Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 06:32 PM

44 posts, read 83,888 times

Advertisements

I had my first experience with your Texas sized roaches earlier this week. We just moved into our rental home (I believe it was vacant for about 1 month) and I saw it on the bathroom wall. *shudder* We had unplugged the drains and I think it crawled up from the tub...I don't think it came in with our boxes. The house has been sprayed.

I'm absolutely TERRIFIED of these things now. I think I've seen only 2 in my 27 yrs of life before this recent one. It was the biggest I've ever seen! We've plugged the drains and will keep them like that when they're not in use. I'm terrified, though, of one being under the toilet rim (I assume they can swim up through the pipe? The lid is closed) or climbing out of the flat drain in the one bathroom.

I had no idea Texas (or the south, in general?) had this common problem. I hate it. I can't relax now in the house b/c I'm just so scared. I'm also terrified of them crawling on me at night or one falling down on me from the ceiling...Or being in my bowl in the cabinet, etc.

How do you deal with this? What else can we do besides regular spray, putting down some boric acid, putting bay leaves in the cabinets and closets, and making sure I vacuum regularly (we have little kids)?

I need some encouraging words I hate having to feel so on edge in my own home. I'm not sleeping well because of this fear...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 06:45 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
If you can put boric acid in crevices (take off switchplates and shoot some down your walls, too) they should all be gone in about 3 weeks. Or you could just put harnesses on them and go for a ride.....also call them palmetto bugs instead of cockroaches. The giant ones are palmetto bugs, the little ones are german cockroaches. German cockroaches are the invasive ones that take up residence in your house. The hugh ones wander in from outside; somehow calling them palmetto bugs makes them seem less nasty and more tropical. LOL!

Old 06-06-2010, 07:13 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,835,518 times
whoops - didn't read the 2nd post - duplicate comments.

The good news is that the really huge ones typically live outdoors and individually may wander into your home accidentally, but they don't take up permanent residence and colonize. The smaller ones are the ones that make you worry about infestation. I know that doesn't make it any less disgusting when one stares you down like you owe them money.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:52 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,240,907 times
I've been here my whole life and those things still creep me out. For whatever reason people here are fond of calling them water bugs, but they are indeed a roach. They can come in through drains, air ducts, and even smaller openings.

Cleaning is the best defense, but nothing is fool proof, even the best house keepers here have such unwlecome guests. Sweeping the kitchen daily and wiping down the counters helps, and never leave food out at night. Don't leave pet food out on your porch that will not only attract roaches, ants, pesky birds, but possums and raccoons.

They can't bite, thank goodness but they do carry a lot of germs.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:48 AM

438 posts, read 1,783,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach924 View Post
I'm absolutely TERRIFIED of these things now. I think I've seen only 2 in my 27 yrs of life before this recent one. It was the biggest I've ever seen! We've plugged the drains and will keep them like that when they're not in use. I'm terrified, though, of one being under the toilet rim (I assume they can swim up through the pipe? The lid is closed) or climbing out of the flat drain in the one bathroom.
Just so you don't lose your mind the first time you see it: they can fly reasonably well.

Old 06-07-2010, 07:57 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,483,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach924 View Post
How do you deal with this? What else can we do besides regular spray, putting down some boric acid, putting bay leaves in the cabinets and closets, and making sure I vacuum regularly (we have little kids)?

I need some encouraging words I hate having to feel so on edge in my own home. I'm not sleeping well because of this fear...
By getting a good exterminator and having quarterly treatments. I use Eco Safe - no bad chemicals.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:02 PM

6,822 posts, read 14,036,923 times
They have been around for millions of years so no one can terminate them forever. Like stated keep your counter tops spotless and don't leave food in the sink. Keeping the house fairly clean will eliminate infestation but there is no way in the world you can avoid the once a month traveler.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:11 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
Maybe you should try counseling..

Old 06-07-2010, 02:24 PM

8,605 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Out of all the creepy crawlies we have down here cockroaches scare me the least.

Wait 'til fire ants find something in the house they want or a couple Mediterranean Geckos bolt in when you open the front door.

Old 06-07-2010, 02:27 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,523,881 times
I never saw any palmetto bugs when I lived in Dallas. Since I moved to Houston, though....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas