Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 02:54 PM

1,560 posts, read 7,147,385 times

Advertisements

Frisco and Centennial are both just over 2000 students (a bit overcrowded as the buildings were meant for 1800) and Wakeland's at 800 with only 3 grades this year. DISD has a more dynamic range, with Skyline having almost 4600; White, Sunset, Adams, Townview and Molina being just a bit bigger than Frisco and Centennial (2100 to 2400); and the rest are smaller from 602 for Madison to almost 1900 for Carter.

As to mpope409's question, Townview would have to be considered the best school in DISD, with probably BT Washington, WT White, Hillcrest, Skyline and Woodrow Wilson coming next in line (based on Taks results.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2007, 02:59 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
We have all of the varied groups (including 200 new transfers seeking a better education who were behind) which must pass and a few in one group failed 9th grade math. That tars the whole school. New tutors, academic coaches and extra teachers have been dispatched.

There has been no affect on the AP and upper-level students - they are doing as well as ever. See: http://lakewood-now.net/view/article/846 (broken link)

Old 04-16-2007, 03:06 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,597,112 times
I think the important thing to get recognized is that DISD does have good schools. Parents should NOT rule out DISD based on the misconception that Dallas schools are somehow subpar. One could argue that to make the blanket statement that DISD is bad is in itself an ignorant statement.

I don't care which school has more merit scholars per capita. If the school does a good job educating a child, then it should be considered a potential for relocation. From that point, one needs to evaluate the options that improve their quality of life. To me, this would include a short commute time, mature trees, proximity to White Rock Lake and it's trail system. My area has good schools - which can be had all over DFW. What can't be had everywhere is the proximity to the DART rail, short commutes to work (increased family time/less commuter stress), a short bike ride or even a walk to White Rock Lake and gorgeous mature trees throughout my neighborhood.

On a side note, I grew up in a 3 bedroom, one bath house without a garage or basement. We didn't have much money - my dad was a teacher and my mom stayed at home to keep my brother and I in order. We didn't get new clothes very often and I was in my teens before we got our very first new vehicle. I believe that because I grew up with less, I appreciate what I have more. Sending my child to a brand new school in an area where people are giving their kids new cars, trendy clothes and even plastic surgery is simply not an option. I like that the schools in Dallas have some years on them. It adds character, it teaches children that it doesn't have to be new to be functional. I believe all the newness in the burbs is not necessarily a good thing - it teaches children to keep up with the Jones's. To this end, my wife and I could have easily afforded more than double the home we bought. We got more than we needed, but less than we wanted. We don't have a kid at this point, but one thing I want to teach them is that stuff isn't what defines them. It's what is inside. Financial planning is important. Delayed gratification through saving and planning is important. New cars are not. Big homes are not. Enjoying life through improving your quality of life through good friends and good experiences is far more important. That is part of the reason I pretty much stopped buying "stuff" for christmas presents. Instead, I give experiences. My parents get a weekend at a bed and breakfast in an area they haven't been every year. They always tell me how much they enjoyed getting away and spending time together. This is the stuff life is about. Not having a new fancy car and bragging at the PTA meeting about your new diamond necklace.

Brian

Last edited by lh_newbie; 04-16-2007 at 03:16 PM..

Old 04-16-2007, 03:10 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,763,091 times
<< I don't care which school has more merit scholars per capita. If the school does a good job educating a child, then it should be considered a potential for relocation <<

I agree. It appears tho, to do well in Dallas schools, a student should be on the AP/honors tract. Not unique tho, it's like the schools here where I'm at.

>>We have all of the varied groups (including 200 new transfers seeking a better education who were behind) which must pass and a few in one group failed 9th grade math. That tars the whole school. New tutors, academic coaches and extra teachers have been dispatched.
There has been no affect on the AP and upper-level students - they are doing as well as ever. <<

Old 04-16-2007, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
I don't care which school has more merit scholars per capita. If the school does a good job educating a child, then it should be considered a potential for relocation. From that point, one needs to evaluate the options that improve their quality of life. To me, this would include a short commute time, mature trees, proximity to White Rock Lake and it's trail system. My area has good schools - which can be had all over DFW. What can't be had everywhere is the proximity to the DART rail, short commutes to work (increased family time/less commuter stress), a short bike ride or even a walk to White Rock Lake and gorgeous mature trees throughout my neighborhood.

What do you want from a neighborhood?

Brian
For me it was the short commute, which Lakewood doesn't offer to my office. Not that it would be the 70 mile, 1:15 to 1:30 hour trip I had in the fall, it just wouldn't be as short as it is now.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:21 PM

Brian - was that smiley because RISD's Lake Highlands (class of 650) has none this year?

Just kidding. There are many ways to measure a school. I would put good stock in what you read in parent comments on greatschools.net - a few are disgruntled parents with an axe to grind, but I think most are sincere if they take the time to post. If that's not available, then seek out and ask some parents! Go to school events! It's not that difficult - don't let your pre-conceived notions and prejudices cheat your child from going to a wonderful Dallas neighborhood school where they will make life-long friends.

BTW, as far as TAKS ratings, East Dallas (Woodrow feeders) has three exemplary and three recognized elementary schools. So we should be seeing the results of better-prepared students coming through in the next few years.

Old 04-16-2007, 03:47 PM

3,073 posts, read 11,576,922 times
Is anybody going to answer my question? lol

Old 04-16-2007, 03:50 PM

I did back here.... //www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...tml#post586281

Old 04-16-2007, 03:55 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
What's the best magnet school in Dallas?
Yvonne Ewell/Townview (actually two schools in one) was rated #1 in Newsweek. One is the math/science center.

Booker T. Washington is a top rated performing arts magnet (Norah Jones and many other well known graduates).

Old 04-16-2007, 03:58 PM

Travis Vanguard is an excellent elementary/middle school magnet in Uptown on McKinney.

Personally, I believe in neighborhood schools, not magnets. Your children gain something hard to quantify by going to the same school as the other kids in the area. If you don't believe me, go to one of our class reunions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas