Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2007, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 7,317 times

Advertisements

My husband has just accepted a position in Denton. We are relocating from a very small community in Rhode Island where the real estate and taxes are very expensive. It would be great if this move would present us with the opportunity to get "more" for our money. Ideally we would like to spend $400-600K for a 4BR new, or like new home (kitchen is very important to me, and I love the media rooms you guys build!!)

We visited the area in February and concentrated in Flower Mound and Highland Village. We are planning another trip in April. I think I want to see Frisco? But Where else?

We have a 12 year old daughter who will be entering the 7th grade in the Fall. Our priority is finding a neighborhood that will provide a good education (she is very bright and loves science) as well as good friends for her and me (I'm 40+)

I do not want all the other kids on the street to be in kindergarten with 20-something year old moms, but I also don't want the kids to all be getting BMW's for their 16th birthday...

Maybe I'm asking too much, but any INSIGHT would be much appreciated

btw - it is snowing and sleeting where I am ... I can't wait to move!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 08:24 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,655,098 times
Valley Creek area in Mckinney would be up your alley! You just described it with your wish list and it really resembled mine when we looking into this area 2 years ago.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:25 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Just keep in mind a 600k house @ 2.5% tax is 15k a year. While you won't have a state income tax, property tax can be huge here.

You can get a lot of house out here for 300k... and save on taxes as well.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,084 times
A couple of things to consider: You won't normally run into first time home buyers (20 something moms) in your price range. If you are working in Denton, let me warn you that traffic coming and going across the Lewisville Lake biridge into Denton is like a parking lot during rush hour. If you are set on Flower Mound, beware of this. Plans to build other bridges across Lake Lewisville are in the works, but several years away. There is a back road called Copper Canyon, but this is a 2 laner that is heavily used by those of us "in the know". There are some builders in Denton that are building in your price range if you care to take a look. We moved to Denton from Los Colinas, Texas and have enjoyed the "small town" atmosphere. Several new high schools have been built with top of the line facilities.

Last edited by FarNorthDallas; 01-29-2011 at 01:21 PM..

Old 04-17-2007, 04:47 PM

17 posts, read 78,921 times
Frisco has very low taxes & exemplery schools. In your price range, you would be able to buy in one of Frisco's best neighborhoods. Depending on where you buy in Frisco, it could be an easy commute to Denton.

You need a really good Realtor, who is extremely knowledgable about various neighborhoods, schools, & taxes.

My friends who live in Denton all talk about how they do all of their shopping & entertainment in Frisco. So, why not move there in the first place???

You are going to love it here! Welcome!!!

Old 04-18-2007, 08:42 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Since your husbands job will be IN Denton there is no need to go house hunting in places like Frisco if you want to be close to work. Yes, commuting on I35 is insane and can backup on a dime if there is one small wreck. Even when the toll bridges get built there is still so much traffic going that way that it will only help a little bit. Denton has grown A LOT!!!! The schools are good and you would have a wide range of homes to pick from and in your price range you can find some very nice homes in Denton (in that price range your house in Denton will be on either acreage or MUCH larger/nicer than a house in Frisco in that price range). You will find more acreage lots and lots w/ lots of mature trees in Denton and possibly even some property close to the lake. The mall in Denton (Golden Triangle) is being renovated. There is so much going in up in Denton that it is insane (I went to school up there and back then there was hardly anything). You will be able to find most of your needs in town and for a few things might venture down south. As for the schools, they are good and being that close to UNT (The University of North Texas) your daughter can take advantage of their summer programs for math and science offered. These programs are top notch from everyone I know that has had a child participate. You will not find the kids up here driving new luxury cars they got for their 16th birthday. It is much more laidback than anywhere else in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas