Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 03:41 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
I would choose no place other than Prosper for a suburb of Dallas.If we were not in Prosper we would be in Dallas or the Park city area.If I had to do a suburb west it would be Southlake. West Plano has way to many apartments near expensive subdivisions.It has become that way after poor zoning decisions in the past 15 years.
Sounds like someone has a great fear of being too close to anyone with a skin color less than pale and/or an accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 06:50 AM

64 posts, read 204,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Sounds like someone has a great fear of being too close to anyone with a skin color less than pale and/or an accent.
Hi, this could be the case but I want to speak against this charge anyway. The complex near my subdivision is sketchy. It was once nice but now I understand it is Section 8. They advertise free rent a lot. Our neighborhood association has tried hard to stop that practice. When my kids were at Barksdale, one of their classes had 18 children from that single complex. The stories my daughter came home with were heartbreakingly sad. We reached out to the school on behalf of several children living in abuse situations. Some of the kids were white, some were not. It isn't about skin color. It's about behavior. And I'm sorry to say that we saw a lot of poor decisions and poor little kids. I am in favor of everyone getting access to whichever school they desire, regardless of home ownership. But 18 difficult situations in one class proved too much for me. I wanted my kids around a diverse mix of kids/ situations. This was not diverse. It was heavily skewed toward the disadvantaged end of things. So we pulled out, adding to that skew. It is such a tough situation. But, for us, this had nothing to do with race and everything to do with environment.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:35 PM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times
Exactly.That is slowly becoming an issue in Plano...I could care less what race someone is.I choose to live amongst educated,mostly professional people.The racist card is laughable.Just because a certain race dominates a high income area,does not mean that the people that choose to live there are racist.I have worked my tail off to be where I am today.I have had zero hand outs.I surround myself with people similar who have made good choices.

Old 10-19-2011, 11:04 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,853,346 times
If not racist than an extremely snobbish viewpoint if the only acceptable areas are Prosper, Southlake and Park Cities, arguably the whitest, wealthiest and most elite demographics in all of DFW. Sorry, your post just reeks of one or the other. It's not that I don't like Prosper, I go to church there in fact. But our church is VERY WHITE and VERY WEALTHY. To snub neighboring cities like McKinney or Frisco is a little too Lah-dee-dah for my blood.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:09 AM

1,315 posts, read 2,679,239 times
I do not want to live amongst apartments and spend $500,000 on a house for the exact reason rabbit brings up.A class full of kids that are not all from wealthy families is a good thing.It is not a good thing when that class becomes majority disadvantaged with kids coming from homes where english is not the primary language.What happened at Barksdale can easily happen in other areas if the cities allow mass amounts of low cost apartments amongst expensive houses West Flower Mound,Highland Village, Colleyville,the lakewood area of Dallas and Westlake are great areas as well.All of these areas offer similar things that I like.There are some people who would never want a huge yard or a large property tax burden.There is a place for everyone here in Dfw.I find it amusing that time after time the race ard is thrown in when a poster admits to favoring certain cities. If I want to pay a premium for safety ,topography and great schools that does not make me a snob or a racist.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:30 AM

2,482 posts, read 6,529,597 times
No- althought each of those cities has great things to offer.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:33 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
McKinney, but I'd do it when the old Scorpion Drag Strip was still open...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas