Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 10:33 PM

686 posts, read 2,437,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post

My non scientific logic says this if we have had a month of below normal weather, maybe January or February will be a month of unusually warm weather...or is that just wishful thinking??
Don't hold your breath on that theory. We have had some warmer than average Winters in years past, so it's only a matter of time until we get a cooler than average Winter, especially in El Nino years like we are in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 10:34 PM

8 posts, read 17,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
When I was a kid in the`70s it seems we had snow more often than we do now, not counting this odd winter. I remember one year, maybe someone here can tell me what year it was, we had over a foot fall over a couple of days and it actually stuck around. We kids, of course, had an absolute blast. I also remember that horrid ice storm, maybe 1979? That was a mess.
I think it was January of 1978 that we had snow that stuck...and stuck around, too. I recall there being several snow storms over a period of maybe two weeks, with temps low enough to prevent it melting but not so cold high above to turn the snow to ice and sleet before hitting ground (as usually happens to what would be snow here).

It was so memorable. There was actually enough snow to make snow men that weren't covered in yellow grass blades because we didn't have to roll up every flake of snow in the yard to make them. LOL. We had snowball fights, rather than the ice ball fights that end after someone actually gets hit. (It's all fun and games 'til someone gets hurt.) Our dad, also a Dallas native, bought us a couple of disks and drove us out to some steep, high hills for some sliding fun a few times during that ten or so days of snow. And, of course, like he did at least once during almost every ice storm each winter, he took us out sliding his pickup around empty parking lots, only more times and more often than during other winter storms. The man had to do something to keep himself and five kids from climbing the walls and aggravating one another with all of those snow days home from school. Oh, how we loved all of those days spent at home because the combination of Dallas drivers and ice- and slush-covered roads caused the schools to close. It was almost like a second Christmas holiday vacation from school, with a gift of snow instead of wrapped presents.

Thanks, TXNGL, for mentioning that winter. As priceless as those memories are to me, this is the first I'd thought about them in a very long time.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:36 PM

1,816 posts, read 2,514,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelito23 View Post
I love seeing all of the different interpretations of the weather from you all. The funny thing is, even in real life and not on this web site, people are mentioning how "fluky" the weather iss Yet every night when I see the forecast, it calls for more of the same, 40s through the period and lows in the 20s, no warm spells at all. The guy on Ch. 11 just said this was the coldest December in 10 years also...and that January will start out the same with a major Artic front!!! But if this is so fluky, shouldn't it be short lived? I guess we will see how much snow we get on Tueday...then again on Thursday, lol. At this rate we can open up a ski hill somewhere in North Texas lol.

My non scientific logic says this if we have had a month of below normal weather, maybe January or February will be a month of unusually warm weather...or is that just wishful thinking??
Sadly, I'd say it is probably just wishful thinking. Dallas weather is all kinds of goofy to predict. I still remember the summer a few years ago where it rained just about every day.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:36 PM

8 posts, read 17,589 times
If you don't like the weather in Texas, wait a minute.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:14 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
Does Tampa, Miami and Orlando receive snow too? Comparing Dallas to Florida because they both have cold weather is like comparing Mineapolis to Dallas because they both have cold weather.
I lived in Florida for 14 years and never saw snow. But most of that time was in Orlando. As a child (80's) I remember being in Panama City Beach and seeing some flurries. I grew up in Chicago and we used to go to Panama City Beach at least once a year. The extreme norther parts of Florida can get soem snow but its very rare.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:13 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,518,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
I like Dallas because it has seasons. Houston is warm all year round. Dallas Native is wrong and Houston is much warmer and consistently warmer all year round than Dallas. They might receive some cold weather but they don't get snow and ice like Dallas. Even if they do receive some snow in some fluke occurrence, it will only affect some parts of the city and it will usually melt by the time it hits the ground. I've been in Dallas where we received a foot of snow on the ground and it was all over the city and it lasted more than a day.
Wrong. Houston is warmer on average than Dallas in the winter, but not during the summer. It might feel warmer in Houston due to the higher humidity, but the reality is that Dallas is hotter during the summer. Dallas temps are more extreme than Houston's. The average low in January in Dallas is 34 degrees and in Houston it is 41. But in July the average high temperature in Dallas is 96 while it is 94 in Houston. When you compare the range of temps for each city, you will see that the lowest to highest temps ever recorded in Dallas range from -1 to 113. The lowest to highest recorded temps for Houston range from 7 - 107.

Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Dallas, Texas, United States of America=

Weatherbase: Historical Weather for Houston, Texas, United States of America=

Old 12-28-2009, 05:34 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Thanks, TXNGL, for mentioning that winter. As priceless as those memories are to me, this is the first I'd thought about them in a very long time.[/quote]

You're so welcome! I was telling my daughter all about that great snowfall the other day, and I didn't even have to exaggerate! LOL. My father was raised in Chicago, so he taught us how to build a big snow fort. We worked on it all afternoon and then had a huge snowball fight that evening. So great!

Old 12-28-2009, 06:50 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,475,771 times
More snow is on the way for tomorrow (the experts say) and we're just one week into winter.

Wonder how that global warming stuff is working out for the mad scientists?

Old 12-29-2009, 09:49 AM

2,987 posts, read 10,137,667 times
Looks like it's time to dust off this old thread LOL. Have you seen the radar? There is a lot of snow on our doorstep, I bet rush hour will be horrible today.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:52 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
And I've got to head to the store. URGH!!!!! At least people have gotten better about making runs on the store when it looks like bad weather is coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas