Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2007, 10:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,678 times

Advertisements

I know these types of posts get old, but I could really use some guidance in where to start my search.

I am 22 years old, single and work in Las Colinas (Macarthur at 635). I would like to by a house in the area. What makes this interesting is that based on my criteria, it seems like it becomes a challenge to find the best location for me to buy. I know the basics, but are there any specific locations to try/avoid?

1. I'd like to be close to nightlife in Dallas, but don't need to be in walking distance necessarily.

2. I'd like a decent sized house for the money. Buying in an old neighborhood vs. something larger for the same price isn't attractive to me. I'd like to have a deck and a yard and a fairly new house.

3. Of course, not being too far from work is a plus too.

4. Decent chance for some good appreciation.

I'm looking to spend approx $300k. I know I can satisfy my needs for less, but what is the best I can do for $300k?
I know this is just a start for me, but are there any unique ideas or developments to consider? Thanks a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 05:36 AM

709 posts, read 3,474,146 times
If you work in the Las Colinas area why not look at townhomes located off MacArthur and Kinwest just off LBJ. They may be a little bit more in price but you wouldn't have to worry about a yard if you are still into nightlife etc.

Also, LaVillita might be an area to check into.

I wouldn't rule out some of the preowned homes in the Valley Ranch Area. You might be able to find one in your price range.

Last edited by sonshinelife; 05-29-2007 at 05:41 AM.. Reason: spelling/revising

Old 05-30-2007, 02:36 PM

6 posts, read 26,769 times
I second the Valley Ranch idea...a friend of mine had a house there when she was single and absolutely loved it! Of course, this was also back in the Cowboy heydeys there and a lot of partyin' was going on. I don't know if that's still true.

I work downtown and drive through Uptown quite a lot, too - it's a drive to Las Colinas, but there is quite a lot of new build happening - worth looking into.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:48 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Don't forget the DART line will open up to Las Colinas in what, 2-3 years? You can live in close, say Uptown/Victory/Downtown (where the action is) and take the train.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:36 PM

709 posts, read 3,474,146 times
Good point... about the DART Line. I have several friends that have bought in the uptown area and seem to like it however they do dread the drive to work in Valley Ranch. Until the DART Line is established this may be something to consider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: