Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 11:38 AM

49 posts, read 184,022 times

Advertisements

Hi-
So I've lived in Dallas for 10 months and I'm still not in love with it (not even a deep like). I had to move here for husband's job, so I accept that I will be living here for awhile. I feel that I am in some sort of arranged marriage with Dallas as this is what the cards dealt us.

Granted I havent been able to explore to much because of family obligations, but the only things that I found so far that are cool about Dallas are: Central Market, the Aquarium, and the All Good Cafe in Deep Ellum.

Whats your favorite things to do in Dallas? Favorite coffee shops? Favorite local galleries? Local boutiques? I'm looking for things that are uniquely Dallas.

Thanks for your help! My goal for the next month is to go out, explore, and hopefully find some love for my new city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 12:02 PM

686 posts, read 2,437,084 times
Have you been to the Bishop Arts District? There are some nice restaurats and boutiques down in that area.
Bishop Arts District :: Home

I love going to the Soda Gallery down there. Fun little store!
http://www.thesodagallery.com/index.shtml (broken link)

Old 04-29-2010, 12:13 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,302,971 times
Where do you live in Dallas?

Old 04-29-2010, 12:43 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Lake Lewisville tomorrow!!!!!...Free everything including boat rental,food and family fun...A BLAST!!!

Old 04-29-2010, 12:56 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Where do you live in Dallas?
Good question.

What activities did you enjoy doing while living in Seattle? (I assume by your username)

Old 04-29-2010, 02:19 PM

116 posts, read 418,267 times
Hi, I totally understand how you feel. I am originally from Europe and moving for my husband's job from California. I AM SCARED! We like the beach and love to skii. We have 2 children so I will be busy with them. But still... For skiing we would have to fly to Colorado, New Mexico etc.... Beach, It seems that the beach in TX is not that great. At least that's what I have read. So Mexico is the place to go? Wine tasting, there should be some in around Austin. Thanks for this post. It will help me with ideas.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:28 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
What Ive discovered is that Dallas isnt really a city you fall in love with the way you would with San Francisco or New York. Dallas is a city that has alot to offer, its cheap, it has a good economy, its international, it is relatively diverse, its full of good food of any kind you wish, good suburbs and schools, some nice lakes, and the people are nice enough and seem to welcome anyone regardless of background. What we dont have is are mountains, beaches, a moderate climate, or a large plethra of outdoor activities. We also have a very hot climate in the summer (though there isnt quite anything like a summers evening here).

Transplants tend to rate Dallas a 7 or 8 out of 10. Dont come here to fall in love with it, come here to live well, be surrounded by nice people, eat well, buy a nice house, have good schools, experience some culture (like Asiafest this Saturday in Plano!), and have enough money left over for two vacations a year and a new car.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:36 PM

LA: Thanks. We are also moving from the LA area. Yes, I have these expectations. That's why we are settling near the airport:-)

Old 04-29-2010, 02:40 PM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia1997 View Post
It seems that the beach in TX is not that great. At least that's what I have read. So Mexico is the place to go?.
Yes. A quick 2.5 hour flight to Cancun. Another 90 minutes south and you'll find perfect beaches.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:45 PM

Pepper: Are you talking about Riviera Maya??? It's a great place. But you are so right. We really dislike LA traffic. So flying might actually be quite convenient. We just have to stay positive and give Dallas a chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas