Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2009, 08:28 AM

2,231 posts, read 6,069,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneranger View Post
I hate to burst your bubble...but Chicago is the #3 city in the USA. Los Angeles is the second largest city and has been for 50 years. "Second City" refers to the rebuilding of Chicago after the Great Fire, not the fact that it's the second biggest.

Chicago's wind and Dallas' wind are two completely different things. Chicago has cold, wet wind blowing in off of Lake Michican. Dallas has warm, dry wind blowing in from open plains. They feel very different. It can be very cold in Chicago in summer because of this wind, and it is regularly warm in winter in Dallas because of this wind.

But to call Dallas a minor city is to ignore the facts of life. Dallas has the cultural amenities of a world city. It is not as "cultured" as Chicago, but what is considered refined culture in Texas and the South is a little different than refined culture in Chicago and the North. Snobbery is frowned upon here.

If you think Dallas is a "minor city," I'd like to know what you think of such small towns as Houston, Atlanta, Nashville, and Miami.
There's a good question... is Chicago more "cultured", that is, does a resident of Chicago go to symphony concerts more often than his Dallas counterpart? We should measure this by metropolitan area to bypass the fact that the central cities have a high concentration of ghettos and other impoverished neighborhoods.

If anybody has any good stats on this question, bring them out.

Both Chicago and Dallas have some national exposure, but I'd have to say that the only true "national capital cities" in the USA are New York and Los Angeles. Dallas and Chicago are both regional capitals, not national capitals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 09:38 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,210,102 times
Skylines are another matter... Chicago has one of the most photogenic front yards in the world. The mixture of new and old architecture are really appealing. Dallas is not even on the same page or same book for that matter.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
Skylines are another matter... Chicago has one of the most photogenic front yards in the world. The mixture of new and old architecture are really appealing. Dallas is not even on the same page or same book for that matter.
And why should we be interested in your personal taste?

Both cities have a strong and appealing skyline, and I know of no scientific way to find that one is better than another.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:06 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,533,345 times

Couldn't find both the same size...but I think both cities have beautiful skylines....why are we hating here. There is good and bad in either city. You put a thread in Dallas asking to compare...what do you expect? You are going to get people backing their own city. I mean gosh come on

Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 AM

2,531 posts, read 6,251,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post

Both Chicago and Dallas have some national exposure, but I'd have to say that the only true "national capital cities" in the USA are New York and Los Angeles. Dallas and Chicago are both regional capitals, not national capitals.

What about Washington, DC? (and yes, I know you didn't mean 'national capital' in the literal sense in this context). I'd say it's importance in the scheme of things cannot be underestimated or discounted.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:37 AM

4,459 posts, read 4,210,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud Rowlett Owner View Post

Couldn't find both the same size...but I think both cities have beautiful skylines....why are we hating here. There is good and bad in either city. You put a thread in Dallas asking to compare...what do you expect? You are going to get people backing their own city. I mean gosh come on
Who's hating? I just made a comment and stand by it. Though the comparison you made in the two photos are admirable. The photo of Chicago only depicts about a 1/3rd of the skyline. It would be much more imposing and appealing if The John Hancock, Standard Oil, the new Trump Tower a long with the Navy Pier were included. The photo of Dallas while I agree is appealing with the reflection from the river is just that, the entire skyline pretty much.

I am not bashing Dallas. But let's face it. When someone start a thread A vs B are you not opening a Pandora's Box?

I have driven through Dallas a few times as an OTR Truck Driver and to me Dallas appears to be a very clean city...

Old 04-29-2009, 10:44 AM

True Dallas is not spread out as Chicago is on the river, however this is just a one dimensional photo, as so Chicago's photo.
True about the thread. I am sure Dallas and Chicago have alot to offer anyone that desires to live n either city. Each have their pros and cons and to place this thread in the Dallas Forum only opens that "Pandora's Box".

Old 04-29-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
True Dallas is not spread out as Chicago is on the river, however this is just a one dimensional photo, as so Chicago's photo.
True about the thread. I am sure Dallas and Chicago have alot to offer anyone that desires to live n either city. Each have their pros and cons and to place this thread in the Dallas Forum only opens that "Pandora's Box".
I don't see size as having much of an impact on aesthetics. It's as absurd as saying that one painting is more beautiful than another because it's larger...

Old 04-29-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceplace View Post
I don't see size as having much of an impact on aesthetics. It's as absurd as saying that one painting is more beautiful than another because it's larger...
I didn't really say size matters. I was referring to the poster about including other buildings that were built down the river of the Chicago Skyline.

Old 04-29-2009, 11:12 AM

Quote:
I didn't really say size matters. I was referring to the poster about including other buildings that were built down the river of the Chicago Skyline.
I agree, you didn't.

Actually, we can play that game in Dallas, too, and include buildings in Uptown and along North Central. There are some pretty impressive ones there as well.

Ultimately, there are many points of view from which to see a city's buildings. I'd say that both Dallas and Chicago have some good vantage points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas