Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 06:29 PM

206 posts, read 1,078,355 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I was researching info about safe neighborhoods to live around Dallas or Richardson. Then I read one poster that said his nice neighborhood has had a house robbed last month and it happens in other nice neighborhoods too.

Then I was reading the reviews for the apartment complex The Village in Dallas, someone complained that people were robbed just going from the parking lot to their apartments. And that is supposed to be a nice and secure community!

So where is nice and safe without robberies in Dallas surroundings?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 08:56 PM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
If you find a crime free zone, please let me know.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:09 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,582,008 times
I lived in Oak Cliff, then east Dallas, then onto Irving, and finally Farmer's Branch and neither I nor my family ever experienced or was a victim of any sort of crime. Just play it safe and you'll be safe. And get a german shepherd .

Old 09-11-2009, 10:38 PM

585 posts, read 362,278 times
Really?!

I mean, really.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:51 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
If you were a robber where would you rather rob, some tiny house in a low income area or a nice sized house in a middle income area?

Old 09-12-2009, 07:19 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,478,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
If you were a robber where would you rather rob, some tiny house in a low income area or a nice sized house in a middle income area?
I kinda took on this theory when we lived in the serious 'hood on Eastside Ave. It ended up not being so bad. We had a lot of great neighbors on my block and we all kept an eye on each other, but seriously, nothing ever happened.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:23 AM

273 posts, read 700,205 times
Crime can happen anywhere in any neighborhood and in any setting. I have seen people, who live in secured high-rises be the victims attempted murder in their own building, and anther who had the best security system and a mean dog only to have their house robbed by their maid. I have also known people who live in Oak Cliff being mugged in front of their place while their place has never been touched. You just never know, as crime is everywhere!

Old 09-12-2009, 09:15 AM

438 posts, read 1,782,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
I was researching info about safe neighborhoods to live around Dallas or Richardson. Then I read one poster that said his nice neighborhood has had a house robbed last month and it happens in other nice neighborhoods too.
Richardson is quite safe compared to the average city. Where we have problems it looks like this: ,
* the south side suffers from criminals commuting up from Dallas to the south.
* To lesser extent the same thing happens on the east side from Garland.
* pattern of car burglary along 75 where folks hit the cars then head south down Central.
* residential burglaries in the daytime. The suspect vehicles, when observed, have been "late-model SUVs with big, shiny wheels" or crapped out compacts. Odd juxtaposition there.

There are online crime maps for Richardson and Dallas if you want to get an overview.

Pedantic correction/oversimplification: houses are burgled; people are robbed.

Last edited by fratermus; 09-12-2009 at 09:25 AM..

Old 09-12-2009, 09:49 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
Hello,

Then I was reading the reviews for the apartment complex The Village in Dallas, someone complained that people were robbed just going from the parking lot to their apartments. And that is supposed to be a nice and secure community!

So where is nice and safe without robberies in Dallas surroundings?

Thanks.
I said that because it's true. I do not want to mislead anyone. Houses are robbed, people are mugged, cars are broken into all over the DFW metroplex. It happens less frequently in some areas than in others. This neighborhood is extremely safe and has very little crime. I have accidentally left valuables like my house keys and my purse on my patio overnight and they were still there in the morning. That was partly luck, but partly because this neighborhood IS very safe. (I would not advise others to leave valuables out where thieves could get to them. That is common sense. I made a mistake and was lucky.)

This is a big city, the fourth-largest metropolitan area in the country. Crime is a reality here. I would rather deal with occasional property crime than violent crime. The neighborhood I moved out of had problems with both. This neighborhood has no violent crime to speak of and very very low levels of property crime.

You will not find a crime-free zone in DFW. Fact!

Get good insurance, lock your doors and windows, and be sure to close the blinds and draw the curtains before leaving the house. That is common sense. If you are afraid of someone breaking into your house while you are there, then get a gun. My last neighborhood did have issues with violent crime and home invasions, so that is exactly what I did. I still have my handgun and shotgun, and they are loaded and ready to go. I would expect to die in a plane crash or win the lottery before I would have to use either of my firearms in anger in this neighborhood. I am also trained in the use of both of my firearms so I am fully confident that if it came to that, I could use them successfully to defend myself. But again, that is something I absolutely do not expect!

Houses in middle-class areas are robbed because they have things worth stealing. They do not have the snazzy security systems that mansions have but they have some of the same easily-fenced valuables like jewelry, home theater systems, computers, iPods, etc. That is a fact of life, and it holds true not only in DFW but in other large metropolitan areas not only in the United States but in every first-world nation on Earth.

I found out about the single robbery in my neighborhood by looking at crime statistics for the area. It is not the "talk of the neighborhood," it is not like neighbors are standing on the sidewalk shifting uncomfortably and chatting about the "skyrocketing crime rates." Basically...s happens. That is what insurance is for.

As for The Village, my boyfriend lives there and has for years. He has never been robbed, though some of his neighbors have. He locks the doors and windows when he leaves the house, and he has renter's insurance. That is all you can do.

Good luck.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:11 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,611,625 times
Robberies in nice neighborhoods???
OMG, please tell me that didn't happen!!

No neighborhoods are immune to crime. Period. Some are safer than others, but it happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: