Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 07:41 AM

26 posts, read 64,331 times

Advertisements

Well, we got the word yesterday. It's no longer "planning" on making the move, it's now "officially" making the move! The hubby will be heading out early August! It's going to be a long road ahead, tying up loose ends, and adjusting to our new home, once we get it! Very much looking forward to it! Wish us luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 07:54 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
How exciting! Congrats! Where are you moving from and will you join your husband in August? My husband's been at work in Dallas since January, the kids and I will be joining him in July.

Old 06-07-2007, 12:50 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
Welcome to Big D, y'all!

Old 06-07-2007, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulf5driver View Post
How exciting! Congrats! Where are you moving from and will you join your husband in August? My husband's been at work in Dallas since January, the kids and I will be joining him in July.
Thanks gulf5driver! Unfortunately no, I will not be joining my husband for a while, though I'm sure he and I will take turns commuting on the occasional weekends in the meantime. Have to finish the repairs we started, touch up the paint and put the house up for sale. Leaving Florida, where I've lived for over 40 years! It will be a much needed and welcome change, I can tell you that!

Old 06-07-2007, 04:22 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,762,286 times
Small world, I'm moving from FL - the Tampa area. I love it here - but am excited about the move to the Big D.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:42 PM

16 posts, read 62,264 times
Default Found a house yet?

If you haven't ... I have moved a lot over the years for work but the Dallas area is my home town. Having moved so many times, we finally learned to just get an apartment and put our stuff in storage for three-six months so we can check out areas and get to know our new home a bit before we commit. It is a terrible pain to have most of your stuff in storage but if you find a place sooner you can always buy your way out of your lease. So many of the areas around Lew are great but they are all very different in personality as well as price. When I moved to Altanta a friend who already lived here told me taxes and commute in a particular burb were terrible but later I found out that "terrible" to him was $650.00 per year on his house and a 20 min commute. I have had much better success getting to know the area from an apartment or short-term corporate housing (it often comes furnished) and have been much more satisfied with my choices. It is hard to get all the information you need to make a decision from 2nd or 3rd hand info! Good luck

Last edited by bsnyder98; 06-07-2007 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 06-07-2007, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnyder98 View Post
If you haven't ... I have moved a lot over the years for work but the Dallas area is my home town. Having moved so many times, we finally learned to just get an apartment and put our stuff in storage for three-six months so we can check out areas and get to know our new home a bit before we commit. It is a terrible pain to have most of your stuff in storage but if you find a place sooner you can always buy your way out of your lease. So many of the areas around Lew are great but they are all very different in personality as well as price. When I moved to Altanta a friend who already lived here told me taxes and commute in a particular burb were terrible but later I found out that "terrible" to him was $650.00 per year on his house and a 20 min commute. I have had much better success getting to know the area from an apartment or short-term corporate housing (it often comes furnished) and have been much more satisfied with my choices. It is hard to get all the information you need to make a decision from 2nd or 3rd hand info! Good luck
Thanks for all the advice bsnyder98! We haven't ever moved without already having bought another home, so this will be a first for us. My husband will be having to lease a furnished apartment for a while, and I've noticed some of the leases are not limited to a minimum of 12 months. Some are for 6,7, or 9 months, so that is a plus, but it is a little more difficult to find furnished. We will be putting things in storage, as you suggested, and it will likely stay there, or in one of those PODS, till we can find where we're going lay down roots. As things get closer I'm sure I'll be asking, no, BEGGING for any suggestions and advice!

Old 06-11-2007, 06:50 PM

258 posts, read 1,176,269 times
Congrats on your move to Dallas, I'm moving next month.. talk about scary and exciting

Old 06-12-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie_rachel View Post
Congrats on your move to Dallas, I'm moving next month.. talk about scary and exciting
Yes, very!

Not to change the subject in "my own thread" (LOL) but has anyone heard of a development/place by the name of Timarron or Cimarron in the McKinney area?
I just found out a cousin of mine and his family are moving to McKinney and have bought a house there. Wondered if anyone here knew anything about it. Thanks!

Old 06-12-2007, 06:58 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,432,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow rose View Post
Yes, very!

Not to change the subject in "my own thread" (LOL) but has anyone heard of a development/place by the name of Timarron or Cimarron in the McKinney area?
I just found out a cousin of mine and his family are moving to McKinney and have bought a house there. Wondered if anyone here knew anything about it. Thanks!
Timarron (Southlake) and Cimarron (McAllen) are country clubs, but I'm not aware of any communities in Mckinney with these names. There are some gated communities in Stonebridge I've never been inside of, it may be one of those. What did he pay ? If 600k and up, that's probably the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas