Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 12:23 PM

756 posts, read 2,278,645 times

Advertisements

Here's a map of the area I'm talking about: 3911 cedar springs road, dallas, tx - Google Maps

The address I've used for reference is S4, a huge (fun!) gay dance club. That stretch of Cedar Springs is the heart of the gayborhood, with fun restaurants, bars, cafes, etc. If you center your apartment hunt around there, you will be in a nice, safe neighborhood with plenty to do and plenty of friends to make. I'm not gay, but I live right down the street (on Turtle Creek) and love the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 12:32 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,516,646 times
I have no idea what the rents are, but there is a new building on the Cedar Springs strip called Ilume. It's a very large building with security and controlled access parking. You might call them to check out their rental rates and be sure to ask about any incentives that they might have going on right now. Ilume In Cedar Springs on the Strip - a PROUD communityâ„¢

Old 04-03-2010, 07:32 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Post #4, Lincoln Court. 3 blocks to gaydom. There's much new construction in the area. You may just need to drive around and decide what works for you. As an above poster said, drive around north Oak Lawn... Hawthorne, Herschel and Prescott streets and Bowser and Holland. There's some older apartments up there.

Really depends on how far you want to walk and/or drive from your front door to the Crossroads. You're really not gonna know what you can get until you start making the calls.

Looks like the Ilume is going to be pretty high dollar, great for the 'hood. Also looks like the block that used to be the grocery (I forget the name) across from Kroger. That'll be a great view for Pride parade.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:19 PM

8 posts, read 35,598 times
I've been told that I should look into the Las Colinas/Valley Ranch area. Does anyone know that area and where I should look? It is closer to my work as well. What areas are safe there?

Old 04-07-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soupchef View Post
I've been told that I should look into the Las Colinas/Valley Ranch area. Does anyone know that area and where I should look? It is closer to my work as well. What areas are safe there?
No, no night life whatsoever in that area. Mostly families with young kids. Whoever told you that doesn't know Dallas.

Also, I understand you're concerned about safety, but don't think that EVERY neighborhood except a select few is filled with gangbangers and drugs - that's not the case. Most of D/FW is fairly safe, as long as you're not in deep South Dallas or over by Como in Fort Worth.

Old 04-07-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loratliff View Post
No, no night life whatsoever in that area. Mostly families with young kids. Whoever told you that doesn't know Dallas.

Also, I understand you're concerned about safety, but don't think that EVERY neighborhood except a select few is filled with gangbangers and drugs - that's not the case. Most of D/FW is fairly safe, as long as you're not in deep South Dallas or over by Como in Fort Worth.
So, I'm still doing research, because I don't have the opportunity to visit the city just yet, but there's a cedar springs road and then there are apartments that have cedar springs in the name. Are those the same places I should avoid?

Old 04-07-2010, 06:34 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
You'll need to reference a street map while checking out properties. You can do that with a Google map. On the map page enter a search for the zip code > 75219. This is, principally, Oak Lawn. The area encompasses from Maple St on the west, as far north as Love Field Airport, the northern boundary is Highland Park, the east boundary is Turtle Creek (or Preston Ave which is the same as Oak Lawn Ave), back to Maple. Between Turtle Creek and highway US75 is Uptown, which along with Oak Lawn is the area you want to look in.

Just because Oak Lawn is referred to as the gay area doesn't mean you won't find gay boys in Uptown. Just because Uptown is more young upwardly moving professionals doesn't mean you won't find them in Oak Lawn. Just think of the whole area as trendy. You're not going to find a particular cess pool or game room or something and say Eureka. The only gay central is the Crossroad, where the bars are - Cedar Springs at Throckmorton. And Halloween and Mardi Gras and Gay Pride parades.

In the area I described, you may not prefer - or may not be as safe - in the area between Maple Ave and Cedar Spring Road... with some exceptions. There are plenty of gay residences and apartments in that area, it is in a period of redevelopment. New construction would probly be safe, old apartments probly should be avoided. Although there is new construction there is still some low income and questionable activity, including drugs.

The area between Cedar Springs and Lemmon is the thicket of the gay area, full of apartments, condos, townhomes and a few houses. The construction ranges from old (20 - 30 years or more) to new. This is a relatively safe area and you'll find all the friends you can handle in one night. It is also the area where you'll find Lincoln Court, as in Post #4. Have you checked that link or made a call?

Next, between Lemmon and Highland Park (see map) is North Oak Lawn, the most preferred area and safest and also chock full of ...more boyz. Houses, apartments, condos, townhouses, duplexes. If you can't find it here then you'll need to head for New York City.

The name Cedar Springs may be found in most any apartment from near downtown to Love Field. Once Cedar Springs crosses Turtle Creek it heads towards downtown and is the same road as Turtle Creek Blvd. You probly do NOT want to consider an Oak Lawn residence anywhere that might be north and west (northwest) of the Toll Road though some places might be acceptable it may put you in an area you don't prefer.

So, to answer your question, you'll need to look at the map, check the address and find on that map. Don't limit your options by insisting on """Oak Lawn""". When it comes to Halloween or Mardi Gras or Saturday nites you'll find that most of the boyz show up in cars parked along the streets. They don't live in Oak Lawn.

If a name includes 'Cedar Springs' you're probly in the neighborhood. Check the map.

Old 04-09-2010, 10:40 PM

Hey, so I have someone looking for apartments or condos for me until I can actually physically go looking at them myself and some of the suggestions have been the Illume, Piazza Siena, Cambridge House Condos, and River Oaks. I did look into Lincoln Court, but leases aren't due til summer.
Could any of you tell me about what you know about these places. I know a few of them are near Cedar Springs Rd. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:22 PM
1tc

11 posts, read 39,455 times
I am straight, young professional (late 30's) & live in the Renaissance skyrise building (3225 turtle creek blvd). I love it. there is the younger party crowd (some were renters before this turned condo building & are bar workers, but it's large, & there are lots of professionals - straight & gay, retirees, young families, etc. parking garage, with gated access, 2 pools, pool deck, grills, 2 work out rooms. a park right behind us, parades go beside us, a couple blocks from the 'heart' of the gay area, gay bars, etc, a 3-7 minute walk to Starbucks & eatzis (awesome 'market'-type gourmet food to take out, & tables to eat their salads, sandwiches, coffees, etc, there). I've been here 5 years & love it. Have gay friends in the other parts of the area, too, & recommend north of lemmon, west of Oak Lawn, & around Lemmon & knight street, north of cedar springs... anything in the square from turtle creek (E) to Wycliff (W), cedar springs (s) & anywhere north of cedar springs, or south is mostly ritzy if you're east of oak lawn ave.

Old 04-14-2010, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tc View Post
I am straight, young professional (late 30's) & live in the Renaissance skyrise building (3225 turtle creek blvd). I love it. there is the younger party crowd (some were renters before this turned condo building & are bar workers, but it's large, & there are lots of professionals - straight & gay, retirees, young families, etc. parking garage, with gated access, 2 pools, pool deck, grills, 2 work out rooms. a park right behind us, parades go beside us, a couple blocks from the 'heart' of the gay area, gay bars, etc, a 3-7 minute walk to Starbucks & eatzis (awesome 'market'-type gourmet food to take out, & tables to eat their salads, sandwiches, coffees, etc, there). I've been here 5 years & love it. Have gay friends in the other parts of the area, too, & recommend north of lemmon, west of Oak Lawn, & around Lemmon & knight street, north of cedar springs... anything in the square from turtle creek (E) to Wycliff (W), cedar springs (s) & anywhere north of cedar springs, or south is mostly ritzy if you're east of oak lawn ave.
I live in the Renaissance as well, 1tc, but it's mostly out of the OP's budget, otherwise I would've definitely recommended it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas