Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 11:06 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times

Advertisements

My daughter (white) has been in a white minority school ever since kindergarten. Next year she will either be at our neighborhood school or a magnet, both are white minority schools. I think the magnet is 7% white, the neighborhood school may have a bit higher percentage of white kids. The races of the kids in our daughter's schools just hasn't played a big part in our choices. Don't worry about what other people think. Yes, people will continue to comment. In our case it was never to our faces, but rather comments made to mutual friends that would get back to us. These comments came from private school parents (this is in no way a jab at parents who choose private schools, just my own personal experience with people I know). Oh well, doesn't matter. We're in charge of our kid's education, not them.
Personally, I think our daughter is going to be much better prepared to deal with different kinds of people in the world than if we had kept her in a bubble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2009, 06:29 PM

136 posts, read 726,332 times
I went to a HS in CA that was mostly none-white and very diverse. I am white and I can say I kind of regret the hip-hop culture that is so prevalent in todays schools.

Old 02-22-2009, 08:34 PM

159 posts, read 277,626 times
Default Not sure I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejj2004 View Post
I went to a HS in CA that was mostly none-white and very diverse. I am white and I can say I kind of regret the hip-hop culture that is so prevalent in todays schools.
My family and I plan to move to dallas this year and our children are AA and I would like to know what you mean by hip hop culture that is prevalent in today's school because based on what you say, hip hop is a negative thing but hip hop in it's original form was meant to inspire people towards unity, peace and love and it was also meant to educate people against the ills of the world such as gang violence, drug abuse, self-hate and racism.

It sort of bothers me that you would use the term hip hop because that forces people to believe that the schools today are moving towards one ethnicity over another. The Hip Hop of today that you are referring to is not the same hip hop that was created in the late 70's early 80's, in fact according to this article that i read, the hip hop that you are referring to is because of this: Over the past 30 years, hip hop culture has evolved significantly and attained global recognition, but with this growth has come many costs. Multi-billion dollar corporations like Sony, Viacom, Bertelsmann and Vivendi Universal, which own Roc-A-Fella Records, Def Jam Records, Rush Communications Inc., No Limit Records and Cash Money Records, respectively, have bought the rights to public airwaves, record companies and production businesses throughout the world. They have acquired the power to dictate what artists will be heard and how hip hop will be defined in mainstream popular culture. These companies have nearly destroyed the essence of hip hop. They are to blame for the misconstrued idea that hip hop is nothing more than a money-hungry industry that encourages materialism, misogyny, violence, and drug addiction in order to glorify a "gangsta" lifestyle that has corrupted our generation.

As an aa parent of aa children, I want my children to enjoy the same level of education and respect as any other parent would want from the school system and fellow students. In my experience, it's not the children that make a big deal about race, it's usually the parents!

I hope you don't think this is a personal attack against you because it's not but as a person who has never lived in dallas and who is looking for good quality schools for my children, it pains me to read a comment that refers to our schools today going down because of something that corporate executives have degraded and implying that a form of music that was initially formed in the aa culture is the reason why schools are going down. It's this misinformation that continues to paint us aa's in a bad light and not everyone who is aa participates in negativity. At least my family does not, I can't really speak for the whole aa race.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:37 AM

424 posts, read 1,816,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrscaston View Post
In my experience, it's not the children that make a big deal about race, it's usually the parents!.
In my case, it is the parents of the kids NOT planning to go to that school. My questions were: Will the kids accept them even in they have different cultures? Will we be able to fit in with the parents (It's not just the kids I am worried about so much...it's mainly the parents). The majority of kids are Indian and Arab with a mix of Hispanic and white.

Last edited by catluvr; 02-23-2009 at 05:37 AM.. Reason: rewording

Old 02-23-2009, 07:43 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,107 times
The thing I would be worried about is when they get to be teenagers and they start to act like they are in rap videos and try to be "gangster".

Old 02-23-2009, 07:57 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
The thing I would be worried about is when they get to be teenagers and they start to act like they are in rap videos and try to be "gangster".
WTH!?!?! Not all kids that are black act like that and even so there are PLENTY of white kids in MAJORITY white schools that STILL try to act "gangsta". Being around a certain race doesn't cause that "attitude".

For the record, my oldest has attended a magnet since kindergarten. Starts high school next year. I'd say it is about 50% white MAX. Her friends are of all different backgrounds. They get along GREAT!!!! In fact the kids at that school get along w/ each other MUCH BETTER than kids at the neighborhood school by us that is majority white. I LOVE THE MAGNET SCHOOL! The kids AND the parents. And my daughter ain't "gangsta" either.

Old 02-23-2009, 08:10 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,492,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
WTH!?!?! Not all kids that are black act like that and even so there are PLENTY of white kids in MAJORITY white schools that STILL try to act "gangsta". Being around a certain race doesn't cause that "attitude".

For the record, my oldest has attended a magnet since kindergarten. Starts high school next year. I'd say it is about 50% white MAX. Her friends are of all different backgrounds. They get along GREAT!!!! In fact the kids at that school get along w/ each other MUCH BETTER than kids at the neighborhood school by us that is majority white. I LOVE THE MAGNET SCHOOL! The kids AND the parents. And my daughter ain't "gangsta" either.
+1 for Mom!

Old 02-23-2009, 08:53 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,463,107 times
I'm sure a lot of it depends on parenting but if your in a predominantly non-white school the chances of your child becoming involved in the "gangster" group of friends is higher.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:19 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catluvr View Post
Will we be able to fit in with the parents . . . The majority of kids are Indian and Arab with a mix of Hispanic and white.
I think the kids will not have a problem after the intial rough patch of being the new kid.

Indian or Moslem (I'm assuming that is what you mean by Arab or do you mean Middle Eastern?) adults are usually polite and warm to deal with. However, does that mean that you will be invited to become a major part of their lives right off the bat?

My opinion is that it will be very unusual if you are. The majority of Indian families that I have known maintain a formal friendship with non indian families whose kids are friends with theirs. However, the moms did not pursue a deeper friendship beyond birthday party invitations. If you are hoping for a long term friendship to develop between families you will have to be very outgoing and push playdates, family outings together, etc. Educate your self about cultural differences and possible errors you might unknowingly make. (a spagetti strap top and short shorts can be a big one )It is certainly doable but you will have to work on it. If there is a PTA or parent's morning out etc do participate. It may take a while for the ice to thaw but it will.

If it is any consolation, we (Indians) get pretty much the same reaction when we are in a predominantly white enviroment. Of course, there are always the people who are so excited about out exotic ethnicity, delicious food, and the opportunity for their kids to be exposed to a different culture It takes a while for people to step beyond just seeing you for your ethnicity or the color of your skin. But do persist. It will happen.

Old 02-23-2009, 09:23 AM

563 posts, read 3,742,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
I'm sure a lot of it depends on parenting but if your in a predominantly non-white school the chances of your child becoming involved in the "gangster" group of friends is higher.
Now REALLY. Are you just looking for an argument ?
Are you saying white kids are never little gangster punks who bully other kids, do drugs and run in gangs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas