Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 07:49 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,147,385 times

Advertisements

Just out of curiosity, what does you husband do in the Navy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 08:13 AM

43 posts, read 121,643 times
Where in Bremerton is your house? We just sold a house in East Bremerton on Sheridan Rd, and made enough to buy a much bigger and newer home here in TX.

Old 06-18-2007, 10:26 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Rochelle is a good school. Rockwall is very family oriented w/ plenty to do w/ the kids. Check out Harry Myers Park and all of the fun free stuff going on during the summer in Rockwall. Then the new development on the lake w/ the movie theater, restaurants, marina and shops. Good golf in Rockwall too w/ The Shores and Buffalo Creek. I forgot the age of your children but if they are still preschool age there is a VERY active Early Childhood PTA in Rockwall. LakePointe Baptist Church has the Upwards program for the kids for soccer & basketball along w/ a HUGE Vacation Bible School and camps. TONS of kids participate in all of these activities that don't go to church there. You won't be bombarded w/ people hitting you over the head w/ a Bible but it will be a GREAT way to get the kids to meet friends and for yourself too. You may find that most of the people you meet thru here don't go to church tere. A new small hospital is opening up out there that is part of the Presbyterian Hospital network here in Dallas. The place is growing but still keeping a small town charm.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:03 AM

27 posts, read 101,468 times
OUr house is in E. Bremerton, in the Tracyton area. I was a realtor in the area for two years, and now am working with an associate. Sounds like we will come out very well!

Old 06-19-2007, 02:06 AM

Thanks for the info about Rochell. I am having a positive insight on the move. We will be in Rockwall, first part of AUg. I am a very social creature, and plan on meeting people in many venues! I will look for a j ob, then after I am settled buy a house, and start thinking about opening my dream business......a fair trade boutique! I look forward to our move!

Old 06-19-2007, 02:09 AM

My husband is a Almost retired Senior Chief with over 24 years, that makes him a manager of personnel

2) His background is with control systems for propulsion, electrical, and auxiliary systems

HIs primary interest is to find a job in the energy field. But is not all inclusive to that idea

Old 06-19-2007, 11:35 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,147,385 times
I was an EW2 when I got out. I didn't want to do the full 20 plan, and for the most part I don't regret my decision. There are times where I miss the travel, but the Navy has a lot of BS too. He has all my respect for sticking with it for the full course.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,554 times
Default 2nd opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmile13 View Post
Hi! I am moving to Rockwall TExas at the end of July 07. I will be moving with children ages 9, and 11. My husband will be retiring in Jan 08. We have spent many years in So CA., but almost 6 years in Japan.I am making the move solo, in hopes to check out the area, and decide if it will be our final destiny. I will be looking for employment, and setting up temp housing with a family member. I would prefer to stay in or around Rockwell, to sty close to family, but really want the best retirement area for military families. Can anyone share their thoughts about teh Rockwell area?
Thanks!
DFW area is a fine place to live. As a reserve officer with many years active duty I too am planning to retire to a military friendly community and frankly will consider myself more retired military than retired civil service, but I have a few years to go. Therefore I am planning a head.

I worked and lived in Dallas county for over two years and south TX for 5 prior to that. I left Dallas for 3 years active duty assignment to the Pentagon and stayed in the area. Although my family was happy in Dallas (Irving) the change to the DC area pointed out that Dallas is NOT a military community.
For my retirement planning I want easy access to one or more MAJOR bases for the usual reasons plus the comraderie of fellow military but it has to be in a low to moderate cost of living area too. Dallas is good for cost and quality of live. But NAF Fort Worth is a typical reserve Air Facility. DOD has a PX Mart NOT a COMMISSARY. Run by AAFES its OK but limited. I was there 1998-2000 and think because of the BRAC of Carswell (now Joint Reserve Base/NAF FT W) some attention was plugged into the facility to satisfy the fair amount of retired USAF in the community. I suspect that will fade with time; you'll be left with a strictly Reserve facility - that means low budget support.

I am skeptical about smaller bases because 1) they're BRAC bait and 2) facilities and services are limited.

I have scratched Dallas off my list for that reason. San Antonio is high on the list.

Sincerely
HPD

Old 03-31-2008, 12:09 PM

6,824 posts, read 14,036,923 times
Rockwall is a great community. Since your comming in August I will give you fair warning regarding the brutal summers here. You get use to it but it can my mind numbing for those who are not use to it. I am postive that you will enjoy the area and like early stated. Rockwall is really growing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas