Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 07:43 AM

153 posts, read 526,338 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of going to the state fair next weekend. I don't know anything about the fair besides it's in South Dallas(the hood) and got a ferris wheel lol. Is the fair anything like what we have in Houston every year for the rodeo or is it different? Any info on the fair would be greatly appreciated. On a side note me and my wife love soul food restaraunts - any recommendations in the DFW during our stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2009, 08:05 AM

1,643 posts, read 4,916,316 times
The very first time I attended the State Fair in Dallas, I was looking for a way to kill time that day and knew nothing about the fair or its customs. This was in the 1950s. And that day it was VERY crowded with people enjoying themselves, and I was the RARE white face to be seen! I had no problems enjoying myself as well, but couldn't get over the fact that I was such a standout in that crowd. Only later did I learn that in those days there was one day during the fair that was set aside for "people of color."

I've been several times over the subsequent years and always enjoyed myself. One thing people reading this may not realize is that the fairground is open year-around with various museums and other attractions - including the "carnival rides."

It's NOTHING like the Houston Rodeo events and yet in some ways has the same carnival atmosphere. The permanent structures at the State Fair make it the unique fairground that it is.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:06 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,479,589 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...tate-fair.html

BigTex.com

There are two restaurants you should try - South Dallas Cafe
Welcome to South Dallas Cafe — (214) 428-8856!

Or Elaine's for something a but more Carribean.
Elaine's Kitchen - Dallas, TX

Old 09-26-2009, 08:22 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,612,395 times
There's something there for people of all ages and all interests. Read up a bit, and go see it for yourself. Biggest and best fair in the U.S.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
We only went a couple of times while living in the Dallas area but it is a great fair. The only negative, it can get very pricey, but what the heck, we only live once.

Nita

Old 09-26-2009, 08:50 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,285,464 times
Yes, the neighborhoods surrounding the State Fair are not the best, but the fair itself is safe. You will see lots of police patrolling the fairgrounds. For safety's sake, park in the fair's official lots or in the streets near Exposition Park. Do not park in anyone's front yard or whatever they're offering, esp on the south, east or west areas.

The fairgrounds were built in the 1920s for the World's Fair (I believe). It is the single largest collection of Art Deco buildings in the US, so take note of the architecture & be sure to go into the buildings.

Yes, many buildings including the Music Hall, Women's Museum, and Museum of Nature & Science are open year-round. The midway games are open during a handful of other events during the year. But it's not like you can show up on a Thursday morning in April and ride the Ferris Wheel!

I'd recommend going on a Thursday evening or Sunday afternoon, when it's relatively less crowded. There is a fried food competition every year & people love to go samle the newest fried inventions. This year, it's fried butter along with 5-6 other contenders. Fletcher's Corny Dogs (near Big Tex) are a must!

There are many performances (dance, show animals & birds), hand-crafted goods (quilts, dolls, etc) on display, a car show, and always a few "freak of nature" things on display, like last year's statue made entirely from butter.

Midway games and carnival rides round out the day!

Beware, the entire fair operates on tickets, so you'll change your money at a ticket booth and then pay 11 tickets to ride the ferris wheel or 5 tickets for a corny dog.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:52 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
The fair has rides, games, exhibits, animal competitions (like 4-H type stuff), cooking competitions, museums, performances, all kinds of great fair food like funnel cakes and corny dogs. It's safe. Lots of families are there. It's very expensive if you ride rides and eat food and play games. Some of the other stuff is free.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:23 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
The buildings were built for the 1936 Texas Centernnial celebration. Originally, they were intended to be temporary structures, so it has taken a lot of preservation to bring them back to the shape they arein today.

Go to the Texas Lottery Game Show. Only adults 18+ can play, but it is FUN! Get there early to get a good seat.

Old 09-26-2009, 12:17 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,864,372 times
It is a MUST do every year for us. The kids all get a "Fair Day" and a free ticket into the fair. It is a LONG day but we ALL enjoy it and feel it is worth it. We don't do the midway games but do ride the rides, see the exhibits, car show, Elsie the Borden Milk cow and her baby Beauregard (get milk, oj or water at the Borden display for $1 ), walk, walk, eat, eat, walk, walk, eat, eat. See the petting zoo, sometimes the dog shows and all kinds of fun things. No, it is nothing like the Houston Stock Show. The Texas State Fair is one of the largest State Fairs in the country. Don't miss a Fletchers Corny Dog and sample some of the goodies you will only find at the State Fair.

FYI, the rides are NOT open year round. Only during the State Fair and a few other events will they be open and it is a FEW. There is a new Haunted House this year. The buildings that house the museums at Fair Park are open year round. There is the Science Museum, IMAX, Natural History, Women's Museum, African American Museum, etc.

Old 09-26-2009, 06:42 PM

326 posts, read 962,089 times
You can also take the DART Green Line right to the fair this year, so you don't even have to worry about parking! There are so many things to see and do at the fair it's definitely an all-day outing. Take time to wander into the Hall of State... it's a beautiful Art Deco building.

And don't forget the largest auto show in the Southwest!

Fair admission is $15. If you go to Kroger before the fair, you can get a combo DART ticket/admission ticket for $16. If you want to go more than once, you can get a season pass for $30 which includes unlimited admissions, one guest pass for a friend, and a Cinemark movie ticket. Quite the deal!

BigTex.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas