Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2011, 08:49 PM

16 posts, read 35,786 times

Advertisements

I've gotten the impression that Kettering schools are just ok. Could someone elaborate what makes Centerville schools better?

I've researched on here, read on the school rating websites and even talked to some people who are from the Dayton area. One man I spoke with used to teach in the Kettering school district and had said they were wonderful but then his wife corrected him and said they were good but couldn't really compare with Centerville and he agreed.

We're in the process of trying to find a rental and struggling to find a place within our needs in Centerville. We have 3 kids (16, 13, 10) - so one in every school. I'm just trying to understand the difference between Kettering & Centerville. Should we be persistent in looking in Centerville and hope something comes available within the next couple weeks or should we give Kettering a chance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2011, 07:55 AM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times
Probably funding and parental involvement. Centerville also probably has a higher per capita rate of "professionals" and citizens with college degrees, higher incomes and higher home values, so the expectations are higher. The HS might have more advanced or college prep classes, but I don't know. That said, a good kid with parental support can certainly get a good education in Kettering.

Old 06-23-2011, 01:09 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,086,278 times
Yeah, as much as I even say Kettering schools are "just good," I still believe Kettering can give a quality education. Part of the problem is socio-economic. There are some really wealthy areas of Kettering, but also a large blue-collar population (still holding out from when GM & Delphi were still here a few years ago). Not saying though that people from a blue-collar backgorund don't value education, just that not as many do as those with professional degrees. As Joe said, it's an expectation thing. Most of those with college BA/BS degrees or higher tend to live in Centerville, Oakwood, Bellbrook, Springboro, Beavercreek, and parts of Kettering for the south and eastern suburbs.

Personally, I like Kettering because the populace shows a lot of community involvement in their city. They value their parks and tend to pass levies for schools. There is just a large amount of diversity in Kettering in a socio-economic sense. Kettering also though has higher crime, though not violent, than Oakwood or Centerville (though Beavercreek might be higher than Kettering, though that could be from having two malls and tons of retail).

In the end, I would have no qualms with living in Kettering, and many of my co-workers live there.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:51 PM

16 posts, read 35,786 times
Thanks for the input. I appreciate it!

Old 07-01-2011, 08:42 PM

70 posts, read 149,532 times
Kettering schools are good. The difference between Kettering and Centerville is that Centerville has an overall population with higher socioeconomic statuses - they simply have a larger educated population and therefore transmits that culture to their children (and by extension, the schools).

Kettering is a large piece of land and has much more variation. The West and Northern ends are very educated and affluent whilst the eastern sides are more blue collar.

From an educational perspective, Centerville schools might have a better overall culture of high academic achievement, but if you took the experiences of an AP/Honors track student at Fairmont vs CHS, I do not think you would find a significant difference.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:07 PM

9 posts, read 25,108 times
Default I'm considering Kettering and here is why-

Kettering Fairmont High School offers the IB Programme- International Baccalaureate

I just wanted it mentioned- Fairmont also offers the International Baccalaureate Programme (ibo.org)

More found here- Diploma Programme at a glance

Hope this is helpful to someone.

BB

Last edited by BattleBend; 10-30-2012 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: added more data

Old 10-31-2012, 08:08 AM

225 posts, read 462,482 times
If you are involved in your child's education I think you will find the chances of your child's success vary little whether you send them to Kettering Schools or Centerville Schools. Both offer a lot of programs that go above and beyond basic classes. If I were looking to rent I would go with Kettering because you will get a better house for a lower price and it is a wonderful community.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:18 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam989863 View Post
If you are involved in your child's education I think you will find the chances of your child's success vary little whether you send them to Kettering Schools or Centerville Schools. Both offer a lot of programs that go above and beyond basic classes. If I were looking to rent I would go with Kettering because you will get a better house for a lower price and it is a wonderful community.
Agreed. And I live in Washington Twp.

Old 11-04-2012, 11:20 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,537,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Yeah, as much as I even say Kettering schools are "just good," I still believe Kettering can give a quality education. Part of the problem is socio-economic. There are some really wealthy areas of Kettering, but also a large blue-collar population (still holding out from when GM & Delphi were still here a few years ago). Not saying though that people from a blue-collar backgorund don't value education, just that not as many do as those with professional degrees. As Joe said, it's an expectation thing. Most of those with college BA/BS degrees or higher tend to live in Centerville, Oakwood, Bellbrook, Springboro, Beavercreek, and parts of Kettering for the south and eastern suburbs.

Personally, I like Kettering because the populace shows a lot of community involvement in their city. They value their parks and tend to pass levies for schools. There is just a large amount of diversity in Kettering in a socio-economic sense. Kettering also though has higher crime, though not violent, than Oakwood or Centerville (though Beavercreek might be higher than Kettering, though that could be from having two malls and tons of retail).

In the end, I would have no qualms with living in Kettering, and many of my co-workers live there.
I believe that a good education can be had in EITHER district. (and I live in Washington Twp.) Certainly, both districts have good schools and both have involved parents. So the dtermining factor just might be finding the best "bang for your buck" in housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton