Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 11:53 AM

96 posts, read 225,948 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking for the above within three (3) weeks. We're having trouble finding what we like. Searching for a 2-3 br; 1.2-2 ba; updated; MCM/Mod/Clean Ranch/Contemp style; $1,500-$2,000/Month. We have looked all over Lakewood/Highlands; Royal/Midway; Lovers/Tollway and have found a few Lease offers but nothing that we are interested in. Any advice/direction would be great! Thanks to all. Godspeed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 01:23 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,258,757 times
Do you have help from a Realtor? If not you should consider working with one.

Another search option is to look at homes that have been for sale on the market for over 6 months and see if they would consider leasing.

Nama

Old 04-18-2010, 04:08 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
I've heard that when they (MCM) are listed, they go FAST. So I'm not sure if you'll find a suitable rental. This one just came up in my neighborhood for sale:
8715 Stanwood Drive, Dallas, TX, 75228 - MLS #11378562 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Old 04-19-2010, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsumner View Post
Do you have help from a Realtor? If not you should consider working with one.

Another search option is to look at homes that have been for sale on the market for over 6 months and see if they would consider leasing.

Nama
we are working with four realtor's and 99% of the houses sent to us are way off in terms of what we're looking for.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper131 View Post
I've heard that when they (MCM) are listed, they go FAST. So I'm not sure if you'll find a suitable rental. This one just came up in my neighborhood for sale:
8715 Stanwood Drive, Dallas, TX, 75228 - MLS #11378562 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®
That's what everyone is telling us! We want to be the one who gets the next listing! How do we do that?

I love that sale listing you posted btw.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
tell your realtors that if they bring you another home that is NOT what you have told them you want--you won't work with them anymore...
they aren't listening--
you can put an ad on craig's list --have you done that
take out an ad in the DMN asking for what you want

send an email to any RE shop that leases/sells homes in areas you are looking giving your requirements and a BONUS for the agent that brings you the house you choose...

frankly now that the market is loosening up more people are going to want to sell than rent--

send a PM to Lakewooder who is poster here--he has rental property (not a secret) and he might know other people who do who might have something coming up you would be interested in
and frankly YOU may have to take less than you want...if you are holding out for something "perfect" you can only blame yourself for your lack of suitable property to rent--it is YOUR parameters that set the stage--you can't expect people to rent you the home of your dreams because it is what YOU want...

when we were looking for home to buy we had very specific list of what were MUST HAVES and LIKE TO HAVES on our list--we spent over three years looking for resale and/or considering buying land and building a home--we bid on three homes--one that was under contract was taken off the market because the owners' YA son developed brain tumor, two were bid-up over what we thought was fair market price (before the downturn), a builder mislead us about when a neighborhood would be ready for construction and we wasted 9 months on that...
finally in a home we really like but it has something missing that was originally on our MUST HAVE list--my husband just refused to go up in price (again -- before the downturn)--or to keep looking for the "perfect" house...

Old 04-19-2010, 07:46 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
A realtor is probably your best bet, but I understand your frustration in working with them - many don't understand architechural styles (especially if they are used to selling McMansions in the burbs).
I had a pointless converasation with a realtor many years ago about Arts and Crafts, Tudor and Prairie style homes and they had no clue what I was talking about although we have neighborhoods with huge concentrations of them.

MCMs are scattered around Dallas. We have a few in my immediate neighborhood. There is a lease MCM next door to the one for sale that comes up every now and then, but not lately. If you look at a street view map, it's to the very right.

Oak Cliff has a fair amount - around Kessler and Stevens Park. And farther south off Keist.

Old Lake Highlands is another good area to look. And Lochwood might have a couple.

But the probabilty of leasing an MCM is really low. An excellent renovated MCM commands a high price point for any neighborhood and they sell so quickly. Many homeowners may not even bother with the trouble of leasing; they'd rather sell.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:22 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
<<A realtor is probably your best bet, but I understand your frustration in working with them - many don't understand architechural styles (especially if they are used to selling McMansions in the burbs).
I had a pointless converasation with a realtor many years ago about Arts and Crafts, Tudor and Prairie style homes and they had no clue what I was talking about although we have neighborhoods with huge concentrations of them.>>

This is exactly what I've been thinking while reading this thread. Is your realtor used to selling older homes in Dallas proper or newer builds in the burbs? If it's the latter, they'll probably continue to show you the wrong thing. I must say though, I agree with Pepper that it's going to be very hard to find a MCM to rent rather than buy. There could be some smaller ones for rent in Richardson, I've noted some older neighborhoods there with small MCMs.

Another place to check is the Disney Streets, though even a rental (if they have any) would probably be over your price range.

Would you settle for renting half a modern duplex? There are some near me, I'm near Hillcrest High School. There are some that are definitely modern on the outside, don't know how the insides might have changed over the years as I haven't been in any of them.

Just a few suggestions from a fellow MCM lover. :-)

Old 04-19-2010, 11:12 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
I think you have two big problems with your "wish list":
1. MCM's are THE hottest properties in in-town Dallas right now. If you read the real estate blog on D Magazine, several have sold recently within days of listing for full asking price or above. They are scarce & are far more likely to be for sale than lease. If you had six months to sit and wait, you may find something eventually, but with a 3-week deadline, I think you need to move on and focus on ranch homes.

2. Your budget is low for what you are looking for. I think $2500-3500 is more realistic for many of the areas you are searching, especially for a niche property like MCM.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:13 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
exclusive midcentury modern on moderndallas.net « moderndallas.Blog
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas