Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 05:15 AM
Bee Bee started this thread

7 posts, read 96,330 times

Advertisements

I searched and can't find an answer to this for Dallas area:

What are the poisonous snakes, reptiles, insects, etc., to be aware of in the Dallas area? And do they pose any actual problem to normal everyday living if you're not out herding cattle or such?

We live in Southern California now where there are rattlesnakes and black widow spiders, but I have honestly never seen either, and there are coyotes and mountain lions, but I have only seen one each of those and it was at a distance. I am wondering if it will pretty much be the same in Texas?

Thanks all for any helpful info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2006, 07:36 AM

14 posts, read 29,250 times
Unless you live in the sticks none of those are a problem. Most of the poisonous snakes such as the rattlers are in Western Texas. To find them anywhere around here you really need to be out in the *wilderness* lol I have never had a problem with either. All areas of the country have their own *critters* so to speak but as for them being a problem as for everyday normal life here in the DFW area, they are not.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:05 PM
Bee Bee started this thread

7 posts, read 96,330 times
Thanks RELOCATE, I sort of suspected the same, and totally agree, every area of the country has its natural problems.

Do you think "acreage" would be a problem area. I've seen several online where you get 1-3 acres, but you are still in a subdivision type environment. Am currently investigating Granbury.

Old 11-01-2006, 08:13 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,145,060 times
Granbury's out there a bit. From driving through it appears to be a small town, without much in the way for shopping. (As in, I don't think they even have a Wal-Mart.) There are some good mom and pop restaurants, including a BBQ place across 67 from the rodeo/expo center, but no chains outside of fast food.

Old 11-12-2006, 03:25 PM

5 posts, read 51,527 times
Default Westexdream

I have moved here recently from west texas and have been looking for a permanent home around the dallas/ft worth area but Not in the city. I have found that everything North of Dallas and Fort Worth are very very busy. Lots of traffic. I am leaning towards Granbury myself. We went there yesterday and the real estate office was across the street from a Walmart so yes they have one and have Everything you would need right there in a Beautiful Clean town plus a lake. It won't be hard to get 1 to 3 acres and more if you have the money. The town is actually busier than I wanted but I can live with it. It is over an hour from Dallas so if you need to get there quick that wouldn't be the best place. Granbury is our pick from looking around here for a few months but we don't work in Dallas or Fort Worth so that helps. Good Luck!

Old 11-17-2006, 09:44 PM

485 posts, read 1,648,013 times
Bee - Like Relocate said, you don't need to worry about rattlesnakes in the Metroplex. I live in a distant suburb of the Metroplex and we occasionally see chicken snakes during the late Spring and summer months. However, black widows aren't that rare. We see them several times a year. Of course they aren't as common as the brown recluse, but they are here. I've never known anyone that got bitten by a black widow, but I know many people that have been bitten by a brown recluse. With that said, I must say that Texas is a very safe place to live. You needn't worry about the critters.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:00 PM

18 posts, read 143,534 times
Hi, what about scorpions ?

Old 04-10-2007, 08:45 PM

170 posts, read 846,995 times
I see coyotes every now and then up in Allen during the night when I go visit my in laws. I don't think they are dangerous to anyone who is not poultry, however.

As for dangerous, I'm not a naturalist or zoologist so my expertise here is limited. However I can tell you that such dangerous animals like rattle-snakes and others are virtually non-existent within the city limits.

There are snakes that will bite you and hurt you in and around creeks. I grew up in a house out in Euless that had a creek running through our backyard. I spent much of my childhood exploring that creek and I encountered MANY snakes, turtles, insects, frogs, etc.....

If any of them were dangerous, I don't know. But I do know that in the summer time the insects around here will eat you alive if you do not coat yourself a couple of times in bug spray. They are not deadly, just annoying.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:47 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,428,860 times
This is a city people. I heard the wild animals and poisonous snake stories as well before I moved here. TO be honest, I've yet to even see many bugs, let alone reptiles. I do see alot of those evil looking blackbirds (Crackaw?) that travelby the thousands and hide in the trees and duty on your car, but that's it.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:53 PM

170 posts, read 846,995 times
Don't forget those nasty pigeons. I have actually seen quite a few spiders here in my new home...but none that were dangerous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas