Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:16 AM

686 posts, read 3,715,810 times

Advertisements

HI there, I am considering attending UNT up in Denton and would like to know what people think of the school. Anyone attend or know someone who has attended or is attending?

I'd mainly like to know if the school hs a reputation for being good academically. What kind of things are there to do around the school, and what Denton is like in general.

What are the dorms and such like? Does the school have interesting extracurricular activites?

Thanks much and I appreciate your responses,

Daniel
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 03:20 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,419,089 times
Proud UNT grad here.

I very much enjoyed my time at UNT. It's a big school, but the professors do an excellent job with managing it, and I felt I got a very good education. A lot of their programs are very highly rated, particularly their education and music programs. It felt pretty generic for the generic course, like history and such, but once you get into your major classes, all my professors were excellent.

UNT obviously doesn't have the prestige of Baylor or SMU or some place like that, but I doubt you'd find many, if any, people would call UNT a bad school.

I can't speak to the dorms, as I didn't live on campus, but Denton is a very cool town with lots to do, particularly if you like music. Plus, Dallas and Fort Worth aren't terrible drives for restaurants and such.

Another benefit to UNT is that there are a lot of graduates around the D/FW area, so if you want to find a job here, it's highly probable that someone you speak to in an interview will have gone to or know someone who went to UNT, which is never a bad thing.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:08 AM

126 posts, read 339,636 times
I graduated from UNT. Have been the student ambassador so know a lot more detail about the school in general.

UNT is the biggest school in the metroplex and growing. Depends on what you major in, UNT is great for a few specific ones and really good in general. I tutored students in Computer sciences, Math, Journalism, Nutrition (web ct). Great professors and good curriculum. UNT has onr of the best teacher to student ratio.

UNT campus has lots of activities in general. Their Student union is very nice and have a list of things going on in school for that week. I am not sure if they still have the 'Fry street fair' but that's something I looked forward to. Good places to eat and hang out around the Univ.

From my personal experience, I really liked my time and education at UNT.

Old 01-14-2009, 06:35 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Speaking as an employer, UNT grads seem to know what they are doing and are well-educated!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:53 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
UNT has gotten more into the mix since the new president--he is much more consciously trying to raise the profile
that being said--UNT still has lots of problems with too many teaching assistants vs real professors teaching classes
it is hugh and only growing--I think the grad school in most areas is really seen as second tier which makes getting into PhD programs at other, more prestigious schools almost impossible...
the music dept has tremendous reputation
the engineering program gets lots of international students because it has fairly low tuition compared to other programs in other states
there is just not lot of weight given to degree from here if you are truly interested in going for master's or PhD is specific fields except the library science or music--education is ok but not really that great but there is where most local educators get their admin or counseling certifications....

Old 01-14-2009, 09:39 AM

686 posts, read 3,715,810 times
Thank you all for your replies. Anyone know something about the journalism program at all? That's what I am interested in majoring.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:23 AM

482 posts, read 944,842 times
UNT is a good school. It is not as competitive academically as UTD, or Texas Women's however. It's rated/perceived to be better than UTA though.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:38 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,836,877 times
I am a Texas A&M Aggie and what I like about UNT is it is a very diverse school. Texas A&M lacks the diversity that UNT brings. In that regard UNT is much further off than Texas A&M and UT Austin.

Old 01-14-2009, 02:24 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,844,229 times
think that the radio--tv program is probably better than the print journalism program

did you run a search for how schools rank by their programs
USNews makes a lot of money ranking schools but not sure how reliable a source that is in and of itself...

Old 01-14-2009, 04:21 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,109,169 times
UNT historically has had a reputation as a "commuter school" and I don't know how much this has changed, although I sense it has changed at least somewhat. There are certainly still vestiges of it (as an earlier poster mentioned, lots of educators getting MAs while working). As others mentioned, however, it also has a very good reputation in specific areas. I do not know how the journalism department is perceived, so I can't help you there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas