Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 12:07 PM

18 posts, read 52,398 times

Advertisements

We are in Mckinney and we have a neighbor who just got a new dog which is a Rottweiler.
You can't even go out side it will growl and bark at your through the fence.
Also will stand up against the fence and bite the wooden fence and jumps at the fence.
Our 3 yr daughter won't even go out side in the back yard now because of this.
Funny thing is this neighbor has tons of family living there off and on.

So it seems it belongs to one of the family members who just started living there.
Since i noticed he was the only one even talking to the dog and feeding it.
I once saw him come home one afternoon and told him i did not appreciate the dog doing all these things.
He said oh i am sorry we won't let it happen again and take care of it.
The reason i post this is should i call animal control in Mckinney or the Police?
Getting tired of this even though we plan on selling our home in the next yr or 2 the time our daughter is 5.

They have another Rottweiler dog as well and it is quiet and rarely barks and never does any of that stuff.
I don't want to be a trouble stater and easy going is why i asked on here.
Hope someone can help me.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 01:14 PM

119 posts, read 247,920 times
You can try talking to the person/persons who own the house. The guy who lives behind us has some giant dogs that have broken through one of the pieces of the fence this week while I was taking garbage out. They are pretty aggressive and angry sounding, but I plan to walk over and try to let him know this weekend, in case he doesn't know. Most people I think will try to fix the situation as they may be oblivious (as people so often are!)

If talking to them doesn't work, you can call animal control if you think there's a safety issue/dog will get loose/hurt someone/violating noise laws/etc.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:16 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Talk to the guy first and give him an opportunity to correct the problem. If you call animal control/cops first, you may get the same result but you'll have antagonized your neighbor and he'll see you as a troublemaking busybody.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:33 PM

18 posts, read 52,398 times
Yep i know the person who owns the house once i can catch him again i will.
Hopefully that will fix i don't wanna really wanna make any phone calls.
Hope this noise dog does not scare off buyers once we decide to sale the home.
Thinking next time i buy a house least we get a acre or half acre yard.
Thanks

Old 03-21-2013, 01:52 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,304,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmqin View Post
Thanks
The problem is the dog, not the yard size.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:09 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,750,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmqin View Post
Thanks
As someone who has shot a dangerous dog attacking me, here is my take.

I'd call animal control. If that dog gets loose, it will attack someone. Its behavior shows it is trying to get out and given its strength, it will get out. Its a newspaper headline waiting to happen. There are ordinances against dangerous pets and this is definitely one of them..

The dog I shot had exactly the same behavior and one day I came home and it was running loose in the street chasing people. The cops were three minutes away and school was getting out just three blocks away. I went outside with my shotgun and it took three shots at point blank range to kill it as it tried to kill me. If I had done nothing and a child had been hurt, I would not have been able to live with myself.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:13 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,098,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
The problem is the dog, not the yard size.
No, the problem is the owner(s). Just like children they will get away with whatever they are allowed to get away with. A Rott is a smart animal, and will obey if they are taught and disciplined/trained to obey commands.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:19 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,447,228 times
Apologies to the OP On the thread jack, but I have a similar issue. The neighbor's dog will bark and then throw itself against the fence trying to get through. It has now damaged the fence as it knocked one of the pales out. Should I get the dog's owner to pay for this, or just take care of it myself? I just found out that the house is now for sale so I think they might have moved out as I havent seen their dog come out recently.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:20 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,820,805 times
Call 311. It's different than calling the police.

Old 03-21-2013, 05:47 PM

172 posts, read 355,910 times
HOA should be informed as well. They are usually good at dealing with this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas