Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 07:48 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Dallas Voice :: Trial to begin for suspect in Oak Lawn hate crime (http://www.dallasvoice.com/artman/publish/article_10747.php - broken link)

Dallas Voice :: Gay Dallas man murdered, dismembered (http://www.dallasvoice.com/artman/publish/article_9759.php - broken link)

Number of Dallas anti-gay hate crimes up in 2007 | pegasusnews.com | Dallas / Fort Worth

Radio Left :: Homophobic bigot T. D. Jakes speaks out about his son's gay sex arrest (http://blog.radioleft.com/blog/_archives/2009/2/16/4095372.html - broken link)
Sweetie, google "gay murder Phoenix" and "gay murder California".

They BOTH have them as well. This is NOTHING that solely happens here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 07:55 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but that's not true. Statistically, the majority of residents living in the Dallas Ft. Worth area are Baptist. You can deny it all you want but Dallas is a part of the Bible Belt. There is even a university called Dallas Baptist University. I'm not suggesting that Dallas lacks other faiths but call a spade a spade, it's not a coincidence there are a lot of mammoth Baptist churches everywhere you look in Dallas. Relative to many other cities, Dallas is far from being gay friendly. I don't live in Dallas so I have nothing to gain from speaking about it. I'm just telling it like it is. I understand you want to depict Dallas in a different light but people need to be informed what Dallas is like. You have to realize that "liberal" to you guys isn't really liberal. And what does a visitors bureau promotion prove? Of course, they want to encourage gays to move there since many are highly educated and thus want them to contribute to their economy but that is a far cry from saying gays are accepted.
azriverfan is right. I lived in dallas from 1988-1990 and experienced what he was talking about. I also experienced racism from some of the anglo gays back then. some ppl would openly comment about the f*gs. I did not hear any of that talk nor experience as much racism when I moved to southern california. Ppl that come from other parts of texas, ok & ark only think of dallas as being a "southwest gay mecca" b/c the places where they originally came from are so backwards and hostile toward gays and lesbians and b/c of the sheer numbers concentrated in the oak lawn area and other gayborhoods. the way I see it, every section of the country has its "gay meccas". dallas just happens to be the one for the southwest. I hope that it's maybe improved somewhat since I lived there. Now that so many white kids listen to black rap music and feel like they are black,things have changed. but the highland park/university park/ dallas white kids were just plain evil back then.

Last edited by wehotex; 03-31-2009 at 08:07 PM..

Old 03-31-2009, 08:13 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
I also experienced racism from some of the anglo gays back then.>>

That's really unfortunate. I'm not gay, so my saying Dallas is gay-friendly won't hold much water with some, but it's my gay and lesbian friends (from all over the country) who say it is. I also know how gay and lesbian couples are treated in my (not Oak Lawn or North Oak Cliff) neighborhood, very well. I lived in Boston for 8 years, can you say liberal? Guess what? I heard the "f" word quite often there. The only time I hear it here is from gay male friends joking around, though I have no doubt that word gets thrown around as a put down often by immature teenaged boys. I try not to pay too much attention to them. :-)
Let me ask you this- if Dallas is so gay-UNfriendly, why in the world would people on this forum be telling a gay poster to come on down? Do you think we're waiting to jump him or something? I don't get it.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:22 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I also experienced racism from some of the anglo gays back then.>>

That's really unfortunate. I'm not gay, so my saying Dallas is gay-friendly won't hold much water with some, but it's my gay and lesbian friends (from all over the country) who say it is. I also know how gay and lesbian couples are treated in my (not Oak Lawn or North Oak Cliff) neighborhood, very well. I lived in Boston for 8 years, can you say liberal? Guess what? I heard the "f" word quite often there. The only time I hear it here is from gay male friends joking around, though I have no doubt that word gets thrown around as a put down often by immature teenaged boys. I try not to pay too much attention to them. :-)
Let me ask you this- if Dallas is so gay-UNfriendly, why in the world would people on this forum be telling a gay poster to come on down? Do you think we're waiting to jump him or something? I don't get it.
It's no worse than most other larger cities as long as you stay close to the gayborhoods. But I would not want to live in collin cty suburb, park cities, most of cities by DFW extending out to FW. as long as you stay in the gayborhoods,dallas has a cosmopolitan feel that you can't find in austin, houston, san antonio and smaller towns/cities of the southwestern United States. but i would prefer living in a more progressive atmosphere other than texas IF i could afford to do so. Dallas is inexpenisve compared to other "meccas", but it's STILL smack dab in the middle of conservative red state texas and all of the baggage that comes with it.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:29 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,213,569 times
Dallas has a very big Gay scene and has for a long time now. However, like others have posted, there are many hardcore religious people there too, namely Baptist that can get on the nerves of even normal people. If you know the right areas you'll feel right at home. I am not gay, but have some gay friends there and they just love it there. I usually have alot more fun with them, even though I don't condone that part of their life, but I always have a blast with them when hanging out. It is widely accepted in parts of Dallas.

Old 03-31-2009, 10:02 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Sweetie, google "gay murder Phoenix" and "gay murder California".

They BOTH have them as well. This is NOTHING that solely happens here.
Hi Sugar Britches

I googled gay murder Phoenix and didn't find anything and certainly not a well publicized and controversial hate crime murder. Yeaaaah, that doesn't really happen everywhere but nice try. And I didn't google "gay murder Texas", if I did, I would have found a lot more than this

Old 03-31-2009, 10:05 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,300,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
It's no worse than most other larger cities as long as you stay close to the gayborhoods. But I would not want to live in collin cty suburb, park cities, most of cities by DFW extending out to FW. as long as you stay in the gayborhoods,dallas has a cosmopolitan feel that you can't find in austin, houston, san antonio and smaller towns/cities of the southwestern United States. but i would prefer living in a more progressive atmosphere other than texas IF i could afford to do so. Dallas is inexpenisve compared to other "meccas", but it's STILL smack dab in the middle of conservative red state texas and all of the baggage that comes with it.
Exactly, the whole idea of "Well just stay close to the gayborhoods" is a little unsettling and doesn't inspire confidence in a city that is supposedly "gay friendly." It's funny to see so many on this forum in denial. Sorry but I didn't make up the fact that Dallas has such a strong evangelical presence in the city. Dallas is considered to be in the heart of the Bible Belt and the last time I checked, they don't exactly have warm and fuzzies toward homosexuals. As much as these respondents want to envision Dallas as San Francisco, they can't escape the fact that it is in the South and a member of the Bible Belt.

Well said!

Old 03-31-2009, 10:16 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,609,252 times
Quote:
Exactly, the whole idea of "Well just stay close to the gayborhoods" is a little unsettling and doesn't inspire confidence in a city that is supposedly "gay friendly." It's funny to see so many on this forum in denial. Sorry but I didn't make up the fact that you have such a strong evangelical presence in the city. Dallas is considered to be in the heart of the Bible Belt and the last time I checked, they don't exactly have warm and fuzzies toward homosexuals. As much as these respondents want to envision Dallas as San Francisco, they can't escape the fact that it is in the South and a member of the Bible Belt.

Well said!
I'm not sure what your MO is but I think we pretty much get it, you're ignorant and misinformed on this city so just keep movin. Do you live here? Have you spent much time here? Based on what you've written I would suspect you haven't. At the end of the day though it doesn't matter what your preconceived notions are because I DO live here, I AM gay, and I have NEVER ran into any homophobic situations living here. So whose word should we put more faith into? Do us all a great service and get goin, I for one have had enough of your trolling.

p.s. I don't deny we're in the Bible Belt, but seems that you want to paint a picture of dogmatic fundamentalists running around here telling everyone what they should do. That's only about as true as just about anywhere else you go.

Old 03-31-2009, 11:32 PM

190 posts, read 430,594 times
your apparent anti-christian bias may have you turned you off of the area far more than any local anti-gay bias

Old 04-01-2009, 12:01 AM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,476 times
Quote:
Dallas Voice :: Trial to begin for suspect in Oak Lawn hate crime (http://www.dallasvoice.com/artman/publish/article_10747.php - broken link)

Dallas Voice :: Gay Dallas man murdered, dismembered (http://www.dallasvoice.com/artman/publish/article_9759.php - broken link)

Number of Dallas anti-gay hate crimes up in 2007 | pegasusnews.com | Dallas / Fort Worth

Radio Left :: Homophobic bigot T. D. Jakes speaks out about his son's gay sex arrest (http://blog.radioleft.com/blog/_archives/2009/2/16/4095372.html - broken link)

It is quite obvious that you have a bias against Dallas and the entire DFW area. But, it is easy to google selectively to find out about hate crimes in places other than Dallas:

Dramatic spike in gay hate crimes in Calif. | News Story on 365gay.com

Gay Couple Attacked Outside Prudential Center - Gothamist: New York City News, Food, Arts & Events

Windy City Times - Gay Hate Crimes Rank 2nd Highest Category

Would you please stop attacking Dallas and just get the therapy that you so obviously need?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas