Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 07:55 PM

673 posts, read 3,091,122 times

Advertisements

I was curious if anyone had any great details on the very far of Eastern Cities. Like Lavon, Fate, Forney, Royce City? How are shopping area, food/grocery store locations? How are school out there? Also, how are is crime rate in those areas? Also any idea how long commute would be from there to Garland? I am thinking should be like 30 minutes, they seem near enough to Garland.

Main reason they these far off places have caught my attention is because of the super cheap new houses. There a lot of new houses starting under 150K. In fact most of housing new housing seems be under 200k. These very nicely in my price range and if I consider these cities I will probably than TONS of choices to choose a new construction home from. In most of inner cities near Garland, the choice are a lot more limited in my price range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 08:03 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Commute from Royse City and Fate would be about 30-45 mintues in to Garland depending on traffic. Be sure and factor in the extra fuel costs and wear and tear on your car for the longer commute.

Royse City has decent schools (my sister's kids go there) but I have no knowledge of the other cities' schools. Royse City doesn't have any type of grocery store or a Wal-Mart (long story), so you'll have to drive 15 minutes to Rockwall for groceries. It's a pretty blue-collar town.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:30 PM

1,383 posts, read 3,433,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Commute from Royse City and Fate would be about 30-45 mintues in to Garland depending on traffic. Be sure and factor in the extra fuel costs and wear and tear on your car for the longer commute.

Royse City has decent schools (my sister's kids go there) but I have no knowledge of the other cities' schools. Royse City doesn't have any type of grocery store or a Wal-Mart (long story), so you'll have to drive 15 minutes to Rockwall for groceries. It's a pretty blue-collar town.
The commute from Royse City and Fate to Garland would only be about 25 minutes depending on which way you go. It may take a little more if traffic is really bad or the weather is bad. I know a lot of people that live in the Rockwall/Royse City area and commute.

Also from Royse city to Rockwall in non-rush hour(which is probably when you would go grocery shopping) is 8 minutes. My friends in Royse city have it timed exactly...lol!

Old 02-21-2009, 10:38 PM

673 posts, read 3,091,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post
The commute from Royse City and Fate to Garland would only be about 25 minutes depending on which way you go. It may take a little more if traffic is really bad or the weather is bad. I know a lot of people that live in the Rockwall/Royse City area and commute.

Also from Royse city to Rockwall in non-rush hour(which is probably when you would go grocery shopping) is 8 minutes. My friends in Royse city have it timed exactly...lol!
That doesn't sound like bad commute at all. Fate actually closer to Rockwall so might be faster.

I have actually driven around Rockwall a lot. I know there the Wal-Mark along I-30 and also that nice new shopping complex right now on the lake. I actually liked Rockwall quite a bit, epscially due the lake!

I would actually liked to get a house in Rockwall, but not too many in my price range. However, Royse City and Fate seems to a lot of type of housing I am looking at. Do you or friend have any communties in Roysc city you would recommand in 150k-200k range? Ty!

Old 02-22-2009, 07:11 AM

595 posts, read 2,722,685 times
On my way home from Grapevine to Tyler yesterday I stopped in Forney to get a soda. I don't remember what the exit on I-80 was but there was a Lowe's, Walmart, Sonic.....just about everything you could need. The traffic once I exited was some of the worse I've seen. I had to sit through 6 light rotations to get back up on the highway. Forney needs to do something about that....are they are going to have some real problems. I thought to myself....as a Realtor...this would be a hard sell...

Old 02-22-2009, 10:13 AM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I would actually liked to get a house in Rockwall, but not too many in my price range. However, Royse City and Fate seems to a lot of type of housing I am looking at. Do you or friend have any communties in Roysc city you would recommand in 150k-200k range? Ty!
Don't buy the fanciest house in Royse City...it would be a LOT better to buy a smaller house in Rockwall since it will hold its value better. Rockwall schools are MUCH better than Royse City. The new WIlliamsburg community on the east side of RC is going to be really nice. My sister lives in the older homes near there.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:17 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by $DFW8$ View Post

Depends on WHERE in Royce City one would live and WHERE in Garland one works. That can make a HUGE difference. Sure it can be 8 minutes from the city limits but that is not from driveway to desk. It can take 25 minutes to get across GARLAND alone in rush hour traffic. I'm 7 miles from one childs school and it takes me 15 minutes MINIMUIM and all of that driving is done AGAINST traffic and IN Garland.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:34 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Now, this is to the OP. Here is what I've gathered from all of your posts and I'm going to be brutally honest with you.

It seems you are trying to find this: "the NEWEST, and BIGGEST house you can for the LEAST AMOUNT of money". Sure you can find these houses but it does NOT gaurantee it is the BEST situation for your family or needs. Your suffering from "shiny new ball syndrome". GET OVER IT!

I mean "get over it" if your concerned about any of the following:
1. Length of commute
2. Resale

1. Length of commute - if your REALLY wanting to be close to work and be close to the kids school so you can run out and have lunch with them and such....... there are homes IN Garland in your price range in GREAT areas that will work. They just are not "shiny new balls". They are homes that are 10-15 years old and will do JUST FINE! One area is exactly in a neighborhood where we built our first home. GREAT family area and homes in your price range. Close to schools, shopping and IN Garland. Depending on WHERE in Garland your job is located your commute could be as little as 5 minutes or max 20 minutes. WHY NOT!?!?!?! And they have gone UP in value.

2. Resale - The areas your looking in at these "new shiny balls" are NOT going to go up in value. Why? They are TOO FAR OUT!!!! That and your looking at the CHEAPEST BUILDERS THERE ARE!!! Your looking at builders that are targeting people w/ "shiny new ball syndrome" that WANT "NEW" and "BIG" and "CHEAP". YOUR BUYING INTO IT! These are NOT quality builders. Ask these builders where some of their OLDER neighborhoods are at that are completed. Go drive thru them. Then go drive thru some older neighborhoods that are closer in. Look at the difference. See the UPKEEP? See which areas have actually taken great pride in where they live and keep their yards and homes attractive. Then take a gander at how many houses are for sale in each. What is the price that they are listed for versus what they were originally sold for? Which ones actually went UP in value? You can even look on the county tax rolls to see which ones have gone up or stayed steady for the last few years. Your NOT going to see an appreciation in these "new shiny ball" houses built on the cheap that far out. If your going to end up having to sell anytime in the next 5 years or so your going to be hurting to get any offers as well. Why? Because the people that would buy your house are suffering from "shiny new ball syndrome" and will go 5-10 miles up the road and buy the brand NEW "shiny new ball" instead of your worn out 5 year old one FOR LESS!

Now if you don't care about any of that. Then go ahead and look and buy a house out in these areas that is BIG and NEW and CHEAP. But remember, when it comes time to drive to work the next morning and your sitting on Hwy 78 for over 20 minutes crawling to work........... or crawling home and missing a kids school function....... you didn't have to.

------------------------------

Sorry for any typo's.................. I'm recovering from the flu and not seeing too well.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:18 AM

2 posts, read 10,295 times
Williamsburg is in Fate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Don't buy the fanciest house in Royse City...it would be a LOT better to buy a smaller house in Rockwall since it will hold its value better. Rockwall schools are MUCH better than Royse City. The new WIlliamsburg community on the east side of RC is going to be really nice. My sister lives in the older homes near there.

Old 03-22-2009, 10:46 AM

162 posts, read 633,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Depends on WHERE in Royce City one would live and WHERE in Garland one works. That can make a HUGE difference. Sure it can be 8 minutes from the city limits but that is not from driveway to desk.
Yes, the commute time is dependent upon the location in Garland. I live in Rockwall, less than 5 minutes from I-30, and it takes me 33 minutes, driveway-to-desk to get to my workplace in central Garland.
I don't work normal hours so don't drive in rush hour. That'd add 5-10 more minutes.

I don't understand why you've ruled out Rockwall. There are many nice homes available in your price range. The shopping in Rockwall is ultra-convenient. As has been pointed out, Royse City doesn't even have a grocery store. Major bummer. Do they have a drug store? Don't recall seeing one.

A 25-minute commute from Royse City to Garland would apply only if your house and workplace are both close to I-30, and if there's not a fender-bender on the road ahead of you. You might consider driving out to Royse City and/or Fate during am and pm rush hours and observing the traffic tie-ups on the interstate exits and entrances. Same for the 205/I30 intersection in Rockwall, but that's temporary. The 740/I30 intersection in Rockwall, while slow at times, moves much better than those. And when there's a traffic tie-up on the bridge, it's easy to swing back north and take 66 into Garland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas