Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 03:07 PM

9 posts, read 27,118 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!
I am 23 years old, and I am moving to Texas in May 2010, from Baton Rouge, LA. I am planning on going to grad school in Texas, but I'm not sure what city to move to. The top conteders are San Antonio, Galveston, Fort Worth, and Dallas. I would really like your input on any of these cities. I've been to San Antonio several times, because my sister lives there. Its a nice place, but I think I want to try somewhere new. I've never been to Galveston, Fort Worth, or Dallas.

Dallas - How crazy big is dallas? I am a little nervous about moving by myself to a big city (not that Baton Rouge is small or anything). How is the weather there? Its usually super hot and humid in South Louisiana. I would be going to school at the UT Southwestern Medical Center. How is the area around the school? They have on-campus apartments for $800/mo. Is that the normal price for an apartment, or would I be able to find something near the school for less ($500-600)? Do you have to drive your car everywhere you go, or is there public transportation? How is the cost of living in Dallas? Is it an expensive city? Also, I'd like to be able to do some outdoor activies like biking, hiking, etc. Do they have anything like that in Dallas? I'm sorry to ask so many random questions, but I have lived in Louisiana most of my life and I have no idea what to expect in a big city like Dallas.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated!

Old 10-26-2009, 07:10 PM

63 posts, read 185,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingInMay View Post
Hi everyone!
I am 23 years old, and I am moving to Texas in May 2010, from Baton Rouge, LA. I am planning on going to grad school in Texas, but I'm not sure what city to move to. The top conteders are San Antonio, Galveston, Fort Worth, and Dallas. I would really like your input on any of these cities. I've been to San Antonio several times, because my sister lives there. Its a nice place, but I think I want to try somewhere new. I've never been to Galveston, Fort Worth, or Dallas.

Dallas - How crazy big is dallas? I am a little nervous about moving by myself to a big city (not that Baton Rouge is small or anything). How is the weather there? Its usually super hot and humid in South Louisiana. I would be going to school at the UT Southwestern Medical Center. How is the area around the school? They have on-campus apartments for $800/mo. Is that the normal price for an apartment, or would I be able to find something near the school for less ($500-600)? Do you have to drive your car everywhere you go, or is there public transportation? How is the cost of living in Dallas? Is it an expensive city? Also, I'd like to be able to do some outdoor activies like biking, hiking, etc. Do they have anything like that in Dallas? I'm sorry to ask so many random questions, but I have lived in Louisiana most of my life and I have no idea what to expect in a big city like Dallas.

Any info or suggestions would be appreciated!
I graduated from University of Texas at Dallas(UTD) in engineering field 4 years ago, and I really like this school. UTD is a great school locates in North Richardson that has been growing rapidly in recently years due to attracting many students come from other states as well as international students in variety of majors from business to engineering areas. Cost living around UTD campus is affortable comparing to other universities in Texas. You can easy find an on-campus apartment/dorm within that price range. You can make a tour to this school to discover more about it.
You mentioned about attending Southwestern Medical Center, so I guess your major will be in medical fields, and I think it is very hard to meet your criteria/requirements as a student with Southwestern Medical Center or SMU since the living cost is high and tough to meet your personal lifestyle and activities as you desired. Also areas around Downtown is not really safe places to live. The more you go toward North from Downtown Dallas, the better.
Lastly, I think you should make a trip for few days to visit the universities on your wish list and tour around Dallas to see the reality.
Good luck!

Old 10-26-2009, 08:49 PM

Thank you! I appreciate the quick response. I think I will take a trip to each school to see what they are like and spend a couple of days in town too!

Old 10-26-2009, 09:18 PM

23 posts, read 264,801 times
I live in Dallas but Fort Worth is on your list. What school? If I was a grad student I would seriously consider Fort Worth. Seems like a nice combination of night life and peace and quiet.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eltbee View Post
I live in Dallas but Fort Worth is on your list. What school? If I was a grad student I would seriously consider Fort Worth. Seems like a nice combination of night life and peace and quiet.
In Fort Worth, I would go to University of North Texas Health Science Center. In Dallas, I would go to the UT Southwestern Medical Center. If I don't live on campus at the school in Fort Worth, where would you suggest I look for apartments. Also, where would you suggest I live in Dallas? I want to be within 15 minutes of the campus, regardless of which city I decide to live in. Are there any areas in either city I should avoid living in? How is traffic in either city? I want to be close to everything, but I dont want to live in an unsafe area.

Is there public transportation in Dallas, or do most people just drive everywhere?

Last edited by MovingInMay; 10-26-2009 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: typos

Old 10-27-2009, 12:03 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,519,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTDGraduate View Post
Also areas around Downtown is not really safe places to live. The more you go toward North from Downtown Dallas, the better. Lastly, I think you should make a trip for few days to visit the universities on your wish list and tour around Dallas to see the reality.
Good luck!
Your uninformed generalizations about safety in Dallas are really getting on my nerves. You obviously don't know much about inner city Dallas based on this statement and others you have made. You should take your own advice and explore Dallas to see the reality for yourself. Until then, it would be nice if you would just comment on the areas with which you are familiar.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:14 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,309,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Your uninformed generalizations about safety in Dallas are really getting on my nerves. You obviously don't know much about inner city Dallas based on this statement and others you have made. You should take your own advice and explore Dallas to see the reality for yourself. Until then, it would be nice if you would just comment on the areas with which you are familiar.
Me, too! I'm glad you adressed this before I had to tell this guy off for the umteenth time!!

To the OP- to put it bluntly, unless you are off-the-charts brilliant, the city you attend grad school in is going to be driven by which school admits you. Do you know how hard it is to get into UT Southwestern, particularly from out of state???

That being said, for grad school, they're all good cities (with the exception of Galveston). You'll be on a limited budget and studying/ researching lots, so there is enough nightlife to entertain a grad student in any of those.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:32 PM

326 posts, read 962,600 times
If you go to UT Southwestern Medical Center, it will be connected via the DART Green Line to downtown and Love Field in 2010. Public transit in Dallas is much better than the other cities on your list, if that's an issue.

DART.org - Dallas Area Rapid Transit

Old 10-27-2009, 04:45 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,111,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas native View Post
Your uninformed generalizations about safety in Dallas are really getting on my nerves. You obviously don't know much about inner city Dallas based on this statement and others you have made.
UT Southwestern/Parkland is NOT in a good area of town. Period.

BUT, within 15-20 minutes, you can drive to very decent parts of town.

Old 10-27-2009, 04:50 PM

63 posts, read 185,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Me, too! I'm glad you adressed this before I had to tell this guy off for the umteenth time!!

To the OP- to put it bluntly, unless you are off-the-charts brilliant, the city you attend grad school in is going to be driven by which school admits you. Do you know how hard it is to get into UT Southwestern, particularly from out of state???

That being said, for grad school, they're all good cities (with the exception of Galveston). You'll be on a limited budget and studying/ researching lots, so there is enough nightlife to entertain a grad student in any of those.
I don't care about you guys getting mad at my advice. That's your problem. I just give the OP the best information I can. That's reason why I have ignored your previous posts. The kind of person like you just tend to hear positive comments and not welcome any negative comments. So I dont want to waste my time and my energy to argue with you.
Per your statement "That being said, for grad school, they're all good cities (with the exception of Galveston)..."
I don't think you have a broad knowledge about universities in Texas.
Have you ever visit the University of Houston at Downtown and see how bad around its campus(drug traffic occurs even in day time, I stopped by a convienient store near the campus, the dopie guy asked me if I want to buy drugs that they called as 'ice", also some homeless people harrassly ask me for helping money. Have you ever visit Downtown Houston to see life there too?
My friend has a convenient store in Downtown Dallas near Harry Hines Blvd and Lucas Dr. His store got robbed by gun 4 times since he owned this store. Gee, this is unbelievable! I also have friends living in the hoods of Downtown Dallas, and sometimes I go there to hang around with them on weekend and I know how the life in Downtown looks. So no matter how mad you are about my advice, I definitely don't care.

To me, Downtown Dallas and its close surround areas are good place for entertainment, going out/social activities,.., but not a good place to live.

Last edited by UTDGraduate; 10-27-2009 at 05:12 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas