Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 11:50 AM

101 posts, read 275,083 times

Advertisements

I heard that North Garland was a nice area??? and that Firewheel was a nice neighborhood, but I would be surprised if we could find a rental there.

1) Where would you recommend? Factors for us are low-crime/safe, family friendly, nice mix of cultures(as much as poss.),nice sense of community togetherness and not too far from decent shopping areas ( ie: malls) and parks. We homeschool, so schools are not an issue. I have received some answers before, and I am so thankful for those who have answered. The more input the better.

2)Which neighborhoods other than Spring Valley should we avoid?

3) Which mall/shopping areas should we avoid?

4) Parks to avoid?

5)Nice parks? (with walking/biking trails, nice playgrounds etc)?

6) Neighborhoods to definitely avoid ?

7) What is the weather like Nov.-March in these areas and Dallas in general?

Since we do not live in TX, thanks ahead of time for being our ears and eyes. We will be talking to a realtor eventually but it will have to be long-distance. I have no idea who to choose? If you can recommend a Realtor with whom you have had a good experience/knows these areas well /can help us with rentals please pm me their info. If we like that person alot, once we are ready to buy, we will continue to use his/her services and recommend others to him/her.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 12:37 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,268,664 times
There are about 14 single family homes for rent in the Firewheel area of Garland ranging from 1100 to 2200. You should have a few to choose from when the time comes.

Firewheel itself has an outdoor mall. Firewheel Town Center - Garland, TX 75040 | Simon Malls

Naima

Naima

Old 10-26-2009, 12:53 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,912,979 times
Hey, got your pm. Have not been on much. Just in flashes. I'll sit down later this afternoon and hopefully get a chance.

1) Where would you recommend? Factors for us are low-crime/safe, family friendly, nice mix of cultures(as much as poss.),nice sense of community togetherness and not too far from decent shopping areas ( ie: malls) and parks. We homeschool, so schools are not an issue. I have received some answers before, and I am so thankful for those who have answered. The more input the better.

There are not many areas of Richardson or Garland to avoid. Some areas that are not "THE" best are going to be small in size and older. The Firewheel area is pretty good and your right, not many rentals. Look in the 75044 and 75040 area codes to start with.

Depends. Kind of hard to say to avoid an entire area as the other areas adjacant could be just fine.

No malls to avoid. I don't care to head over to Town East in Mesquite as it is ALWAYS crowded. The new outdoor mall in Garland, Firewheel Town Center is very nice.

4) Parks to avoid?
I know of 2 in Rowlett I'd avoid unless I was in the market for some certain goods. Other than that there are not many parks to avoid. Breckinridge Park in Richardson right on the Garland border is very nice, large and popular.

Breckinridge is nice and big. There are a ton more around and just depends on what your looking for.

Again, tough to say. In your price range though you should be fine.

Flip a coin. Never pack your shorts and t-shirts away. Even in winter there are days when shorts and a sweatshirt will be just fine. Yesterday the high was around 72 but it was cloudy and a cool breeze. This time last week was drop dead BEAUTIFUL!!!! We can have a high in the 30's one day and the next it is close to 60. The 30 degree weather could be warm sunshine and the 60 degree weather could be cold rain. Our weather is kind of bipolar.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:57 PM

3,822 posts, read 8,756,745 times
There's a neighborhood just south of Firewheel on the other side of 190. You'll be able to find rentals there and it's a reasonably nice neighborhood (not as nice as it should be). There's homeschoolers in the neighborhood and a nice neighborhood park with a good mix of open space, a pecan grove, picnic tables, a creek, bridge, trees and two play sets. Coomer Park. Actually the area is four different "subdivisions" but they've come together under the Coomer Creek neighborhood association (voluntary) and sort of branded the neighborhood that way, so you may find some reference to that.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:08 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,912,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
There's a neighborhood just south of Firewheel on the other side of 190. You'll be able to find rentals there and it's a reasonably nice neighborhood (not as nice as it should be). There's homeschoolers in the neighborhood and a nice neighborhood park with a good mix of open space, a pecan grove, picnic tables, a creek, bridge, trees and two play sets. Coomer Park. Actually the area is four different "subdivisions" but they've come together under the Coomer Creek neighborhood association (voluntary) and sort of branded the neighborhood that way, so you may find some reference to that.
Second this area. Coomer Park is nice. It is tucked back there and a lot of people don't know about it. We have had soccer practices there before.

You are correct, the neighborhood is not as nice as it should be. There are a few spotty houses that are the main culprits but otherwise it IS a nice neighborhood and everyone else keeps their house and yard up very well. Just those few here and there but those can be anywhere. Convienent as well.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:54 PM

63 posts, read 185,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmom View Post
I heard that North Garland was a nice area??? and that Firewheel was a nice neighborhood, but I would be surprised if we could find a rental there.

4) Parks to avoid?

Since we do not live in TX, thanks ahead of time for being our ears and eyes. We will be talking to a realtor eventually but it will have to be long-distance. I have no idea who to choose? If you can recommend a Realtor with whom you have had a good experience/knows these areas well /can help us with rentals please pm me their info. If we like that person alot, once we are ready to buy, we will continue to use his/her services and recommend others to him/her.

Thanks,
For your criteria, I definitely recommend renting the home in these areas as follows:
Choice #1: somewhere between Renner Rd and Plano Rd.
Choice #2: somewhere between Apollo Rd and Plano Rd. There is a nice public park along a small creek is being reconstruction and upgrading now near the Post Office on Apollo & Plano Rd. Also close to the LA fitness on Beltline Rd

Old 10-27-2009, 03:16 AM

339 posts, read 1,436,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTDGraduate View Post
For your criteria, I definitely recommend renting the home in these areas as follows:
Choice #1: somewhere between Renner Rd and Plano Rd.
Choice #2: somewhere between Apollo Rd and Plano Rd. There is a nice public park along a small creek is being reconstruction and upgrading now near the Post Office on Apollo & Plano Rd. Also close to the LA fitness on Beltline Rd
Nothing wrong with these areas, but by only focusing on the east side of 75, you'd be ruling out fantastic 75080 neighborhoods like The Reservation, Richardson Heights and Canyon Creek!

Old 10-28-2009, 06:46 PM

101 posts, read 275,083 times
Default Thanks.........

for the info.

What is that area like where the LA fitness is on Beltline? Nice?

Which subdivision would you say is the nicest of the main 3 mentioned: The Reservation, Richardson Heights and Canyon Creek? Any of them have their own community pool? I believe Richardson Heights does not, if I remember correctly.

Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate it!

musicmom

Last edited by musicmom; 10-28-2009 at 07:43 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 07:07 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,325,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicmom View Post
for the info.

What is that area like where the LA fitness is on Beltline? Nice?

Which subdivision would you say is the nicest of the following 3: The Reservation, Richardson Heights and Canyon Creek? Any of them have their own pools? I believe Richardson Heights does not.

Thanks so much for your help. I appreciate it!

musicmom
All of these neighborhoods are older; Richardson Heights/Heights Park/Cottonwood Heights are the oldest of those, then The Reservation, then Canyon Creek.

Save for a few teardowns in Canyon Creek, the vast majority of these houses were built from the 1950s to the 1970s, before the gated community trend. Most are also on quarter acre or larger lots, which are large enough to have their own pools in the yards...and many do.

As a result they do not have their own private, neighborhood-only facilities like you would find in new subdivisions in the boonies. The pools in Richardson recreation centers are public. If you went to the one at Heights Park, I would bet good money that many of the people swimming there do not actually live in Heights Park.

None of the above neighborhoods have mandatory HOAs either, and I think none have restrictive covenants aside from the standard Richardson city codes. To put it bluntly, you may be sharing your neighborhood pools with people who have no "right" to be there (a lot of rec center users live in Dallas) and your neighbor can paint his house purple, though it is exceedingly unlikely that he will.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:39 PM

3,822 posts, read 8,756,745 times
Personally I love the Canyon Creek neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas