Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 02:57 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmom1 View Post
Not to my knowledge, ha-ha! But it was pretty cool to have a visit from him. Not everyone here is fond of the 'Bobcat' issue, but I feel we have moved in on their territory, so we have to just let them be. And keep our pets indoors when we are not supervising them, lol!
Excellent attitude! A thousand years ago when I was a kid (LOL), I lived in a house that backed up to a creek here in Dallas, just south of LBJ. We had bobcats, foxes, more than likely a coyote or two, plus all the smaller mammals local to this area. We never had any problems and were thrilled just to get a quick sighting or to find prints. I don't understand why some people get so feaked out in these newer suburbs because there are animals around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 03:03 PM

279 posts, read 1,163,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
frankly the people I know in San Antonio/Austin area who do have deer in their neighborhoods hate it--they are dangerous--hurting themselves and causing damage to landscaping and car accidents...

my sister who has good friend with home in Castle Hills area of San Antonio (acre size yd)--she has rock fence with metal spikes around the proterty line--more than once she has had deer impale themselves on the spikes--not pleasant for her to deal with, needless to mention the deer's pain...

Well sounds like your sister has more then a deer problem...

Old 01-16-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Austin has more native deer than Dallas because the deer population is very high in the Hill Country and Edwards Plateau area. You need to get a little way out of the DFW metro area to find deer. My parents live in Hunt County (just past Rockwall City Limits) and they have deer in their yard all the time. My mother gets REALLY annoyed because the deer eat her plants...so, be careful what you wish for!
Then I guess your mother should move.....I wish for it b/c I want it, if I wanted to grow plants then i'd put the mesh around and over them so they grow like everyone else does here in Austin which i'm sure would work in Dallas as well.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Excellent attitude! A thousand years ago when I was a kid (LOL), I lived in a house that backed up to a creek here in Dallas, just south of LBJ. We had bobcats, foxes, more than likely a coyote or two, plus all the smaller mammals local to this area. We never had any problems and were thrilled just to get a quick sighting or to find prints. I don't understand why some people get so feaked out in these newer suburbs because there are animals around.

Sounds great....would be cool to see this every now and then too I think. NJ has bears and deer and deer here in Austin and Coyotes too...I think you live here for the scenery and some wildlife comes with it. Those who hate should move away and not be so down

Old 01-16-2010, 03:35 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasboi View Post
Sounds great....would be cool to see this every now and then too I think. NJ has bears and deer and deer here in Austin and Coyotes too...I think you live here for the scenery and some wildlife comes with it. Those who hate should move away and not be so down
No deer around here though. Like other's have said, you have to be pretty far out.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:46 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
frankly the people I know in San Antonio/Austin area who do have deer in their neighborhoods hate it--they are dangerous--hurting themselves and causing damage to landscaping and car accidents...
Where I live there are tons of deer,they are often in my front and back yard... and I certainly don't hate it. Yes, they will eat lots of plants, but there are plenty of well-known deer resistant plants that people use here for landscaping. Deer can be a hazard when driving (and biking!), for sure... but you learn to be careful. I personally enjoy looking at them, but if you wanted a vegetable garden or something, I could see the annoyance.

Old 01-16-2010, 07:26 PM

2,185 posts, read 5,014,713 times
No deer, but we have bobcats. Good luck if your cat gets out! We found one on our front yard one morning, looked like a big animal got to him.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Where I live there are tons of deer,they are often in my front and back yard... and I certainly don't hate it. Yes, they will eat lots of plants, but there are plenty of well-known deer resistant plants that people use here for landscaping. Deer can be a hazard when driving (and biking!), for sure... but you learn to be careful. I personally enjoy looking at them, but if you wanted a vegetable garden or something, I could see the annoyance.
Where do you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas