Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 09:15 PM

4 posts, read 8,069 times

Advertisements

We currently live around DFW airport and are thinking about making a life style change to either the M Streets or Cochran Heights in Dallas. We're a young (minded) couple with a small child, but I don't know much about the area. The couple of times I've been down there on the weekends, we didn't see a lot of kids - even at the park. My husband works downtown, but I work in Frisco. Any advice welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2009, 10:00 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Hmm...I would not recommend Cochran Heights for anyone with a small child. It is definitely more of a singles/married without kids/empty nesters neighborhood. Henderson is a really busy street and even though they have restricted bar/restaurant parking on the side streets, there is a lot of traffic in the neighborhood. Adorable houses though!

Highly recommend the M Streets. Tons of young couples & couples with kids in the area. Just don't look on blocks adjacent to Greenville (traffic & noise). It is a great area where I always see neighbors out chatting in their yards after work, duos of moms pushing baby strollers, and families out biking together. Do some research on the elementary school situation- I'm a little fuzzy on the school borders.

What I'm guesssing is that you are looking for an in-town neighborhood that's family focused & in walking distance to shops, restaurants,etc? Both of the areas you mentioned are in walking distance to more adult-focused entertainment (bars, the Granada, the last few smut shops on Greenville.)

Have you considered looking near Snider Plaza in University Park? You'd be walking distance to UP Elementary (HPISD), the UP Pool (open to all residents with an inexpensive annual pass), the UP Library, and all the shops & restaurants in Snider Plaza- mostly family friendly, like Learning Express, Peggy Sue BBQ, Bubba's. I recently saw a Tudor cottage on Milton or Rankin listed in the high $600s- comprsble to M Streets.
Or you could look at Devonshire (west of Tollroad, north of Lovers) or the north tip of Greenway Parks (bordered by Tollroad, University, Lovers, & Inwood). You'd be in a very family focused area, walking distance to Inwood Village- fun for parents & families with a great - and improving - mix of tenants. You would need to go private school route here, but you'd be close to a dozen or more.
Or there are some great ranch style 1950s homes near Royal/Preston in Preston Hollow, which would be in PH Elementary (or near all the North Dallas private schools) and walking or biking distance to the shopping centers at Royal & Forrest.
Any of those would also put you in a much better position to get on the Tolkroad. When I lived in Lakewood (& commuted to Legacy & Tollroad), getting across town to the Tollroad was a daily beating.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:09 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,595,395 times
Lakewood is also a neighborhood to look at.
Stonewall Jackson and Lakewood Elementaries are some of the finest schools in the area. JL Long MS and Woodrow Wilson HS are not quite as good right now, but they have an ambitious IB program getting off the ground, and if that works out well it could turn out to be one of the best middle school-high school feeder patterns in the state, and certainly one of the most diverse.

North Dallas and the Preston Hollow area are great for young families as well. However, I wouldn't recommend the public schools in this area, at least not past elementary. The private schools, however, are excellent, and there are several choices, each of which has its own distinguishing characteristics.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:13 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
Due to the job situation, I would find someplace along the Dallas North Tollway to live.

Old 05-27-2009, 06:58 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,763,936 times
Are you sure you want to commute all the way to Frisco for your work from M streets / East Dallas?

Old 05-27-2009, 03:49 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,170,052 times
M-Streets would be a bit more practical for the commute than Lakewood Proper (which is the most family-oriented by far - I'll post the carnival pics on a LWE thread). Still, as Spree says it's a long way. But at least you would be next to Central.

Cochran Heights is more of a single/young couple place as TC says. Bonham Elementary is exemplary for the fourth year however and has just won a national award. So as the young couples have kids they are considering it -- I know a few who go there. If you can reach Arlene Colbert who volunteers there she will give you the scoop.

Stonewall Jackson (Blue Ribbon) Elementary in the M-Streets would probably be a better choice for your situation also. But if I were you I would become a PTA mom and forget Frisco!

Old 05-27-2009, 06:49 PM

4 posts, read 8,069 times
Thanks everyone. I'm really worried about the commute! I'd love to become a PTA mom - we'll see (have to work on the hubby and the $$$)

Lakewooder: we actually talked to the principal at Bonham (Ms Fernandez (sp?)) and LOVED her. She spent 2 1/2 hours taking us on a tour and introducing us. I actually felt my child would get more one-on-one attention there than at our suburb "blue-ribbon" elementary. And the teachers were great - tons of energy/caring and very honest about the environment.

We'll head down there to spend some more time looking around this weekend. looking forward to getting to know the area!!

Old 05-27-2009, 10:41 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elissyf View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm really worried about the commute! I'd love to become a PTA mom - we'll see (have to work on the hubby and the $$$)

Lakewooder: we actually talked to the principal at Bonham (Ms Fernandez (sp?)) and LOVED her. She spent 2 1/2 hours taking us on a tour and introducing us. I actually felt my child would get more one-on-one attention there than at our suburb "blue-ribbon" elementary. And the teachers were great - tons of energy/caring and very honest about the environment.

We'll head down there to spend some more time looking around this weekend. looking forward to getting to know the area!!
I thought Bonham eventually fed into North Dallas, not Woodrow?

The drive to Frisco from Lakewood would not be easy but at least you would be going against traffic. Forget going west on 635 to get to the DNT, too; take 190 instead, it looks a lot less traffic-y going west and north in the morning.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:49 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
Heck, you'll need to go up the tollway to get to Frisco with any kind of efficiency. Don't use 75.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:12 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,484,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I thought Bonham eventually fed into North Dallas, not Woodrow?
You are right.
Dallas ISD : Demographic Studies (http://www.dallasisd.org/demo/schoolinfo/feeder2009/ndallas.htm - broken link)

You could get a transfer or apply to magnet schools to avoid N Dallas High.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas