Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 07:12 PM

11 posts, read 50,496 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone out there has had any experiences with teacher job fairs in the Dallas area.

What were your experiences? Good? Bad?

I am trying to find a job in bilingual edcation. I have passed all of my state exams, and just need a job to finish my alt cert. I have read that many find it difficult to obtain a teaching job on an alt cert, yet at the same time, that there are large shortages in bilingual education. Will my alt cert hurt my chances of a job, even though I am bilingual?

On another note, not being a Dallas native, what are the 5 best school districts to work for, and why? From what I gathered from their websites, i would say

1 HEB
2 Plano
3 Mesquite
4 Irving
5 Grand Prarie

Suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 09:39 AM

1,488 posts, read 5,239,219 times
To increase your chances at employment, I would suggest going to Region X ESC website or TEA website and researching the demographics on the accountability reports of each district. For example, Plano is not going to be needing Spanish teachers as badly as Mesquite (just IMO....I haven't researched the numbers).Dallas ISD probably will have a need also. Best wishes to you..........

Old 02-27-2009, 10:58 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
based on my son and daughter's experience--most job fairs are basically cattle calls--
your situation is worse because you are not certified until AFTER you do your year of internship--right now you are not certified and schools are graded on how many non-certified teachers they have teaching classes--it goes against their state report card...
there are some districts who are having job fairs and won't let anyone seeking a job to finish an alt cert register---
they are looking for certified first--then if they have open areas they might look at alt-cert interns...
the Arlington job fair has multiple districts coming to it--gets LOTS of job seekers because it is the last one of the year
other districts are posting info for theirs in March/April

if you don't register VERY EARLY you probably won't get a face to face interview and
anyone who is certified but not in a truly desired areas probably won't get a face to face interview unless they were maybe a student teacher in the district or have some pull...

if your apptnment is in the later part, most likely people will have run over their interview time and you won't get a face to face interview

it is noisy and not very "personable" when you are sitting right next to someone else who is doing his/her own interview (almost that bad)...

I don't know who you paid to do your course work but from what I understand almost all the companies are pretty much worthless in actually helping you get an internship

HEB is an excellent district--pays very well--and has hundreds and hundreds of applicants--but I know of several alt-cert people they have hired...althought this was several years ago ...

If you will be truly a straight ESL teacher -- you should look to districts with high levels of minority/ESL demographics
like the other poster I think Garland, Grand Prairie, Carrollton-Farmers Branch, Irving, Arlington, Dallas, and FTW would be better match than Plano where a large portion of the ethnic students are S Asian and usually speak quality English...
HEB does have many immigrant students but there is just not a lot of turnover there
Denton is another ISD that probably has quite a few ESL students...smaller districts probably do but also smaller # of teachers in district...Mansfield and Burleson also might be good places to look...

check region xi as well for link to public schools
Education Service Center Region XI | Public Schools (http://www.esc11.net/8234398102229/site/default.asp - broken link)
this is the jobs board for consortium schools
https://www.searchsoft.net/ats/app_l...NY_ID=00012139
Lovejoy ISD posted ESL/Spanish teacher in middle school

remember that there are very often jobs that come open just before school starts and a teacher who is there and ready can often get hired when she/he was by-passed earlier ...
If you don't get internship before July break--be ready to go to schools you are interested in after principals return from vacation and leave your resume even if you have not had interview...
personnel offices don't like that but principals are the ones who do the hiring and they HATE to wade through resumes--if your resume is on their desk and they need a teacher they are much more likely to let inertia win the day...

Old 03-03-2009, 10:36 AM

11 posts, read 50,496 times
Thanks for your imput loves2read.

I have submitted online applications to each of those districts listed in your post. And I agree, its more likely that a school district like Irving or Arlington would need bilingual teachers more so than Plano or Frisco. In your post you seemed to talking more about ESL teachers, while I was asking about bilingual teachers - whom seem to be in much larger demand than ESL. - due to the fact that they teach in both languages, and therefore need be fully fluent in each language.

Bilingual teachers are still in demand correct? I am optimistic when I read that some job fairs that are often closed to Alt cert interns are indeed open to bilingual, science and math alt certs.

Are there and bilingual teachers out there whom went though alternative cert programs with experiences at the job fairs - both good and bad?

Which part of the state would be in the most demand for bilingual teachers?

thanks

Old 03-03-2009, 11:03 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,888,047 times
bilingual spots are more frequent because there are usually only one or two full ESL teachers to a school

did you check the Region XI site ==there are some jobs for bilingual teachers listed there but not for people who still need to finish certification
but may not be in districts you want to work for because too far from where you live
and frankly I think someone in your situation will be among the last people hired for the coming year
Lewisville ISD is doing job fair and does not want applicants in your situation to attend--they are doing something later for people who NEED jobs to finish being certified...

Old 03-23-2009, 01:10 AM

1 posts, read 7,132 times
Hello,

I am moving to the Dallas area and I am looking for a position in Special Education! I have six years of experience teaching in Texas and California. I am a single parent with a 13 yr, 8&9 yr olds as well, What would be a great School district to Teach in as well as enroll my kids in? How do I get my foot in the door because I am moving from CA?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas