Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 07:57 PM

96 posts, read 315,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
Out of curiosity, what do you do with goats??
Well, great question.... I will let you know when we do something with them. My daughter had a friend who needed to find a home for these two Nigerian Dwarf goat kids. They are being bottle fed and they are the cutes little fury things. I have been reading that they are dairy goats and the milk is suppose to be very sweet. For us they are most likely going to be just pets and I heard they make great companion for our other livestock.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:03 PM

Plus, I love to hear the voices of the folks back home in CA when we tell them that we are doing the whole farm/ranchette thing. Next, I just may get some chickens and have fresh eggs. Life is good.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:19 PM

I wanted to add that I was a total city girl who use to visit Starbuck at least once a day. Less than a 1/2 mile away from my house and they knew my name. Now I have to travel about 15 miles to go to Starback. I found out that I don't really miss it.
Have lunch with the girls and shop at the malls do the beach thing go skiing in the local mountains and go to Disneyland about once a week. (Disney passes) I say all this to say That if I knew what I know now about Texas would I have move from CA. If I knew that I would be cleaning BS from the barn and I mean BS from my bull calf would I do it? You bet I would. I would give it all up again, in a heart beat to enjoy this little bit of heaven here in Texas.
I hope y'all have a very blessed 2008

Old 12-27-2007, 08:26 PM

875 posts, read 1,096,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasorbust View Post
Well, great question.... I will let you know when we do something with them. My daughter had a friend who needed to find a home for these two Nigerian Dwarf goat kids. They are being bottle fed and they are the cutes little fury things. I have been reading that they are dairy goats and the milk is suppose to be very sweet. For us they are most likely going to be just pets and I heard they make great companion for our other livestock.
Awwwww I bet they are cute! I asked because a lot of people do seem to have goats wandering around on ranches/farms.

If they are dairy goats, yes the milk is supposed to be really good, and you can make feta cheese out of it too.

I had a friend in southern Oregon who raised show goats. She made me a "delicious" batch of herbal flavored feta......yummmmm

Old 12-28-2007, 01:32 AM

47 posts, read 163,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lategreattex View Post
Jesus Christ!!!!!Somebody make it stop. Enough outsiders here! Enough Transplants here! I know you get all giddy about reasonable housing, but this is Texas and we have a way of life here that we would like to somehow salvage and restore. This can not happen with so damn many Transplants coming here. There are actually people who welcome the 150,000 Katrina victims and the millions of illegal aliens here more than they do Californians and Midwesterners. (possibly because at least they know there is a chance that they may have to leave someday). But come on already, over population is never a positive thing. Those affordable houses that ya'll are so drawn to will be the slums in 10 yrs or less.

Maybe you should reconsider your view of "transplants"? Actually it's the folks in Dallas that have heavily recruited my husband as a medical oncologist to run a cutting edge program at UT Southwestern. He'll be treating Dallasites with cancer. As a well published expert in his field, I'd sure want him on my side if I needed the best possible treatment!

Not to mention my background with an master's degree in education volunteering endless (free) hours tutoring struggling and gifted children in your school system.

We're sad to leave our beautiful home but happy we have a wonderful opportunity to help the people in Dallas!

Old 12-28-2007, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysrodgers View Post
Awwwww I bet they are cute! I asked because a lot of people do seem to have goats wandering around on ranches/farms.

If they are dairy goats, yes the milk is supposed to be really good, and you can make feta cheese out of it too.

I had a friend in southern Oregon who raised show goats. She made me a "delicious" batch of herbal flavored feta......yummmmm
I will have to get the receipe for that cheese from you.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasorbust View Post
I will have to get the receipe for that cheese from you.
LOL, I "wish" I knew how to make it.......I just ate it!

I did find several recipes online though. Here is just one:

Feta Cheese Recipe

Good luck!

Old 12-28-2007, 02:14 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,819,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amymaha View Post
Maybe you should reconsider your view of "transplants"? Actually it's the folks in Dallas that have heavily recruited my husband as a medical oncologist to run a cutting edge program at UT Southwestern. He'll be treating Dallasites with cancer. As a well published expert in his field, I'd sure want him on my side if I needed the best possible treatment!

Not to mention my background with an master's degree in education volunteering endless (free) hours tutoring struggling and gifted children in your school system.

We're sad to leave our beautiful home but happy we have a wonderful opportunity to help the people in Dallas!
I'm sure you and your husband are very talented and can make a great contribution to the area. Just bear in mind... that there are millions here already... transplants and natives alike... with the same, if not more... qualifications that you both have that also contribute, and have contributed to the area, for a very long time as well.

Welcome to Texas!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 12-28-2007 at 03:03 PM..

Old 12-28-2007, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amymaha View Post

Don't let the "sour grapes" spoil it for you. I have to warn you though, this isn't a very welcoming area to out-of-staters.

Oncologists are saints as far as I'm concerned; Dallas is "lucky" to have your husband accepting a position here. I'm sure you'll do well in your field as well, it sounds very rewarding.

From one transplant to another, welcome to Texas!

Old 12-28-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
I'm sure you and your husband are very talented and can make a great contribution to the area. Just bear in mind... that there are millions here already... transplants and natives alike... with the same, if not more... qualifications that you both have that also contribute, and have contributed to the area, for a very long time as well.

Welcome to Texas!
Well that sure wasn't very friendly....basically telling them they're nothing special, then welcome to Texas??

I swear I don't know where people's manners are in the metroplex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas