Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 11:50 AM

93 posts, read 422,539 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I am a 23yr old college grad that has recently accepted a job in the Arts and Financial District of Dallas. More specifically, I will be working at the Sheraton Dallas at 400 Olive St. in the downtown area.

I currently live in Phoenix, but obviously, I plan on relocating to Dallas. I am somewhat familiar with the city, but I do have a few questions...

1. My rent maximum is $550. per month for either a studio or 1 bed apt. What are some safe, clean areas, close to nightlife and shopping and no more than 20 miles away from where I will be working?

2. A friend of mine suggested Arlington, but it seems kinda far from that area although it does seem to be a pretty safe area with a good value for rent. So if I lived in Arlington close to the I-30 fwy, about how long would it take to get to downtown Dallas?

3. Where are the "happening" areas of Dallas? What areas are the most restaurant's, shops and nightlife concentrated in? Where do most of the 20-40yr olds hang out at?

Again, I am looking for a place that I can find a good value on an apt, close to nightlife and shopping and (hopefully) no more than a 30 minute drive from where I will be working at 400 Olive St. Schools are irrelevant to me as I do not have children and if possible, I'd like to be in an area that has, and caters to young professionals rather than families with small children.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 12:09 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
Arlington? It boggles my mind that out of towners are recommending to people who are moving here to live in Arlington. I don't get it. You're not the first person who has been told to move to Arlington and it makes zero sense to me especially for a single person working in downtown Dallas.

You don't want to be 20 miles away from downtown. Your commute will be way more than 30 minutes. I would look at downtown and then within 7 miles north and northeast of there. You may not have the funds for Uptown, West Village, Knox Henderson (or maybe you do, I don't know, but it's the happening area), but also look at the Village off of Greenville Ave.

Old 02-14-2009, 12:20 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel127 View Post
Hello Everyone!

I am a 23yr old college grad that has recently accepted a job in the Arts and Financial District of Dallas. More specifically, I will be working at the Sheraton Dallas at 400 Olive St. in the downtown area.

I currently live in Phoenix, but obviously, I plan on relocating to Dallas. I am somewhat familiar with the city, but I do have a few questions...

1. My rent maximum is $550. per month for either a studio or 1 bed apt. What are some safe, clean areas, close to nightlife and shopping and no more than 20 miles away from where I will be working?

2. A friend of mine suggested Arlington, but it seems kinda far from that area although it does seem to be a pretty safe area with a good value for rent. So if I lived in Arlington close to the I-30 fwy, about how long would it take to get to downtown Dallas?

3. Where are the "happening" areas of Dallas? What areas are the most restaurant's, shops and nightlife concentrated in? Where do most of the 20-40yr olds hang out at?

Again, I am looking for a place that I can find a good value on an apt, close to nightlife and shopping and (hopefully) no more than a 30 minute drive from where I will be working at 400 Olive St. Schools are irrelevant to me as I do not have children and if possible, I'd like to be in an area that has, and caters to young professionals rather than families with small children.

Any help or advice is much appreciated!
No need to live 20 miles out. But, you may need to increase your rental budget a bit if possible. Or, perhaps you could find a roommate? In case you are interested, the Sheraton Dallas is located on the DART rail line. You could save money by riding the train to work provided that you live somewhere near a station. Given that, I recommend looking somewhere along the I-75 corridor around Lovers Lane close to SMU. There are some older apartments and condos (some are available for lease) on streets like Sandhurst and University Blvd. that are going to be more affordable than the West Village. Also, check on the Village Apts in that area.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:47 PM

492 posts, read 961,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Arlington? It boggles my mind that out of towners are recommending to people who are moving here to live in Arlington. I don't get it. You're not the first person who has been told to move to Arlington and it makes zero sense to me especially for a single person working in downtown Dallas.

You don't want to be 20 miles away from downtown. Your commute will be way more than 30 minutes. I would look at downtown and then within 7 miles north and northeast of there. You may not have the funds for Uptown, West Village, Knox Henderson (or maybe you do, I don't know, but it's the happening area), but also look at the Village off of Greenville Ave.
What FarNorthDallas said, the Greenville area. There's an area up there that's has so many apartments it has its own zip code. Call it a start. It may be close to the rail line @ Mockingbird and Lover's Lane, which will take you right down to the arts and finance district.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:04 PM

126 posts, read 454,160 times
I was just looking at Craigslist and saw a couple of 1 bedrooms at Mockingbird Station going for $550. I think Mockingbird Station would be a perfect location for you. It's at Mockingbird and Central Exprwy. That is close to downtown. It's right at the Dart station, so you could ride the train to work every day. There are several stores, restaurants, and a grocery store within walking distance.

Also, look at The Village. The Village is a group of apartments that are in a safe, wooded area. The older ones have 1-bedrooms in your price range. They are in walking distance of shops, a larg Borders bookstore, restaurants (check out FreedBird for the best burritos int own) and a Tom Thumb grocery store (well known as a place to meet other singles!). They have their own country club. Onsite extension classes are held by the local community colleges.

You didn't say when you're moving to Dallas. I recommend 30 days before moving that you fly into Dallas for one weekend and contact Apartment Locators. Their service is free for the renter and I had really good luck using them when I was renting. They'll give you a list of several places. Drive around and check out the apartments yourself. NEVER sign a lease for an apartment unseen.

I also recommend you only look at upstair apartments. It gets really old hearing your neighbor walking across the ceiling night after night. Plus the safety factor of being upstairs.

Do you let us know if you have any questions. Good luck and welcome to Dallas!

Old 02-16-2009, 12:44 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,152,085 times
I find it hard to believe that you could get something at Mockingbird Station for that price -- but that would be excellent with the rail to downtown right there.

You could also look in East Dallas/Lower Greenville/Knox-Henderson and Lakewood for a duplex or apartment - there are also many 4-8 plexes owned by individuals. Also look for carriage house/servant's quarters -- I think I saw one for $500 in yesterday's Morning News Classified. Some of the apartment complexes along Gaston and Live Oak might also work. Some are nice and renovated, some are not. Power Properties owns many of them. I think they are usually higher, but check it out.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:16 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
I'm with everyone else. X out Arlington. NO WAY!!!!

I also highly recommend the areas mentioned above for your demographics except price is going to keep you out. Uptown, Knox-Henderson, Mockingbird Station, The Village, M-Streets, Lakewood, SMU area.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:04 PM

93 posts, read 422,539 times
Thank you all for the advice so far! I have decided against Arlington as it is definately too far away.

So I looked at a map of the Dallas area and what can you all tell me about Irving, Grand Prairie and the Mesquite/Garland area. I've figured out that since I cannot afford to increase my rent range, I probably need to look a little further away from the Dallas downtown area. So again I suppose I am hoping to find a 1 bedroom apt for under $550. a month that is in a safe area. I don't mind something a little older, as long as its in a decent area.

I do have my own car and since I have to pay for it, I might as well use it, although I'd like to keep my drive time under about 30-40 minutes. If it helps, I probably won't be driving during rush hour. Most likely I'll be arriving to work around 2pm and leaving work around 11-12pm.Its ok if I'm not super close to nightlife, most likely I'd just be going out right after work anyhow so I'd already be in the area.

Lastly, could someone please tell me some zip codes to search in? I've already looked at apartments.com, forrent.com and craigslist, but with out zip codes to narrow it down to a specific area, its really difficult to tell where stuff is.

Again thank you all so much for the helpful advice!

Old 02-17-2009, 01:50 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,517,032 times
There are some ignorant bigots on this forum who might try to steer you away from this suggestion, but they're not very worldly. I recommend the Bishop Arts District in Oak Cliff. It's only 3 miles or so from the Sheraton Dallas and it offers a cool, bohemian vibe with great ambience and some really good restaurants nearby. It's affordable too. Contrary to some people's opinions, it is quite safe considering you would be in the middle of a big city. http://www.bishopartsdistrict.com/, http://www.rentalsource.com/3648295 (broken link), Good Space- Bishop Arts District Dallas Living Working,

Old 02-17-2009, 06:58 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
If she can find something in the Bishops Art District in her price range that does not take Section 8.............. I'd say GO FOR IT!!! I know there are a few buildings in that area that have been refurbished for apartment living. They just might still be out of her price range???

In your price range.................. there are not many apartments at all I'd sugguest a single female coming in late at night to live in within those areas. The apartments in your price range are most likely going to have a high number of renters on government subsidy. The ones in Garland in your price range are being condemned by the city and torn down (good job Garland of getting this under control ). Which means that you won't find any in your price range. If you went up about $100 you MIGHT be able to find something in a better complex that has some young single professionals living in it w/in Garland. As for Grand Prarie............ NO!!! Irving, same thing. Ditto Mesquite. Your price range is killing you. No pun intended but in possibly more ways than 1. However, to be in an apartment in those areas that would be safe for a single female.......... it is going to be longer than a 20 minute commute. You would be looking at a MIN. of 30 minutes IF there is no road construction or wrecks (they still happen in the "off" hours and can tie up traffic BAD).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas