Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 03:47 PM

36 posts, read 100,977 times

Advertisements

Yep. We're STILL looking-LOL. We're just trying to find a 3bd. 2 bath house to rent and not pay more than $1350 a month. The problem I am having is that I've been spoiled by our condos' granite counter-tops and stainless steel appliances. I forgot that most apt. appliances are white.

I hope someone can tell me about more about Sachse. Rockwall looks good as well. The only thing I remember about Sachse is trying very hard to pronounce it correctly as "Sah-she", only to find out that it's "Sac-see". The guy told me to say it more like "sexy" with a Texas twang. I'd like to know how the commute is to Garland as well, since the Mr. will be working there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2009, 04:24 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
If the job is in Garland and your looking for more updated things like granite and all then go ahead and look IN Garland. If your looking at apartments look over at the newest ones in town at Parkside at Firewheel. These might have the amenities your looking for and it is right at the mall . The mall is literally right in Garland across from the Sachse border at Hwy 78 & 190. The commute from Sachse to Garland can be a pain on Hwy 78 as it is only 2 lanes in each direction and it does back up in rush hour. All of the new lights by the mall don't help either and then all of the traffic to/from Sachse literally has to take 78. There are a few backroads that do work for some but to get to Garland........ 78. Pleasant Valley can be just as bad but it is a 2 lane blacktop. You'd have to add at least 10-15 minutes to the commute if you picked Sachse over Garland. They both have the same school district (well, the Dallas County part of Sachse is in the GISD). There are very few apartments in Sachse though so your VERY limited there in that regard. Mostly single family homes and a "bedroom community". If you are going to be in town on July 25th then head up to Sachse to the Kroger parking lot for "Cars Under the Stars". I'd be there but we will be out of town. Go check it out and meet some people that all live in the area. You might even ask some you talk to about their car about a possible rental they know about. You never know

Old 07-17-2009, 04:31 PM

Default You must be on city-data mobile!

Wow, what a quick response! I've been looking at a TON of websites and I am working with an "agent". Most "agents" I've talked to only seem interested in helping if I were buying. I guess I'm a little frustrated. Finding a house for rent is harder than finding a condo or townhome for rent. I guess I may have to cross out the GCTops/SS appliances off my list. (sigh)

Old 07-19-2009, 08:46 AM

273 posts, read 700,613 times
I know of a rental house in Richardson near Plano Road at Renner Road. The rent is in the neighborhood of what you’re looking at and the house has 4 bedrooms 3.5 baths and a double car garage fenced yard but the drawback is there are no granite countertops or stainless steel appliances.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:38 PM

50 posts, read 195,146 times
I find Sachse a nice quiet little town. It is growing rapidly and new housing developments have popped up all over the area. It provides a country atmosphere.

The shopping isn't good but improving. A large shopping center is being developed North of Sachse in Murphy and a Super Target opens this coming week. There are new shopping centers in Wylie just to the Northeast also.

From my observations Garland is a declining city. It is rapidly changing demographics and becoming a Spanish speaking city. The school district is heavily hispanic. Children in North Sachse attend the Wylie School District while the Southern area attend the Garland School District. Other than the Firewheel Mall area (which have mainly overpriced stores) there are few good shopping areas in Garland. I read last week that one of their two Target stores will close in the coming months.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:34 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlett Resident View Post
I find Sachse a nice quiet little town. It is growing rapidly and new housing developments have popped up all over the area. It provides a country atmosphere.

The shopping isn't good but improving. A large shopping center is being developed North of Sachse in Murphy and a Super Target opens this coming week. There are new shopping centers in Wylie just to the Northeast also.

From my observations Garland is a declining city. It is rapidly changing demographics and becoming a Spanish speaking city. The school district is heavily hispanic. Children in North Sachse attend the Wylie School District while the Southern area attend the Garland School District. Other than the Firewheel Mall area (which have mainly overpriced stores) there are few good shopping areas in Garland. I read last week that one of their two Target stores will close in the coming months.

The "country atmosphere" of Sachse has been gone for awhile. It isn't what it used to be at all and is turning into another bedroom community full of tract housing and typical strip centers to serve them. Not much land left at all in Sachse and they didn't keep the large acreage lots like it had many years ago.

As for Garland, it is far from a "declining city". The city council is VERY proactive and for the last several years any apartment complex that the owners let go downhill the city has seized it, relocated tenants and torn down the buildings and revitalized. The city also has a very, VERY strict ordinance for rental properties so landlords can't let houses turn into dumps. Old shopping centers are getting revitalized as well. Over in South Garland there are actually some AWESOME areas of homes that are tucked back away from the main roads that would surprise a lot of people if they don't know they are there. It is a BEAUTIFUL area with nice well kept custom ranch homes, large lots, mature trees, creeks, etc. There are several shopping areas in Garland as well and Firewheel is far from "overpriced" (don't go to NorthPark or the Galleria if you think Firewheel is "overpriced" ) as it is just about every store you see at any other average mall anywhere. As for the Target, that one is older than me (over 40) and that is one of the shopping centers getting revitalized. It is not a SuperTarget either so this is a good thing for the city for it to be replaced w/ a NEW SuperTarget

Old 07-20-2009, 10:46 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,533,345 times
I like North Garland, Sachse and Rowlett areas. Rowlett has apartments on the North side of SH 66 over looking the Northern part of Lake Ray Hubbard. Never been in them, but they look nice. I also shop at Firewheel and don't mind the prices. As for the communte it will get better once the 190 is completed and the conjestion should lighten on 78, Firewheel and points beyond. So if your willing to fight with the traffic for a few more years you'll be fine. As we are not sure where in Garland this posters Hubby will be working at.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:42 PM

Talking Arriving sooner than later!

Thanks, all. We just found out he'll be working around Centerville/NW Highway (near 635). He starts mid August, so we'll be there sooner than I thought - oh joy !!!

We found an apartment complex we really liked, but in almost all of the reviews, people complained about the trash and Racoons! I know there are a lot of houses over there - I used to shop a little over there and my son attended Heather Glen. Hopefully we can find a 3 bedroom house to rent quickly. I toured a few apartments over there about 2 years ago and I wasn't impressed. I hope I am still able to "choose" a school for our boys. We'll arrive about a week before the school year starts. Wish us luck!

Old 07-21-2009, 02:43 PM

53 posts, read 145,878 times
If I had kids, I would avoid the Garland school district. Not bad, but there are better choices close by.

Consider part of Sachse in the Wylie school district or part of Rowlett that is in the Rockwall school district. Also areas of northeast Richardson and Murphy that are in the Plano ISD would be good options close to Garland.

Old 07-21-2009, 02:56 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,533,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmc757 View Post
If I had kids, I would avoid the Garland school district. Not bad, but there are better choices close by.

Consider part of Sachse in the Wylie school district or part of Rowlett that is in the Rockwall school district. Also areas of northeast Richardson and Murphy that are in the Plano ISD would be good options close to Garland.
My daughter is part of GISD and goes to a high school in Rowlett. GISD has very good schools and very good programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas