Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 11:05 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,241,509 times

Advertisements

I find it a little bit more than ironic that the housing authority accuses Sunnyvale of being racist against minorities because they do not provide low income or multi-unit housing. Seems to me that the housing authority is implying that only minorities use low income housing and are incapable of mortgaging a home. Unless the town of Sunnyvale has a rule not allowing minorities to move there, or takes actions to make minorities who do live there uncomfortable than there is nothing racist about it.

I have personally seen low income section 8 housing ruin parts of northeast Dallas, and nearly ruin far south Garland. Kudos to Sunnyvale for trying to keep their town nice.

There is an abundance of low income housing in Mesquite, Dallas, and Balch Springs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 05:07 AM

11,858 posts, read 26,887,205 times
I saw the report on last night's news and that is ridiculous. Sunnyvale wants to keep a rural feel to its community with large lots and low-density housing. They aren't discriminating against anyone because of race! And if they did build multi-unit housing there, the DART line is nowhere close to Sunnyvale, and there is no industry there for these people to get jobs. What a joke!

I sure hope Southlake isn't next on this agenda...

Old 10-28-2009, 07:46 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
The Govt needs to spread the love to everyone. That way any crime that is comes with this situation is not concentrated in one area and it makes the crime rate in areas appear to go down.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:04 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
I was pissed enough a few years ago when someone tried to sue the city of Sunnyvale for forcing developers to all have acreage lots. The city lost that one. I'm GLAD they didn't lose on this one. LOCAL GOVERNMENT should RULE!!! If the feds or county want low income housing then they can find PLENTY of areas already zoned to fit what they are wanting to put in. No need to go and FORCE and cram this crap down peoples throats. If the area is not zoned for apartments then leave it alone.

Sunnyvale is a SMALL town. Their resources are thin so they do NOT have the resources to have an influx of high density housing for low income residents flood their town.

This kind of crap pisses me off.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:08 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I saw the report on last night's news and that is ridiculous. Sunnyvale wants to keep a rural feel to its community with large lots and low-density housing. They aren't discriminating against anyone because of race! And if they did build multi-unit housing there, the DART line is nowhere close to Sunnyvale, and there is no industry there for these people to get jobs. What a joke!

I sure hope Southlake isn't next on this agenda...
Reminds me of when they built all of that public housing up in Far North Carrollton/Dallas right there at Frankford and Kelly. Way back before DART. There was NO business whatsoever in the general area for them to find a job (hmm, like some of them are actually looking for a job), no medical facilities nearby within walking distance, no grocery store close by to walk to... NOTHING! Just a junior high across the street and houses and apartments. It DID bring that area down.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:20 AM

6,824 posts, read 14,039,451 times
I live near Sunnyvale and any multi-housing request makes no sense to me. They are not and will not ever join DART and there are few businesses in Sunnyvale. I have noticed alot of medical facilities being built but these places do not employ alot of minimum wage jobs. It is a small town with 3A schools. They simply can't handle a large influx of people.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:24 AM

1,533 posts, read 7,241,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
I was pissed enough a few years ago when someone tried to sue the city of Sunnyvale for forcing developers to all have acreage lots. The city lost that one. I'm GLAD they didn't lose on this one. LOCAL GOVERNMENT should RULE!!! If the feds or county want low income housing then they can find PLENTY of areas already zoned to fit what they are wanting to put in. No need to go and FORCE and cram this crap down peoples throats. If the area is not zoned for apartments then leave it alone.

Sunnyvale is a SMALL town. Their resources are thin so they do NOT have the resources to have an influx of high density housing for low income residents flood their town.

This kind of crap pisses me off.
Exactly. If people don't like Sunnyvales way of doing things, than don't live there. The government has no business coming in telling them how to run their town. They have even gone as far to say Sunnyvale is historically racist and was created solely to be an inclusive community.

The fact is the majority of the time low income housing will ruin an area. People who are handed things take no pride in them because they did not have to work hard to earn it. They fuss and moan that low income housing is in a bad area why can't they live in a nice area without realizing they are the problem.

I can recall a time when far south Garland was a bustling area full of shopping and restaurants. The cesspool that was Village of Eastgate is one of the primary reasons that area when downhill. Years ago when that place was still around my aunt worked at a store in the area and through shoplifting and various forms of fraud the store she worked for lost tons a money. The best thing Garland did was buy that place and shut it down.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:38 AM

86 posts, read 244,487 times
Kuddos to Sunnyvale for wanting to keep low income housing OUT!!! I live at Frankford/Tollway in Dallas where several of these types of units came in, and yes, increased crime also came along with it!!! There was definitely a change in my area. There are certain convenience stores within blocks of my home that I would never go to late at night. It's not so much the people that live in these units that are the problem, as they are highly screened, and some of these folks really are trying to improve their lives and work hard... it's their family and friends that come to visit...

I agree with everyone that there is nothing racist about Sunnyvale for not wanting low income housing. I'm sure there are plenty of hard-working, law abiding minorities living in Sunnyvale, and I know Sunnyvale is happy to have them!!!! If not liking criminals makes one a racist, then I guess I'm a racist too! Low Income housing = Criminals Coming to Your Area. Period.

Sunnyvale is very smart to want to keep these units out of their safe community. Sunnyvale sounds like a wonderful place to live, safe, family friendly, and beautiful. I hope it stays that way for the people who live there. I hope the resistants can fight this.

I used to think living in a suburb protected you from low income housing but even Frisco, McKinney and Plano have them, though I think the ones in Plano are mostly for seniors, which I don't see being a problem.

Last edited by HappyinDallas; 10-28-2009 at 11:52 AM..

Old 10-28-2009, 01:02 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,749,981 times
It's funny because I live in an area where the average home value is $250+. My immediate subdivision is probably $350-400K. PLENTY of diversity. Neighbors to the left are black, to the right chinese, across black, kitty corner left hispanic, kitty corner right white (as am I).

This smacks of the same crap that Parker parents are pulling with PISD. "Don't pull out the rich Murphy kids because then our our rich white kids will be stuck with minority poor kids and YOU KNOW poor minority kids can't actually learn anything and they'll rub off on our kids."

Bah!

I hate stereotyping and the assumption that minorities can't be rich or successful. THAT's discriminatory.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:35 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,039,451 times
Well to be honest just what city would want low income housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas