Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 01:59 PM

164 posts, read 502,352 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone move from Vancouver to Texas other than for economics?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 11:40 AM
zox

344 posts, read 479,104 times
I didn't notice much difference between the summers in Austin and Dallas. Dallas definitely feels colder than Austin in the winter. Otherwise, I don't think it's fair to compare Austin to Dallas. Dallas is much larger and offers far more amenities. Austin is much smaller. I don't understand how Austin developed it's reputation. It's a nice city but it seems like a glorified college town with some industry. But it's nothing compared to Dallas in my opinion. Dallas is a world class city that is ahead of Austin but for whatever reason, it lacks the trendy vibe that Austin has outside of Texas. When you talk to people outside of Texas, Austin seems to get a lot of recognition. I don't know why. I'm guessing Austin is recognized because it is the only liberal/left wing city in Texas.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:32 PM

1,172 posts, read 2,633,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zox View Post
I didn't notice much difference between the summers in Austin and Dallas. Dallas definitely feels colder than Austin in the winter. Otherwise, I don't think it's fair to compare Austin to Dallas. Dallas is much larger and offers far more amenities. Austin is much smaller. I don't understand how Austin developed it's reputation. It's a nice city but it seems like a glorified college town with some industry. But it's nothing compared to Dallas in my opinion. Dallas is a world class city that is ahead of Austin but for whatever reason, it lacks the trendy vibe that Austin has outside of Texas. When you talk to people outside of Texas, Austin seems to get a lot of recognition. I don't know why. I'm guessing Austin is recognized because it is the only liberal/left wing city in Texas.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I feel Dallas has 10x more going on than Austin. More Jobs, shopping, restaurants, pro teams, jobs, etc. The list goes on and on.

Austin is pretty and outdoorsy and a bit unique for TX, but is very limited. Traffic is amazing awful! People are weird there(this is their claim to fame too) a bit hippy'ish. I'm not sure where it gets its great reputation either. I have had several people tell me how much they love it there.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:44 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,148,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northlakemetro View Post
Why would anyone move from Vancouver to Texas other than for economics?
Well I've never been to Vancouver, Washington, before, but if you were talking about Vancouver, BC, I'd probably wonder the same thing.

In any case, it comes down to what you want and I think most of the posters summed it up pretty nicely.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:05 PM

168 posts, read 573,653 times
ufcrules1 and zox, let me take a very contrary point of view. This is from someone who lives and is happy in the Dallas area. Let me tell you what I think that the charm is for many people re: Austin. It is the topography (hills, trees, lakes) and the hill country culture. Those are two things Dallas just does not have. As you are driving your car in Dallas on any given street, you could largely be in Houston, or St. Louis, or any other big city. Austin has a UT/Shiner Bock Beer/Harley Davidson/Willie Nelson/Tech Industry smorgasboard thing going on that makes it very fun/interesting. I travel a lot for work, and the people I come across from other states who have been to both Dallas AND Austin much prefer Austin. Its a lot like some areas of California.

Would I want to live there, no...why? Traffic, too collegey of a feel, schools not as good compared to Dallas, too liberal for me personally, etc. But it is a very gorgeous and cool town...my 1st choice for a second home/weekend cabin setup would be somewhere just west/northwest of Austin. I think of it more as a long weekend or vacation getaway destination. Do you think that anyone sees Dallas that way?

Old 03-13-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrichel View Post
ufcrules1 and zox, let me take a very contrary point of view. This is from someone who lives and is happy in the Dallas area. Let me tell you what I think that the charm is for many people re: Austin. It is the topography (hills, trees, lakes) and the hill country culture. Those are two things Dallas just does not have. As you are driving your car in Dallas on any given street, you could largely be in Houston, or St. Louis, or any other big city. Austin has a UT/Shiner Bock Beer/Harley Davidson/Willie Nelson/Tech Industry smorgasboard thing going on that makes it very fun/interesting. I travel a lot for work, and the people I come across from other states who have been to both Dallas AND Austin much prefer Austin. Its a lot like some areas of California.

Would I want to live there, no...why? Traffic, too collegey of a feel, schools not as good compared to Dallas, too liberal for me personally, etc. But it is a very gorgeous and cool town...my 1st choice for a second home/weekend cabin setup would be somewhere just west/northwest of Austin. I think of it more as a long weekend or vacation getaway destination. Do you think that anyone sees Dallas that way?
Yes, people love Austin. Even people who haven't been there. Weird, huh? No people probably don't think of Dallas in the way you discussed, but why would anyone who's looking for a city like Dallas want to? That's what cities like Austin are for and Dallas is a much larger city than Austin. Urban California/West Coast is much more connected with nature than most other urban cities in the US, and naturally have interwoven their infrastructure in with those elements. Even so, in my book, "big city" and "getaway" are antonyms.While very dense urban cities like NYC, Chicago, Boston and Philadelphia have some natural elements to them, I doubt most people would think of those cities as places as "getaways." My personal answer to your question is "no," but people see things differently. In most cases though, if you're looking for a getaway, you're going to be looking outside of most city propers in the US.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:35 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Austin is more of a communist city. You see very little difference of opinions. You are forced to agree with everybody or face social isolation. Which is creepy as hell. The definition of liberal no longer means progressive. It means collectivism. In all my time in Austin I never saw one single hippy. I'm glad because I am not a fan of the hippy movement. Every where I went I had bad customer service. Quality of food is mediocre at best. Supervisors were always ignorant and slow to respond. Sleazy office people. If you want to see decadence and debauchery take a walk down 6th street. Terrible city.

Dallas has extremely liberal areas. Exposition park, Deep Ellum, W Hotel, Dragon street, commerce street, main street, McKinney street, Oaklawn Gayborhood, Bishops Arts District in Oak Cliff, The Cedars arts area, Greenville Avenue, and on and on. UT-Dallas has more diversity, more land, and higher SAT scores. Dallas has its share of snobs though. But I saw arrogant snobs on a daily basis in Austin because UT Austin is supposed to be the greatest. Which it isn't.

Quote:

Last edited by artsyguy; 03-13-2010 at 02:52 PM..

Old 03-13-2010, 02:42 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Turner falls in Oklahoma is only 1.5 hour drive up from Dallas. The mountains there are more interesting than anything in Austin.

Dallas seems more west coast than Austin IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Yes, people love Austin. Even people who haven't been there. Weird, huh? No people probably don't think of Dallas in the way you discussed, but why would anyone who's looking for a city like Dallas want to? That's what cities like Austin are for and Dallas is a much larger city than Austin. Urban California/West Coast is much more connected with nature than most other urban cities in the US, and naturally have interwoven their infrastructure in with those elements. Even so, in my book, "big city" and "getaway" are antonyms.While very dense urban cities like NYC, Chicago, Boston and Philadelphia have some natural elements to them, I doubt most people would think of those cities as places as "getaways." My personal answer to your question is "no," but people see things differently. In most cases though, if you're looking for a getaway, you're going to be looking outside of most city propers in the US.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:52 PM

168 posts, read 573,653 times
artsyguy, you are joking...right? "You see very little difference of opinions". That is a joke, yes? Austin is KNOWN for its diversity. Racial, gender, age, political, lifestyle, economic, etc.

Again, dont get me wrong folks...I am very happy in Dallas. But that is because its where I make my living and I have kids who I am schooling. If I was single, retired, no kids, or empty nester...I couldnt imagine any reason I (personally) would prefer to be in Dallas vs. Austin.

thesublime, I actually agree with most of your points. Dallas and Austin are so different, I am not sure why someone would even look to compare them. However, I DO think that NYC, Boston, SF, etc. are destination cities/getaways. Places people go to experience both the natural beauty and or the unique culture, history, etc. Same goes for Austin I think. Same cant be said of Dallas.

Old 03-13-2010, 06:11 PM

Quote:
artsyguy, you are joking...right? "You see very little difference of opinions". That is a joke, yes? Austin is KNOWN for its diversity. Racial, gender, age, political, lifestyle, economic, etc.

Again, dont get me wrong folks...I am very happy in Dallas. But that is because its where I make my living and I have kids who I am schooling. If I was single, retired, no kids, or empty nester...I couldnt imagine any reason I (personally) would prefer to be in Dallas vs. Austin.

thesublime, I actually agree with most of your points. Dallas and Austin are so different, I am not sure why someone would even look to compare them. However, I DO think that NYC, Boston, SF, etc. are destination cities/getaways. Places people go to experience both the natural beauty and or the unique culture, history, etc. Same goes for Austin I think. Same cant be said of Dallas.
They're places you go for vacation, but they're hardly places to getaway from the rat race and for the most part enjoy nature. A vacation destination does not necessarily equal a getaway destination, in my opinion. NYC, Boston, Chicago, like I said, have natural elements, but they're obscured by their cityscapes, foremost their largest drawing point.

Also, I don't particularly agree with artsyguy, but I do agree that if you're coming from a big city, most of the food in Austin will probably be fairly unspectacular. I don't know many that would say Austin it's known for its racial/ethnic diversity, either, (that's where the larger cities, like Dallas, come in). I think it's biggest drawing points are its professed "weird" lifestyle, university and to a lesser extent its economic and political prowess and only moderately when compared to cities outside of Texas. If that's what you're looking for, Austin is right up your alley.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 03-13-2010 at 06:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas