Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 03:23 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doorup View Post
Oak cliff is the only place in the Dallas Fort Worth area Ive seen a guy come into a 7-11, oh sorry OC don't got no 7-11. Some quik stop I stoped in to get a drink after dark some guy runs in and says Ive been shot, everyone stops and stares at him he holds his hand up and he's got a bullet hole in it and says my buddy's in the car and he's been shot to. I put my **** down and leave, I'm not gonna stay to see if someone is gonna come in and finish him. Outside a guy is laying in the parking lot with a bunch of people standing around him. I got in my truck and got the hell out of there! I'm a door repair tech and had been called out to OC for an emergency late door repair, that was the last time I went to OC for a job period. That's why you cant get a service or repair man to come out unless he lives there.
Yes, I'd be terrified to visit these properties Oak Cliff Real Estate | Oak Cliff Homes for Sale. Problem is that some people don't actually recognize the boundaries of Oak Cliff and think when they are in other areas (certain areas around South Dallas, for instance) it's "Oak Cliff". West Dallas? Some truly scary areas there, but to some it's "Oak Cliff". OC "don't got no 7-11"? LOL.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:12 AM

1,783 posts, read 2,572,779 times
Under the old system of at-large City Council seats — members didn’t exclusively represent single districts until the 1990s — South Dallas and South Oak Cliff lacked political leadership. Few in power pulled for those neighborhoods, and for decades they were neglected.

“The west side of Oak Cliff is flourishing in a way that is not happening on the east side of I-35,” Kyle says.

High crime and low economic success on the east side of I-35 made it important to those on the west side to distinguish between Oak Cliff and South Oak Cliff, constructing a definition of “south” that was more than geographical. Much like the South Bronx is defined more by demographics than geography, describing a neighborhood as “South Oak Cliff” sometimes can serve as code to indicate that it is in the “bad part” of Oak Cliff, rather than where it is on the map.

Where is Oak Cliff? The geographic boundaries are debatable. - Oak Cliff

Old 10-13-2016, 06:14 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,328,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
Quite true. McKinney and Cole around Knox were kinda ghetto. State Thomas was ghetto too - most of the original homes have been replaced by new multi-story buildings.
That't BS. I spent many many enjoyable hours in the late 70s in that area. It was not all spiffy and high end but it certainly was not "ghetto" whatever that means. Real Dallasites will remember, for example:

The Quiet Man pub
Skillern's drugstore
The Army/Navy store, which was replaced by Half Price books (was this their first, or second location?)
Peaches Records and Tapes
Joe Miller's bar
Queen of Sheba Ethiopian restaurant

State-Thomas was a working class black neighborhood. Nothing fancy, but I would not have been terrified to walk through.

Old 10-13-2016, 06:43 AM

185 posts, read 169,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow pool of piddle View Post
The affirmative action equality based education system of DISD vomits these criminals into society. The students would be better off and less likely to be criminals if they didn't attend school. Indeed, total ignoance would be preferrable.

Everyone knows this. The teachers shake their heads about it. The police officers shake their heads as well.
You are certainly living up to your moniker with that comment.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:51 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,106,346 times
Moderator Note: Sometimes a six year old thread which hasn't had any activity since 2012 should be put to rest permanently. Thread Closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas