Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2009, 11:13 AM

137 posts, read 372,050 times

Advertisements

Can everyone tell me about Allen... pros-cons. Looking for a good place to relocate that will be central to where we might find jobs. Want small town feel, good schools, low crime. Husband is a texan he loves the country. I hate too big of a commute. Want happy medium. We are definately not city slickers. Will be renting at first before deciding the area to buy in. Also, maybe some NICE apartment communities in Allen to start our journey off on the right foot. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 11:28 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
Allen is a suburb - not small town, not rural. There are lots of houses lined up and strip malls. It's a nice area. Safe. Schools are above average, but their high school (10th-12th grades) is HUGE with 3,657 students. Allen is not exactly centrally located being a bit north, but not considered a far flung exurb either. I like Allen a lot. I love their public indoor pool/workout facility.

Old 12-17-2009, 02:47 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,236,659 times
If you've never been to Dallas, I'm sure Allen looks like a rural area on the map, but it's not - it's now just a part of Dallas, not at all small town or country - nearly everything is fairly new and the traffic moves fast. There are many businesses there, lots of jobs - dpending upon what you're looking for, of couse. For a country feel, you're going to have to go much farther north, on past McKinney (which is over 100,000) (Allen just blends into McKinney)..... to at least Melissa/Anna/Van Alstyne. You won't find any apartment complexes there, but there are nice homes (most less than 5 years old), moderately priced, for rent/lease and for sale in Melissa and Anna.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:42 AM

137 posts, read 372,050 times
No. I've never been to Dallas. I was just trying to pick some place not too far out not knowing where either of us would be working. Seems McKinney is a bit far or is that just how it looks on the map??? Also, what about Plano???? Appreciate your input.

Old 12-18-2009, 07:11 AM

583 posts, read 2,633,546 times
Renting is smart if you have never lived here. Allen is a great spot IMO. The job market is tough here, my DH was part of the 'unemployment numbers' for 6 months. Our 2 1/2 years here has been lovely (even with the unemployment) but we choose Mckinney as our home and now my hubby is making a commute to FW...51 miles door to door. YIKES! So many things to consider.....

Old 12-18-2009, 06:31 PM

333 posts, read 1,021,570 times
I just moved to Plano, and I think Allen is beautiful!! Lots of newer construction going on, great overall vibe in the town. We are renting right now in Plano, but when it comes time to buy a house, we plan on looking in Allen also. Plano is great too. McKinney has alot of older buildings, and seems very "country" if you know what I mean. I would not choose to live in McKinney. From my perspective, I would choose Plano or Allen. I commute down to Lemmon/Gaston area in Dallas for work, and it takes me about 25-30 minutes from Plano.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:59 PM

6,800 posts, read 14,023,558 times
Allen is a newer nice community. It has good schools and low crime. Although most jobs are located between downtown and Plano getting a job that is not along Central expressway or the tollroad could cause a killer commute. Like any city you choose there will be some things you will have to endure. For the northern burbs it is typically commute time. Today I traveled the tollroad during my evening commute traveling south. The northbound lane was like a parking lot as far as my eye could see. I would look at Richardson or Lake Highlands if you want something more centrally located. Find a job along central or the tollroad and Allen would be a good place to put down some roots.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:13 AM

1,383 posts, read 3,432,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoycMarr View Post
I just moved to Plano, and I think Allen is beautiful!! Lots of newer construction going on, great overall vibe in the town. We are renting right now in Plano, but when it comes time to buy a house, we plan on looking in Allen also. Plano is great too. McKinney has alot of older buildings, and seems very "country" if you know what I mean. I would not choose to live in McKinney. From my perspective, I would choose Plano or Allen. I commute down to Lemmon/Gaston area in Dallas for work, and it takes me about 25-30 minutes from Plano.
McKinney has a country feel? Since when?

Old 12-20-2009, 10:28 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,479,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoycMarr View Post
McKinney has alot of older buildings, and seems very "country" if you know what I mean. I would not choose to live in McKinney.
I would translate that into meaning white trash. Is that what you meant?

Old 12-20-2009, 12:24 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,459,410 times
McKinney is the county seat of Collin County so it's been settled a long time. It has the newer housing developments, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas