Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 07:14 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,231,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Why was he elected?
He got more votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 08:04 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
He got more votes.
That's how, not why.

Old 08-06-2012, 06:23 AM

4,479 posts, read 6,231,790 times
I give up then. Do tell.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:03 PM

2,194 posts, read 3,847,824 times
Hi all--

After thinking and doing some research I've decided to simplify the plan. I've scuppered pretty much all "city government initatives" such as the shuttle because that uses city dollars that quite frankly, the city government doesn't have. All of that is insanity. If the government fosters private development first, then the private sector will provide generously in the form of payroll and property taxes.

1) I would still go full-speed ahead with construction on I-75, with the glaring exception of the reconfiguring of the downtown ramps. Make it three thru lanes, yes, but you need a LOT more than one big exit downtown on 75. The traffic snarls would be intolerable.

2) Likewise with my idea of expanding US 35 to three lanes in each direction between Smithville Rd. and I-675 by paving over the median. An added bonus is that Riverside PD loses its #1 revenue generator.

3) And my tax plan. I'd like to change it a bit, and expand its scope.

Originally, I proposed that anybody who lived AND worked within the "special economic zone" bordered roughly by I-75 on the west and north, US 35 on the south and Keowee St. on the east would have their city taxes cut by half. And that this, hopefully, would encourage more people to live and work downtown.

But, I'm changing that a bit. I propose a total tax abatement up to the first $44,000 per year made - which is what the Mayor currently makes at his part time job - for somebody who lives and works within downtown. This would include the CBD, the convention center, Oregon, and Tech Town.

I would then expand this to include neighborhoods immediately surrounding Downtown - South Park, Midtown, etc. If you live and work in that neighborhood, you also get a tax break on the first $44,000 a year made. This increases the incentive to conduct more business in your own neighborhood - which would go a long way towards improving them.

To compensate for the slight drop in revenues (only some 2,000-odd residents live in Downtown, fewer still of those work there as well), temporarily raise the city's income tax to 2.5% from 2.25% for five years.

Of course, if you live and work in the same neighborhood, then you pay far, far less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton