Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 10:55 AM

5 posts, read 30,839 times

Advertisements

Would like to get some views about buying a house on a corner lot.

What are the pros and cons?

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2007, 11:18 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
None really. Unless it is the corner lot right backed to a main street and right at the main entrance. Although the one right at the corner in our neighborhood sold REALLY fast. Some have extra large lots. Be sure to position the house so that you get the maximum yard usage and don't built the smallest house in the neighborhood. Sometimes you can have a side entry garage vs a rear or front entry. Depending on how the house is laid out you can sometimes have two yards w/ a large enough corner lot.

Something I've noticed though that is aggravating. Why is it the worst kept yard the one right at the entrance or on a corner in a subdivision and this does not matter if it is an upscale or a low income neighborhood. But then there are the ones that have a KILLER AWESOME yard and have really done a great job w/ all of their yard being on a corner.

Old 01-18-2007, 06:45 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,431,568 times
Corner lots are usually wider and deeper and carry a 15k premium when buying new. The only problem I've ever ran across is I really liked a certain one story that only fit on a large corner lot because it had the width - however, the plan had about 13 windows on one side, so once on the corner, those 13 windows were facing due west. We all know what I think of facing due west. Other plans with less windos would have worked fine....in fact, the lot is still available.....

Old 01-19-2007, 08:57 AM

549 posts, read 2,194,440 times
Anyone know what an Interior lot is and why they are more money?

Old 01-19-2007, 10:10 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY - Dallas View Post
Anyone know what an Interior lot is and why they are more money?
The exterior lots are the ones on the perimeter of the subdivision. They may back up to retail development or a busy street. A masonary wall will usually seperate the neighborhood from the retail and street. In these cases an interior lot is preferred and does cost more than an exterior lot. In cases where the exterior lots of the subdivision/development back up to a golf course, park, greenbelt, etc those are a premium and will cost more.

Old 01-19-2007, 10:39 AM

549 posts, read 2,194,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
The exterior lots are the ones on the perimeter of the subdivision. They may back up to retail development or a busy street. A masonary wall will usually seperate the neighborhood from the retail and street. In these cases an interior lot is preferred and does cost more than an exterior lot. In cases where the exterior lots of the subdivision/development back up to a golf course, park, greenbelt, etc those are a premium and will cost more.
Thank you for the info

Old 03-22-2010, 12:01 PM

1 posts, read 12,216 times
My husband and I just purchased a lot in a new neighborhood. This neighborhood only had 4 lots left. Three of them were corner lots and one was not. We chose the one that was not on the corner. I think the very fact that the majority of lots left were corner lots speaks to their popularity.

Old 03-22-2010, 02:45 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
this thread was from 07--

Old 03-22-2010, 04:41 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,032,189 times
I wish I would have selected a corner lot when I built my house. You get a much larger yard to work with. Someone else purchased the lot I wanted and the only concern is replacing the fence is going to be really expensive.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:14 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,972 times
Since this thread has been restarted,I'll offer my 2 cents worth.I would always prefer a corner lot unless the side street of the house was a very busy street,for at least 3 reasons.One,in newer developments it seems you usually have more yard on the street side.Two,you have no neighbors on one side,so no barking dogs in the backyard,no dummazz yard people blowing the next door neighbor's grass clipping in front of your house from that side,and all the other benefits that bad neighbors offer if one ends up beside you.Three,you can put your garage on the side and do more with the front of your house if you are building,as we did,at least if you are in a neighborhood without alleys,as many of the new developments seem to be.Four,more landscaping options,since you have a corner at the street to get inventive with without asking your neighbors for their approval.Some things that work on a corner garden don't work if it just ends at your neighbors prop line on his lawn.Five,if you build your m bed on the corner side,then you don't have to hear the neighbors car pulling into the driveway when you are asleep in bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas