then I would not recommend it.

As a lot of people recommended in the other thread you posted, South Dallas and almost anything South of I-30 in Dallas city limits is not safe for a single woman living alone. Crime is rampant in Dallas, even in the best & expensive areas of town, and is even worse south of I30.

Safer, decent areas in Dallas are not cheap. Expect to pay at a minimum $600-$700 for a small 1BR apartment, and at least $200k for a small decent house.

If you have a limited budget, I would consider getting a roommate or commuting from further away, maybe one of the northern suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas