Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:00 PM

35 posts, read 126,143 times

Advertisements

I've seen so many informative post here so wanted to ask for some insight.

just some quick background. early 30's, married, financially good (as can be in this environment). looking to start a family in a couple years.

we've been living with my parents to save up enough for a down payment, etc on a new home.

why buy now? we thought about putting it off another couple of years but we kind of feared by that time, new builds will be harder and harder to find unless we keep pushing north, which we don't want to go any further. Allend ISD seems to be rated fairly well and should fit the bill 5ish years down the road. Our parents home is a nice little 3bd/2ba but the school district (RISD) has...how do i say...degraded quite a bit from when I attended. I will miss the old growth trees.

we've been focused on the starcreek development in allen. Even though, we'd like a 2 story w/ game room and ooh so sexy media room, long term it seems a 1 story will be a good bet prop tax/family size/energy wise so decided to aim for a 1 story 4bed/3bath, about 3k sq.ft.

i had some questions though:

1. they currently have a $50k incentive (applied to upgrades or a direct discount) on build from scratch homes. how much more room is there to negotiate?

2. should I get a realtor? and would that potentially give me more leeway in getting a lower price?

I know i'm not going to be able to "steal" a new build from Darling, especially after reading post about how they try to protect their prices. But we just want to make sure we can get the best price available. We love their floorplans, we've looked at highland and they just don't call out to us.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 03:09 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,926 times
By all means get a realtor, it's worth it!
Not sure about the area or the builder, but agents have contacts. They work for you not against you. If you need one in that area I have a great recommendation. Allen is her prime area. Send me a message and I give you her name and number.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:00 PM

so is it too late to get a realtor if I've already been in contact/talked with the sales rep at the community? nothing signed or real paper work done. just walked me through some designs and general pricing.

although, a rep from their mortgage lender has already called me!

Old 04-13-2009, 05:48 PM

33 posts, read 112,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatdoiknw View Post
so is it too late to get a realtor if I've already been in contact/talked with the sales rep at the community? nothing signed or real paper work done. just walked me through some designs and general pricing.

I don't know for sure if its too late, but I would doubt it, since nothing is signed. I have only purchased one house, I did so without a buyer's agent (as it was my first house, I didn't know any better). I won't do so again. Buyer's agents know the area, know the business, and you don't have to pay for them (they get commissioned by the seller). But most of all, they can protect you from making a really dumb decision. Moreover, they theoretically can show you the house down the street with the same floorplan that was built last year but is 50k cheaper than what the builder is quoting. I am going to meet Proud Rowlett Owner's recommended agent tomorrow and once I do so, I will dm my impressions, but so far she has been pretty good and helpful. That said, I was in the Twin Creeks development today and the new houses do seem like a "steal". Even if you buy new, the builder pays the buyer's agent commission, so if there is no cost, why not get the extra advice?

Old 04-13-2009, 06:03 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
A buyer's agent is ALWAYS a good choice. I've used them for 3 houses with no regrets. I'm sure I might have had regrets otherwise, as some of the details got a bit hairy in the process. They work only for you but get paid by the seller.

Old 04-13-2009, 07:42 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
Without sounding offending, did the lender approve you for this neighborhood's price range? If so, did you disclose that you don't currently have rental history? Lenders are not favoring people without rental history these days unless you've got a good 10% down with steller 740+ credit scores. Living at home with mom and dad hurts more people than it helps. You might be trying to save money, but you've hurt one of the largest pieces of the pie lenders look at for "responsibility" of on-time payments.

Old 04-13-2009, 08:43 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
I am currently building a Darling home in La Villita and they are certainly one of the best around. They don't discount much and they don't need to, our experience has been 100% positive.

Get a good buyers agent who has experience with Darling, how they work and has heavy experience with new construction.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:03 PM

@outtaheer, looking forward to your pm

@falcon, no offense taken. thanks for the comment. this week I was going to go get lender approval. the house i'm interested in building is 350k without including the 50k incentive, which I know the sales rep said they applied for all the plans but the one she focused on selling me was a 400k home which was at my top end range. If it helps, I've had rental history. credit score is 760+. I could do 10% but want to see if i can get it with 5%.

Old 04-13-2009, 11:18 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,255,953 times
Quote:

When Darling's mortgage company contacted you, did you fill a loan application with them? I hope you haven't filled one yet otherwise they will know your financial situation. You don't want to show your cards until you have a contract.

I agree that they are an excellent builder. They test the soil on every lot to check if the foundation is not going to need reinforcement. They are expensive but you get an excellent product. I have friends/clients that have purchased Darling in Star Creek and they are all happy with their homes.

Naima

Old 04-14-2009, 07:26 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,531,926 times
Quote:

As long as nothing is signed, you are fine. Get a realtor. Trust me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas