Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-25-2013, 07:37 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,755,374 times

Advertisements

Dayton History Books

DAYTON HISTORY BOOKS FREE ONLINE

is _ at risk_ of going static (at best) for physical reasons. Trust me on that. Help is needed.

If you have at least an hour or so per week that you could contribute, please post someplace (one way or another). It's apparently not that complicated, more like assistant to Curt.

If you have never visited the site, the "Memories Blog" is the message board; and, Curt does try to keep hard copies of the stuff posted so all is not lost, but that's not too good of a situation.

Dayton Sux, that mass of information you have accumulated would have a much better place there (maybe with a little adjustment) than amid the 600 million weblogs out there somewhere that I'm sure you know exists. ...Not sayin' you shouldn't move on if you want to, you understand ... just saying there is a modest place for you in Greater Dayton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 12:53 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,164,539 times
Wow, tht would be awful if Dayton History Books went down!

So they need more people (like us) to contribute over there? I can, but I can also guarantee that I will have a lot more questions than answers haha

Old 08-25-2013, 02:08 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,704,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpathianPeasant View Post
Dayton History Books
is _ at risk_ of going static (at best) for physical reasons. Trust me on that. Help is needed.
CarpathianPeasant, get to the exact point.

So for this, what, exactly are we talking about here?

- Dead forums (misnamed "blogs" by the site owner)?
- Lack of sources for new article content?
- Site owner losing interest?
- Specific issues with DHBO's web hosting?
- Site owner unable to maintain or update the site due to personal issues?

There is always a drumbeat of donation/contribution talk on that site. Considering how much money people seem to be donating, it would appear that the reports of DHBO's demise are greatly exaggerated.

The articles in the Daytonology blog are superb and could all be incorporated as curated works into DHBO.

Last edited by Ohioan58; 08-25-2013 at 02:25 PM..

Old 08-25-2013, 03:44 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,755,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
Wow, tht would be awful if Dayton History Books went down!

So they need more people (like us) to contribute over there? I can, but I can also guarantee that I will have a lot more questions than answers haha
"Contribute" is not the best possible word, although you can do that, too. "Assist" (as I said in the opening post) might be better.

I think Curt kind of expected me to post a message on the DHBO message board, but it's already been somewhat discussed there a couple of times so I thought I would post it in City-Data.

If even you are just vaguely interested, get in there for contact information and send Curt a message (email, snail mail or maybe even voice mail) and say something like you got the idea he could use some assistance and you'd like to know how you might help, not much in the way of details given. I use a different ID on anything Dayton, but "Carpathian Peasant" is in my email signature as well as my legal name.

Although I posted the topic this morning, I have not yet had a chance to let him know I did. Hopefully I will get to doing so within a little while, but that doesn't mean my email will be immediately read or will even go through. You can also send me a private message if there's a mix up of some sort. I'm not at liberty to discuss some things at all, never mind openly online.

Postscript: okay email sent.

Last edited by CarpathianPeasant; 08-25-2013 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: postscrpt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
View detailed profiles of: