Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2010, 02:05 PM

5 posts, read 11,666 times

Advertisements

Hello! I'm a new member of this forum but have been reading the boards for some time now. This board in particular seems to be quite helpful in providing insight to new arrivals, so I thought I would ask for some quick advice. To be brief:

Husband is attending Baylor Dental School at the Texas A&M Health Science Center; we are moving from OK this summer. We would like to live as close to the school as possible, but still need to feel very safe as I may be home nights on my own, etc. Our housing budget is probably 200K, and we need a house as we have two dogs and this limits our renting/apartment options (we are house people anyway). I'd like to move somewhere we can comfortably stay for 5-10 years. We'd love husband's commute to be as short as possible (definitely no more than 30 minutes!!) We don't have kids, so school districts are not a huge deal (even though I am a teacher and am in the process of switching my OK certification to TX - will apply for jobs soon).

Safety and commute for him are our two biggest needs, but some trees and newer construction would follow as being something we'd like (but can live without). If you have any input to help in our search, we would appreciate it so much! This is a big move for us and we are trying to stay positive and not get overwhelmed (easy to do). Thanks in advance - we're excited about making TX our home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 01:42 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,556,577 times
Well, to be honest, you are kind of a in a pickle. The school is near downtown, and for newer homes, you have to go North (I wouldn't go South). Plano, Allen, even Richardson are great areas, but the commute still isn't going to be fun since he'll be traveling south into the city.

Richardson is probably your best bet for buying a home under $200k and still being relatively close to the city. Not a lot of newer homes there though--some are renovated, though.

If you are willing to buy an older home, check out the areas near White Rock Lake. There are some older (like, pre-1950s homes) there that are adorable, and the area has a nice vibe. Anything under 200k is probably going to require at least a little renovation. You might hit something that's already been updated, but I think it is kind of unlikely. That being side, the drive to the Dental school from this area would be a breeze!

PS--I've spent the last 4 years in OK--great place to live. I'll miss it too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas