Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 05:29 PM

18 posts, read 60,629 times

Advertisements

We're currently in corporate housing in Irving. Some of our requirements are:
1. Want to live in Dallas city
2. Commute to Irving (where my work is) < 20-25 min
3. Not too far from airports (husband and I travel frequently)
4. Lots of greenery/trees
5. Prefer older neighborhoods
6. Young family friendly - dont have kids now, but planning to start soon
7. Price $500K range

We have been looking in Greenway Crest and Devonshire. Any other areas we should consider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 05:37 PM

6,825 posts, read 14,054,090 times
Kessler/Stevens Park would be a great fit if your willing to send your kids to private school.

Old 06-07-2009, 07:18 PM

70 posts, read 294,113 times
Check out Munger Place zip 75214, it's a neighborhood that was started in 1905. For Munger Place searches stay between Fitzhugh and Henderson, also include Gaston in your search.

I like this website when searching homes Allie Beth Allman & Associates, it allows you to search by street name. In the address field enter just the street name ex: Junius.

Munger Place Real Estate, Munger Place Historic Homes, Dallas Neighborhoods, Douglas Newby specializing in Munger Place Real Estate: the first neighborhood in Dallas that required architect designed homes and a Dallas neighborhood where the homes rem (scroll down where you can see homes by block)

Munger Place Historic District - History (http://www.mungerplace.com/history.htm - broken link)

By the way the neighborhood elementary school, William Lipscomb Elementary is a great school.

Old 06-07-2009, 08:19 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Kessler/Stevens and Munger Place seem a longer drive than I would like to Irving. (though I have not yet tried driving the route)

Also, we will likely move again in 3-5 yrs i.e. by the time school districts become relevant. So, not too concerned about schools now except as it impacts resale value :-)

Old 06-07-2009, 08:26 PM

1,621 posts, read 4,597,782 times
Preston Hollow in North Dallas sounds like a good fit. If you stay in the area, most parents send kids to private schools and there are many good private schools in the area, but that will run you around $15k-$25k a year per child on top of a mortgate and property taxes, so I'd keep that in mind. It's an older established neighborhood of Dallas but has had a lot of teardowns for McMansions in the last several years.

You might also want to look at the Bent Tree area of Far North Dallas--it's in the Plano school district so you wouldn't need private schoosl and it's a very nice community, but it's not very close to Irving, though definitely doable. Bent Tree is a newer neighborhood, so you may not like that.

I'd recommend Lakewood for that budget, but the commute won't be great because you will have to drive through downtown. It's a very nice neighborhood though, with good K-5 schools and a great sense of community. It's one of the greenest neighborhoods of Dallas and IMHO is the most beautiful part of hte Metroplex--the Dallas Arboretum is right on White Rock Lake and is GORGEOUS!

If living in Dallas proper isn't a HUGE problem (and it shouldn't be), I'd recommend the Las Colinas area of north Irving. There are a lot of very nice homes in the area that should fit your price range, and it's a very vibrant area of the Metroplex.

Old 06-07-2009, 09:15 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,937,406 times
don't know why you specify Dallas city specifically

especially if you are planning on having children in near future I would say buy that house now that merges best of both sides of your planning list
consider Coppell--it is suburban neighborhood but would not be that far a commute to Irving or DFW
has great schools, quality neighborhoods in your price rage, and fairly easy commute into Dallas for entertainment or FTW/Arlington for Sundance Sq, Dallas Cowboys, Rangers

and I don't live in Coppell--but it is nice area...and I looked at Devonshire--three homes for sale and none in your price range--might be long wait for something there...
the other neighborhood--price per sq st is pretty high to me but I can understand why some of those homes are attractive--

Old 06-07-2009, 09:25 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,267,728 times
Devonshire, Beverly Terrace, Inwood Estates, Preston Park, Bluffview, and many more neighborhoods around the Park Cities area. All have homes within your price range, towering trees, older beautiful homes from the 1920s to the 1940s.

Naima

Old 06-08-2009, 05:26 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
If you really want to stay in the Dallas city limits, I agree with the Preston Hollow suggestion.

If you can consider someplace other that the city I would strongly suggest Las Colinas or Coppell. As you mentioned schools are not an issue now, but when it comes to re-sale they certainly will be..Schools couuld be the number one concern for many buyers.

Nita

Old 06-08-2009, 05:50 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,188,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venus_dallas View Post
We're currently in corporate housing in Irving. Some of our requirements are:
1. Want to live in Dallas city
2. Commute to Irving (where my work is) < 20-25 min
3. Not too far from airports (husband and I travel frequently)
4. Lots of greenery/trees
5. Prefer older neighborhoods
6. Young family friendly - dont have kids now, but planning to start soon
7. Price $500K range

We have been looking in Greenway Crest and Devonshire. Any other areas we should consider?
Lakewood is probably the ultimate family neighborhood in Dallas and within Lakewood Elementary the average price is about $550K. Lots of greenery and and trees (plus White Rock Lake), older etc but it is a bit father from DFW. If you go at odd hours you can get there in 20-30 minutes, but not during rush hour. Love Field is about 10-15 minutes. You can get to Irving by Northwest Highway (Loop 12) or by I-35 Stemmons (usually bad) Of course I know some back roads being a native. Also the DART rail line will be opening to Irving in a year or two. The station at Baylor Hospital opens in September - that would be 5-7 minutes from home. Also Mockingbird Station would be convenient.

In any case it might be worth the drive - it's very friendly here and there are numerous organizations where it's easy to get to know folks. If you are going to be here on July 4th, check out our neighborhood parade Lakewood Parade very Norman Rockwell - but slightly irreverent.

Also see http://lecpta.org/

Old 06-10-2009, 07:02 AM

I'm finding some homes along NW Hwy in the gated communities between Midway and Marsh. Clearly these are newer construction and not much trees around :-)

Any feedback on this area in general? Further west along NW Hwy, the area seems to get fairly run-down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas