Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2009, 06:52 AM

4 posts, read 9,194 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband is being relocated to Grand Prairie, TX. We are not thrilled with location of his office because we believe the schools are better in the Northern sections of Dallas like Grapevine, Southlake and Keller areas. We have a child with dyslexia and need to find the best schools for her. Would commuting from Grapevine to grand Prairie be too much hassle? Would you recommend living in Grand Prairie? I have not been there yet and getting as much information before visiting and looking for houses. My husband may be relocated as fast as two weeks. He is going down this weekend to check out the area. We really wish we could find a neighborhood like Heritage that would be closer. The homes in grand Prairie are a lot less expensive than Grapevine and Southlake but schools are very important to us. We live in western new york and have great schools but very high taxes.
Any information is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2009, 09:18 AM

6,826 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Why do you feel like your tied to Grand Praire. There are some nice areas in Grand Praire but without giving a budget it's pretty hard to answer your question. There is huge difference in home prices between Grand Prairie & Southlake. I would take a look at Keller and Mansfield. Give your budget to find a better fit.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:58 AM

4,604 posts, read 8,232,791 times
If he's willing to do the commute you could live in Southlake or Grapevine and the hub could travel the 360. Google map shows it's 23 miles but that would be dependent on actual locations. That commuters travel long distances across the DFW is not unheard of.

While you're at it, you might look at Arlington, Mansfield, Cedar Hill and/or Red Oak. Again, depending on location these might present good options for commuting as well as school.

Old 01-27-2009, 10:31 AM

4 posts, read 9,194 times
Our price range is from 425 - 550 max. only one income now since I am unemployed since March. My husband has a 2 mile commute from work now and we always like to be close to his office since he likes to work a lot and go in on weekends. He always works past 6 so he might be able to avoid rush hour? There is no traffic here in Buffalo except during bad weather and accidents.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:42 PM

6,826 posts, read 14,036,923 times
In that price range I would rule out Grand Prairie. I doubt they have many homes in that range. The vast majority of the homes in that area will be 250k or less. I am sure some who knows the area and give better advice but in that price range you can rule out Grand Prairie and Arlington. I would start my search in Keller or Grapevine. Also remember the property taxes here are higher than most parts of the country. It makes up the difference for not having a state income tax. Property taxes will run you 2.3-2.8% a year. The cost of housing here is much cheaper than what you are use to. Your in for a pleasant surprise once you arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas