Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 04:23 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times

Advertisements

Grainraiser,

I'm not bashing Quinlan because of it's rural feel. It's because it is the number one place on the list of crappy schools. Right behind Wilmer Hutchins until they were dissolved so they moved up.

If the OP had wanted a rural feel there are numerous other choices they could have that would suit their needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 05:55 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,877,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphyPl1 View Post
Grainraiser,
I'm not bashing Quinlan because of it's rural feel. It's because it is the number one place on the list of crappy schools. Right behind Wilmer Hutchins until they were dissolved so they moved up.
If the OP had wanted a rural feel there are numerous other choices they could have that would suit their needs.

Agreed. I have firsthand experience and know many people down there in Quinlan and the vicinity. I'm also very in tune with many other "rural" areas of Texas and there are MUCH better areas to raise a family than Quinlan. My kids are familiar w/ Quinlan as well and trust me........... they would run away if we moved them down there. Not because they don't like the area but the schools would be the main issue for both of them. They love being down there for the rural part and "getting away" but the schools would be a HUGE downer for them. They know the kids that live around our lakehouse and it is a totally different mindset.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:19 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,155 times
" you might want to check out Boles ISD. It is a small district that surrounded on all sides by Quinlan ISD (Texas school district maps can be found here). Boles is unique in that only a small number of students actually live within the school district's official boundaries. The majority of its 500 or so students come from other communities in the area."

How could Boles ISD be recommnded as the school of choice for that area? It serves primarily the children in Bole's Children's Home which is on the campus. I admire teachers who choose to teach there, but it is difficult to run a quality school when the students are constantly transferring in and out, have been in a number of other schools before they come there and have lived in difficult circumstances most of their lives. The school serves a need but it's not a place that I would move to with the hope of giving my child the best possible education.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:38 PM

5 posts, read 12,792 times
I appreciate all of the input about Quinlan. We are looking for a more rural feel, we don't like being in the middle of town. We don't want to be completely secluded, but at least 1 or 2 acres is good for us. The kids have four wheelers, etc. My number one priority is the education of my children. So we have decided against Quinlan schools. Some of you have mentioned other rural areas, can you please tell me which ones? We have been checking into Weatherford. Someone commented about the "horse people", I'm not quite sure what tone was meant by that. Are the people snooty? We are planning on coming down in mid to late March to look around, so please continue to provide input.

Thank you again for your help!

Old 02-15-2010, 06:49 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,105,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GayleTX View Post
" you might want to check out Boles ISD. It is a small district that surrounded on all sides by Quinlan ISD (Texas school district maps can be found here). Boles is unique in that only a small number of students actually live within the school district's official boundaries. The majority of its 500 or so students come from other communities in the area."
How could Boles ISD be recommnded as the school of choice for that area? It serves primarily the children in Bole's Children's Home which is on the campus. I admire teachers who choose to teach there, but it is difficult to run a quality school when the students are constantly transferring in and out, have been in a number of other schools before they come there and have lived in difficult circumstances most of their lives. The school serves a need but it's not a place that I would move to with the hope of giving my child the best possible education.
I was only trying to help by recommending a possible alternative.

Old 02-15-2010, 07:48 PM

11,856 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltshouse View Post
We have been checking into Weatherford. Someone commented about the "horse people", I'm not quite sure what tone was meant by that. Are the people snooty?
Weatherford has a LOT of Cutting Horse ranches. This isn't a bad thing! it is a cute town with a very western/cowboy feel, and only 30 minutes from Fort Worth for shopping, doctors, etc. I love to go to the Parker County Peach Festival each summer. Yum!

Good that you decided against Quinlan. A wise choice IMHO!

Old 05-21-2010, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,482 times
I livedin quinlan a few years ago,the people were very nice.i though it
was a great place to live.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,447 times
To all of you who say Quinlan ISD is so horrible. Have you ever attended the school? Do you have children attending the school? More than likely, NO! I graduated from Quinlan in 2007 in the top of my class. Quinlan has a great athletic program, and many clubs the school offers. It’s a very small school; my class had around 170 graduates. If you don’t like small towns, you will not like Quinlan. The school counselor is very helpful and motivating with college applications. I do believe a few schools in Dallas are Academically Unacceptable. There is one on the verge of shutting down because teachers helped children cheat on the TAKS test.

For the corporal punishment comment, you have to sign a form just like every other school in Texas if your child can have "swats". When I was in school, which was only 3 years ago, they rarely gave swats. Most of the kids who have behavior problems came from Dallas.

Dairy Queen is not the best restaurant in town. We have Taco Mayo, McDonalds, Subway, Sonic, Popeye’s Chicken, Oasis Mexican Restaurant, Luigis Italian Restaurant, Monroy’s Mexican Restaurant, Hong Kong Buffet, and a few others. That’s a pretty big selection in my opinion. We also have a Wal-Mart, Brookshire’s, Family Dollar, and Dollar General.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:01 PM

3,820 posts, read 8,747,540 times
Did you really mean to imply that Subway, Sonic, Popeyes and McDonalds are nicer than DQ?

And no I didn't attend the school and there is NO WAY I would let my kid attend after hearing from coworkers about the school system.

And I certainly won't consider DISD bashing to be a great way to compare your school district.

Old 08-03-2010, 04:22 PM

1 posts, read 1,371 times
I have lived in Quinlan 21 yrs. . Came here from Dallas. I raised my kids here and was a stay at home mom. If I had it to over again I would have pick somewhere else. There are no jobs , no recreation for children , not anything here to do but fish. Quinlan has become a very boring place to be and most kids turn to drugs or the Army to get out of here. I was lucky mine chose Texas A & M in Commerce to get out of here. They hate even coming back to this town. It is a very depressed town. Sad but TRUE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas